PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?

Options

Comments

• Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    I signed up for the 12 month service. I've no idea as to how come there was a flurry to the old address.

edit: I may be going back to old address in 12 months or before, so don't want to keep changing address with all the senders.
    BTW, I received some redirected mail at the new redirected address today, so, the redirect is still active, but prone to 'blips'.

This happened to us.
    Turned out that the regular postie was on holiday and their cover didn't bother to check if any redirects were in place.
    I rang the local sorting office so that it was rectified immediately.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I signed up for 12 month redirection 6 months ago. It seems to be ok but we were living in a rented property before and I know the landlord wouldn't bother to send any post on so can't be sure we are getting everything.

We did get an item of post addressed to, we assume, the new tenant. His name is nothing at all like our surname. So that's a bit worrying
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This happened to us.
    Turned out that the regular postie was on holiday and their cover didn't bother to check if any redirects were in place.
    You have to wonder the sort of service they must be running! All it would take is for a manager/supervisor to instruct the cover to ensure the redirects are checked properly (Guess Royal Mail works harder spewing out glossy brochures with corporate lingo than doing the basics properly).
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have to wonder the sort of service they must be running! All it would take is for a manager/supervisor to instruct the cover to ensure the redirects are checked properly (Guess Royal Mail works harder spewing out glossy brochures with corporate lingo than doing the basics properly).

Why would they need to instruct them? Pretty much every duty in an RM office with have redirections.
  • OceanSound
    Options
    I'm really starting to wonder if it's worth it!. Yet again, I've received a family member's letter and she has received my letters (at old address).

To be honest, I've seen quite a bit of deterioration in Royal Mail’s service. Sometimes I send letters using signed-for/'track' feature and I'm not able to see the tracking. (They are probably not scanned properly at each station)

You have to wonder, we pay first world prices for a service and they still fail to deliver. I've seen much more efficient service in third world country postal services!
  • OceanSound
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Why would they need to instruct them? Pretty much every duty in an RM office with have redirections.
    I would say that if someone is not capable of doing something properly, they would need to be instructed on how to do it properly.
  • custardy
    Options
    I would say that if someone is not capable of doing something properly, they would need to be instructed on how to do it properly.

alright !!!!!! wind your neck in.
    They have staff doing their job including redirections.
    Unless an issue flags up,they arent going round them every day
    I'm really starting to wonder if it's worth it!. Yet again, I've received a family member's letter and she has received my letters (at old address).

To be honest, I've seen quite a bit of deterioration in Royal Mail!!!8217;s service. Sometimes I send letters using signed-for/'track' feature and I'm not able to see the tracking. (They are probably not scanned properly at each station)

You have to wonder, we pay first world prices for a service and they still fail to deliver. I've seen much more efficient service in third world country postal services!

Each station?
  • AnnieP6
    AnnieP6 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 August 2018 at 4:30PM
    Options
    We are about to sign up for mail redirection but notice that they want originals of bank statements/credit card statements, etc, for ID purposes.
    We do not have any as we always opt for the paperless option.
    Is this demand just a bit antiquated these days?
  • custardy
    Options
    AnnieP6 wrote: »
    We are about to sign up for mail redirection but notice that they want originals of bank statements/credit card statements, etc, for ID purposes.
    We do not have any as we always opt for the paperless option.
    Is this demand just a bit antiquated these days?

Did you set up online?
  • AnnieP6
    AnnieP6 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We are thinking of setting this up at our local post office. It seems they still want original documents. We have no idea how to get around this as we do not have paper statements for anything.

Instructions state:

Two different utility bills from the last 6 months (please do not bring mobile phone or a store/charge card statement. Bills printed from the Internet are not valid)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure