Total noob, PPI query

Eh up.

I'm not convinced that I ever had PPI for loans, credit cards or mortgages...if I did, I certainly didn't take it out knowingly.

However, I have NO IDEA who I have had cards and loans with from 5 years ago and older (I tended to take a credit card with a 0% period and then do the 0% balance transfer thing and cancel/cut up the old cards) so I have no idea where to start looking.

There have been several companies advertising on the radio who claim that they can actually chase all of that up without any paperwork from me.

Frankly I'm tempted; 70% of something is bigger than 100% of nowt.

So, questions:

1. Is there a way to find out who I borrowed from and if they missold me PPI dating back say...20 years? I tried the MSE Credit Club but my report only goes back five or six years.

2. If there isn't...does anyone know a good (comparative term, I know) claims company I can use...like I said, I'd rather have 70% of something than 100% of nothing.

I have read through a few threads on the use of claims companies and all of them have descended into name calling and arguing...if you can be kind and just answer the questions I've asked, that would be really really appreciated.

Thanks all!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There will be no claim company recommendations here. If any do appear, they are spam.
  • Johnny_B
    Johnny_B Posts: 8 Forumite
    There will be no claim company recommendations here. If any do appear, they are spam.

...and in answer to the first question?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Your credit files show the last 6 years.

The rest is in your head or your filing.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Johnny_B wrote: »
    ...and in answer to the first question?
    You could write to all the major lenders enquiring if you ever had PPI with them. They are unlikely to have records going back more than six years though..

No claim company can do any more than this..
  • Johnny_B
    Johnny_B Posts: 8 Forumite
    You could write to all the major lenders enquiring if you ever had PPI with them. They are unlikely to have records going back more than six years though..

No claim company can do any more than this..

Ah, given my dodgy memory and lack of paperwork it looks like a non-starter then. Well, if nothing else you've saved me some time! Cheers!
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Claims companies tell lies, there is no information database on who had products / PPI etc they just ask you to remember and try and write to everyone with the same template and hope something sticks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure