PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Home baked pressies?

Hi people. I am seriously unable to afford to splash out at all this xmas, so, I thought maybe I might bake instead. Some nice xmas biscuits, rum truffles, flapjacks etc and package them up nice in small boxes or cellophane and make like a little hamper, then that way its alot cheaper than buying things and its alot more personal, just wonder what others think? Dont want to offend anyone buy not buying anything, but I can't see I have much option!

CC limits £26000

Long term CC debt £0

Total low rate loan debt £3000

Almost debt free feeling, priceless.

Ex money nightmare, learnt from my mistakes and never going back there again, in control of my finances for the first time in my adult life and it feels amazing. 

Comments

• willa
    willa Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That sounds lovely! Very thoughtful and will be obvious it took time, care and effort.
    Have you got odd bits lying around house that you can decorate them with? You can get ribbon dead cheap sometimes from markets, sometimes bags of lengths of different ribbons. Also empty jars for preserves if you were going to go down that road?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

':eek: Beam me up NOW Scotty!'

:p
  • I think Homemade pressies are a lovely idea! I saw some lovely recipes in the Christmas magazines in the GPs today and thought I wished my MiL wasn't such a snob about presents.

Might be worth you checking out the Xmas Moneysaving forum, lots of ideas on there!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • willa
    willa Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Or cannabalise your Christmas cards off other people and stick nice pics from them on the hampers to decorate cost-free?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

':eek: Beam me up NOW Scotty!'

:p
  • i would be happy to receive such gifts. I bought little trays from hobbycraft last year and bought retro sweets from wilkos and made an 80's retro sweet box and decorated it with printed banner from the computer and ribbon, everyone loved them, then saw similar things for £10-£15!! cost me £3!! each and they were great. Go for it.
    Food and Smellies Shop target £50 pw - managed average of £49 per week in 2013 down to £38.90 per week in 2016
  • rosekitten
    rosekitten Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    those mini sweet/cake cases 44p in asda
    bake mini muffins in them or get a
    bar of chocolate27p in Asda,make
    mini rice crispy cakes.Really popular
    with the kids and the adults too who
    always fancy these things and seem to
    prefer the neat size.
    :j:j:j
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I would love to recieve prezzies like that.
    Have you thought of Chutneys & maybe jams and shortbread:j:j:j
  • I am making 6 gingerbread houses this year for young un's plus old fashioned coconut ice, truffles and peanut brittle for the oldies
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • jennihen
    jennihen Posts: 6,500 Forumite
    I made biscotti last year for my more 'cosmopolitan' friends - ok the snobbier ones!!!:rotfl:
    One life.
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A tin of shortbread only needs flour butter and sugar. Don't be tempted to use marge, it just isn't the same!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    jennihen wrote: »
    I made biscotti last year for my more 'cosmopolitan' friends - ok the snobbier ones!!!:rotfl:

Do you have a recipe? THat is such a good idea!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family