Stopping spending

Hi debt free and DFW,

We've all been in the same boat at one point or another weather its been the big spends or the little that have grown...

What is the most random thing you have done to stop yourself from spending,
I've put my credit card in a tub of water in the freezer to stop the "oh its only something small i'll just put in on the CC" This served 2 things it there was something I really wanted/needed I could pull my card out of the freezer and let it defrost this give time to think weather I really really want this item to the its an emergency and I must break the ice/put it in hot water to melt it quicker.

I personally don't do well with cash as I feel I have no control on where its going and when its gone my thoughts are "where did it go?" where as on my card I can see via apps/online banking what and how much I've spend, when I was really budgeting I used my revoult card as its a prepaid card so only putting so much on.

Now however I have a CC on my phone which makes it easy to just swipe my phone :eek::eek::eek:
Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Scratched off the cvv on the back of all cards and damaged the mag strip as well - stopped me spending online and mostly stopped getting cash out of machines.

That was a few years ago.
  • Storeit
    Storeit Posts: 5 Forumite
    Wow you actually "froze" your own credit card! That's amazing! I tried using an envelope system for expense and spending and it sort of worked. Luckily I've managed to avoid most of the issues with debt around credit cards.
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I write down all my purchases on a spreadsheet. Once you start writing it down and get easily look back on it all, you can starting seeing areas of where money can be saved. It also helps that I am not addicted to shopping.
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Booked to work extra shifts. Can't spend while working and too tired afterwards. So tired.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    For the little stuff it is about thinking twice how much is in that budget pot and will it last if I spend now.

For the bigger stuff make a list of needs&wants and stuff that is budgeted for looking forward.

There will be a price where a purchase can be brought forward to save money or a want will be cheap enough to have a treat over something else from the treat pot.

Just remember to update the budget

If you have space bulk buy everyday stuff when cheap can free up money.

Proper budgets have a plan at least a year ahead.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Every penny is a prisoner. I will not spend a single one of them without good reason - and even then I'll think twice.
    Don't buy something you don't need just because it's cheap - you'll end up with something you don't need, and no money.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • A_Random_Man
    A_Random_Man Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I cut up my credit card immediately after I use it for whatever I need, then I don't feel the need to spend on it and I just pay balance over time

EF - £1025/£2000 (51.25%)
    Debt Remaining: £0.00 - Debt Free
  • Don't go into shops ;) My spending definitely decreased after I stopped popping into shops 'for a look'. So much for "looking" being free :rotfl: Ditto Amazon.

I now only go into shops with a specific purchase in mind, and if I see something I want, I wait a few days/a week before purchasing - the urge usually disappears by then.
  • astrocytic_kitten
    astrocytic_kitten Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 17 April at 2:23PM
    [quote=[Deleted User];76061168]Don't go into shops ;) My spending definitely decreased after I stopped popping into shops 'for a look'[/QUOTE]

Exactly this! I realised that browsing online shops had become my default activity when I was really tired and wanting something mindless to do...I’m nowhere near cracking the shopping thing, but stopping that and finding other things to do has made a huge difference.
    Debt at LBM (Dec 2018): £23,167
    Debt free Feb 2021
  • I'm the same as the last 2 posters !

I never, ever, go into shops 'just for a look'.

I only go into the shop/s I need to buy the items on my list.

Same with online - I never go on to 'just look', by looking around (wherever it is) you're actually looking for something to spend money on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure