Travel credit cards

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JeffMinter wrote: »
    Just came back from Norway after using the Revolut card... only worked once, for a 100kr ATM withdrawal. Had to use my ordinary bank card for the rest of the trip... spent over £50 on exchange fees as a result!!!
    Can you say how it didn't work, declined at payment terminal, PIN problem, etc? Did it fail in ATM after the first time? Have you tried it back in the UK? Any indication of what the problem is?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • I have also been refused with a credit score of 522
  • Given there are no fees on overseas spending/cash and only 12.9% interest on cash withdrawls, would it be possible to pre-load the card with cash before going on holiday and using the card just to withdraw cash while on holiday to avoid any charges on cash. Any left over cash at the end could be used up with "ordinary" spending afterwards. Is there a catch? Looks like would be more convenient than the standard pre paid cash cards.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    steadyed wrote: »
    Given there are no fees on overseas spending/cash and only 12.9% interest on cash withdrawls, would it be possible to pre-load the card with cash before going on holiday and using the card just to withdraw cash while on holiday to avoid any charges on cash ...
    Presumably you're talking about the Creation Everyday card. Other Creation cards don't have this facility.

What you suggest is against their terms and conditions - they may think you are money laundering - and the account may be closed. People probably do it but it's risky.
  • greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Used this card for 4 days in Paris and it was great. Paid it off as soon as I got home.

Wish the limit would be increased a little though as £1000 is usually fine for me if hotel is prepaid but it's a little too low for things like car hire etc

What limits have people got? I'm a high earner, poor credit, but no defaults/CCJs or lates. (Basically just a pay-the-minimum type for many years).
  • Hi
    I have just received my updated Halifax Clarity Card.
    Looking through the accompanying booklet "Credit Card Terms and Conditions, Part B: Additional Important Items", it says on p8
    "Section B5. Fees and Charges.
    Non-Sterling Transaction fee. Purchases. This fee applies if you make a purchase transaction in a non-Sterling currency.
    Cash transaction. This fee applies if you make a cash transaction in a non-Sterling currency."

Is this the end of "free" transactions abroad?

Regards
    vatuwaqa02
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    vatuwaqa02 wrote: »
    Is this the end of "free" transactions abroad
    If you read it properly you'll see that the fees are listed as 0p / 0%...
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dj1471 wrote: »
    If you read it properly you'll see that the fees are listed as 0p / 0%...

Exactly. As soon as I got mine I went through the T&C's with a fine toothed comb looking for changes in foreign transaction charges.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    What it seems to have done is structure the T&C so that they will not require a wholesale rewrite should they decide to introduce charges at a future date. Just change the amounts in A5

So it might be the beginning of the end.......
  • dzug1 wrote: »
    What it seems to have done is structure the T&C so that they will not require a wholesale rewrite should they decide to introduce charges at a future date. Just change the amounts in A5

So it might be the beginning of the end.......

More likely a one size fits all way of making a T&C change on a large range of credit cards, many of which are no longer on sale.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback