Cheaper Water Bills Article Discussion

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    QueenTea wrote: »
    If you are not able to have a water meter fitted because you live in a block of flats you may not know that Thames Water also offer a single occupancy tariff. I have just received £400 rebate as they didn't tell me about this tariff and I had it backdated to when I first enquired about having a meter fitted. Other providers may offer similar tariffs to those who live alone.

This applies for all water companies and not just flats and single occupiers. It is important to appreciate that you must firstly apply for a meter to be fitted, even though you are aware it is not possible to fit a meter.

Any property regardless of size or number of occupants can be given the opportunity to go on an 'assessed tariff'. The rates for this tariff are shown on each companies website. Whilst in most cases an assessed tariff is cheaper than Rateable Value charges, it isn't always the case.
  • gwynfil
    gwynfil Posts: 99
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ;)Hope I'm in the right place to discuss my water bill.

I live in a one bedroom flat with my husband in England. We recently had our local water company come and look in to putting water meters in to the property. After an assessment, they decided it could not be done- far too much work and shared pipes etc and I'm relieved about that, as access to the water pipes are in my flat for half the block. That may not be the technical term- but you get my drift.

I recently received a revised bill, which is now an Assessed Charged Bill from the company that came to assess the situation. Well, that was a lovely surpise- £145 pounds less a year.

Great. But I pay two lots of water bills. The other water company is for the wastewater taken away from the property.

:) I wondered if they would reduce their bill too now?

Has anyone had any experience of this happening? or should I just contact the company directly? Any ideas welcome.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,589
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Usually your waste charge is based on your water charges and the waste company gets notified by the water supply co.

So I'd guess that if you are now on an assessed charge then the supply co will notify the waste co of the fact and your sewerage charges should get reduced in due course. I'd give it a couple of weeks and if you don't hear from the sewerage co, give them a ring to find out what's happening.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • gwynfil
    gwynfil Posts: 99
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thank-you for your reply. Makes total sense and I will do that. I'll wait a while for the changes/admin to happen and if I don't hear, I'll get in touch with them. The Assessed Charge has only been in place a few days, so it's logical the other company will need some time to change their records too.
  • Cardew
    Forumite
    StineRW wrote: »
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxis running a water saving campaign that shares fun, simple tips that fits your lifestyle. Take the xxxxxxxxxx- it will only take a minute - and you're even in the running to win an iPad. Happy saving!

Surely all 3 of these posts are just SPAM - advertising for Hxxxxxxxxx
  • ive been fighting united utilities since 2014 as they said ide be better having a meter put in as being single it will be cheaper so had meter put in in 2010 as ide had one before when living in n.wales and was paying £192 that was up to 2004 before i bought this 3 bed house then in cheshire i did not think it would be any dearer as im out to work 10 hrs a day and only have one shower 2 machine washers a week 3 toilet flushers a day 3 bowls of water that it so my bill has gone up from £284 in 2014 to £532 2015 £609 2016 £512 2- £649 2018 im paying more then any one in my area even familys with 3 and 4 people living in the same houses as my friend who lives up the road from me theres 3 of them and there only paying just over 345 pound now theyve come out united utilities looked at everthing i was doing and agree that seems a lot of water for one person they want 80 pound if i want them to take the meter out to check it working properly any ideas any one as goner block payment soon until they sort it out
  • Cardew
    Forumite
    paul_agnew wrote: »
    any ideas

Welcome to the forum.

A leak perhaps?
  • I’m with South West water and not only am I not seeing a price drop, I’m seeing a price hike!! But my annual bill is £926.40 for a 3 bed semi which is considerably more than the £491 you have quoted as an average bill cost!!! Why am I being ripped off so hugely?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,589
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If you've got a water meter then there's nothing stopping you going out and reading it frequently to see when it's all being used and to see if you can do something about reducing your consumption.

By monitoring your own consumption you can see what's going on and even be able to identify problems like leaks or excessive use.

Just waiting until the bill comes in and then having a whinge is too late, because you've used it already.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Forumite
    Kellyt09 wrote: »
    I’m with South West water and not only am I not seeing a price drop, I’m seeing a price hike!! But my annual bill is £926.40 for a 3 bed semi which is considerably more than the £491 you have quoted as an average bill cost!!! Why am I being ripped off so hugely?

Welcome to the forum.

The reason you are paying so much is that you live in the South West and water charges there are by a long way the most expensive in UK - over 3 times more than the cheapest area.

The reason, apart from the stupidity of privatising water, is that Devon and Cornwall cover a very large area and have relatively little industry and population to cover the costs.

Also you must pay to keep the beaches nice and clean so we visitors can enjoy our holidays;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback