feel like i cannot live

Comments

• Fiona_CW
    Fiona_CW Posts: 128
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you want a more understanding forum then go over to the Debt free wannabe board
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 July 2019 at 4:22PM
    I think the debt free wannabee board also has a template letter telling creditors only to contact you by letter, which you may find useful.

Are you looking for ways to pay off the debt without being harassed, or are you looking for other options such as a DMP or IVA?
    Have you contacted one of the free debt help charities such as step-change?

You appear to have been in a similar situation two years ago - have things got better or worse since then?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You are considered to be in persistent debt if, over an 18 month period, you have been paying off more in interest and charges than you have been paying off the balance.

Once you have been categorised as being in Persistent debt, the bank will perform a further check on your payment history 9 months later. If, over that 9 month period, you have been paying off more balance than interest (i.e. if you increase your payments), then you will be considered out of persistent debt. If you're still paying off more interest than balance then you'll get another set of letters etc and then if you're *still* in persistent debt another 9 months later (i.e. 18 months after the original letter) they'll stop your card.

Short version: Once you're flagged as being in persistent debt, you'll stay there for at least 9 months. If you've increased your payments, that is good, and it is likely that at the next checkpoint you'll be taken out.

It's also worth noting - the banks are asking for more to be grasping. They're doing this because they have to, because it saves you a lot of money in the long run. They'd much rather you just kept paying the minimum as they make far more profit that way.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    little8571 wrote: »
    Im sorry but maybe coming here was a big mistake, it still seems to be a place where people would rather judge than help, goodbye

Not in any of the responses has anyone judged you. All of the responses to your post were intended to be helpful. You need to bear in mind that not everyone is prone to wrap their advice in cotton wool so some replies may be short and to the point - but that does not mean that they are not intended to be helpful.

I hope you manage to resolve your situation but, if you are already struggling mentally and sensitive to the way in which people respond to you then perhaps an internet forum is not the right place for you to seek help. Seek out one of the debt charities and I am sure that you will get the help that you need. Remember that your situation is manageable and your debts can be resolved with the right help.
  • little8571 wrote: »
    Apologies i thought i had made it more obvious in my post about the minimum payment increase.
    Im not behind with my mortgage, in fact im not behind with one single bill.

Im sorry but maybe coming here was a big mistake, it still seems to be a place where people would rather judge than help, goodbye

If you do come back, I would also recommend the Debt Free board and a possible DMP (Debt Management Plan). Don't forget to build an emergency fund before starting one. You do that by informing the creditors and saving a few months payments before starting the DMP. Read the Debt Free board, I know it is long but plenty of help from people who have "been there and bought the t-shirt".
    Paddle No 21 :wave:

This is a very disappointing response and, in itself, is very judgemental of those trying to help you. You need to re-engage with the forum. If you feel you have been judged, you have every right to say so but please make it clear just what that judgement is so we can understand.
    Hi all, i have come on here because i am at my wits end.
    I have been classed as one of those people in persistent debt, why because i was stupid and built up balances on credit cards.

Now i like others have been receiving the you are in persistent debt letters and i thought you know what i will pay extra because it makes sense.

Now even after paying extra i am getting persistent letters about persistent debt, and to top it all off now after every time i pay a credit card i get texts telling me to pay more than the minimum when i already am.

I even accepted a £100 increase from Barclaycard at their insistence which meant i had to cut other things such as food as prescriptions.

I took more hours on at work and am trying really hard, but now i feel like i am being hounded on a daily basis, letters and now texts, what next people at the door every time i pay on time and over the minimum amount.

I understand the persistent debt issues, im not an idiot but after another text today i feel like i cant go on.. yes i feel suicidal because they wont leave me alone!

Is this what it feels like to have the bailiffs at your door on a daily basis because if this is how its going to be i may as well give up.

The credit card companies asked me to up my payments, i did what they asked and now they want more, when will it end.

I know persistent debt is an issue, i like many many others wish i was debt free but t the moment i cant be because i can only earn so much.

I know there are others out there like me who always meet the payment dates and always pay more than the minimum, but are there others out there like me who are being hounded or feel in despair, if so please can you share your stories, help people in the same situation feel like there is some hope and that its worth making the effort.

Please help as i cant go on with this and don't know what to do for the good.

I did write to Martin to highlight the issue its having on peoples mental health but didn't get a reply, i expect he is busy but i feel like this issue needs addressing so that all concerned can be in a good place.

Firstly take a look here: [URL="ake a look here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-plan/"]https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-plan/[/URL]

It's easy for some people to say "I don't know why they get into debt- but many do, including myself.

A problem shared is a problem halved - talking can be really helpful and perhaps help you realise that many people relate to your issues.

I hope things get sorted. Take care.
  • eco_warrior
    eco_warrior Posts: 563 Forumite
    Its a shame the thread took the turn it did, I hope the OP reappears.

Telling someone to work harder could easily be viewed as judging.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Its a shame the thread took the turn it did, I hope the OP reappears.

Telling someone to work harder could easily be viewed as judging.

Fair comment; telling someone to work 'harder' does imply they aren't doing so at the moment. However, in defence of the post that mentioned working, it said to 'work more'. To me that is not judgmental but, if you feel trapped by your circumstances, I guess you could take it the wrong way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure