Blogging

Options

Comments

• Moominmamma89
    Options
    Hi all - been really interesting to read this thread and think i may set up my own blog. Just wondering If you had the choice when buying a domain name would you go for the.com or .co.uk option?

X
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 June 2017 at 4:06PM
    Options
    Doesn't make a difference really

There are . blog domains as well

The art is getting the blog picked up via searches rather than the domain , I have a very niche blog that comes up high on Google as it's probably one of only 2 or 3 on the subject , it's on WordPress and has no domain names , just the free WordPress link
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ilona wrote: »
    I am still on the old forum layout, don't know if it makes a difference to be on the new one. I tried it and didn't like it.

Click on User name, drop down box, click on Visit Homepage. Should work, mine does.

Ilona

PS. Luke has added his Homepage, veneta hasn't.

I cannot see a link to a homepage in either of their profiles.

I have a blogging site, mainly dedicated to teaching - but I havent done much on it recently. I will probably expand it to things like mental well being and such like. Just because I like writing and if it makes money then all the better.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    mikep22 wrote: »
    I cannot see a link to a homepage in either of their profiles.

I have a blogging site, mainly dedicated to teaching - but I havent done much on it recently. I will probably expand it to things like mental well being and such like. Just because I like writing and if it makes money then all the better.

I can't see a link to your Homepage in your profile, you could add it and see if it brings more traffic.

Not sure why you can't see mine, or Luke's, they are there. Fallen Angel also has a link in her profile. Maybe something to do with the device you are using. I am on an old Dell desktop with windows XP. not sure about these handheld gadgets.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Jenna_Appleseed
    Jenna_Appleseed Posts: 4,873 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the drop down doesn't work, links to members homepage's (if they've added one) is on the Contact tab of their profile - at least on the green version of the forum.
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • ellasmommy
    ellasmommy Posts: 2,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Some great tips on here. I have just started a blog on what i like talking about (celeb/tv/music) and I am obviously at the early stages of getting no traffic through...:o but i will plug away for a few months and hope for the best!

Will pop the link on my profile if anyone cares to look. Feel free to dm me any tips as this is a completely new walking ground for me!
    Do good and good will come to you.
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    ellasmommy wrote: »
    Some great tips on here. I have just started a blog on what i like talking about (celeb/tv/music) and I am obviously at the early stages of getting no traffic through...:o but i will plug away for a few months and hope for the best!

Will pop the link on my profile if anyone cares to look. Feel free to dm me any tips as this is a completely new walking ground for me!

I assume that you have found a good blog template and that you have a good domain name linked to it. If you want to create posts that will get you traffic, you should always keep an eye on the trends. Your article should be based on what people talk about. Then it's all about the right keywords. Choose those that will make people feel that they must click on your article.
  • McDizzle
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of starting up a blog. I have little experience with website hosting and was looking for some thoughts on the sites people choose to host their blog's and the reasons why so I can weigh them up based on the thoughts of people who are using them directly.

I am going to try and post at least once per week and I would like to try and make some money from it in the long term. I know a little bit about banner ads / google adsense so any help on how to prepare my blog so that if it is good enough to make money it can do would be useful too.

Thank you all in advance.
  • mickeymouse303
    Options
    I've used 123-reg and it's affordable and manageable. No complaints so far. :)
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    McDizzle wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of starting up a blog. I have little experience with website hosting and was looking for some thoughts on the sites people choose to host their blog's and the reasons why so I can weigh them up based on the thoughts of people who are using them directly.

I am going to try and post at least once per week and I would like to try and make some money from it in the long term. I know a little bit about banner ads / google adsense so any help on how to prepare my blog so that if it is good enough to make money it can do would be useful too.

Thank you all in advance.

You will need to post more regularly then that I would imagine. I have a blog (which I could advertise better) - and I have around 100 people viewing each one. I dont make any money (its not really for that purpose). In order to get people coming back the content really needs to be daily IMHO.

As for hosts. I use 1 and 1. No complaints and some wordpress themes which are easy to implement.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport