experiences ordering glasses online.

Options
Does anyone have any recent experience with buying glasses online especially with high-index/thinner lenses.

the prescription is (reasonably) high -6,-7 so I am worried about getting it right.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I ordered some from a UK firm but could not see through them at all. I returned them, and the firm said they were correct! Got my money back in the end.

I get mine from Specsavers across the road for £25 per pair now, and they are fine. :)
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have used Glasses Direct a few times and they were fine.
    Last time was 2 pairs, one reading one distance for £16 when there was a MSE offer on.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    I ordered some from a UK firm but could not see through them at all. I returned them, and the firm said they were correct! Got my money back in the end.

I get mine from Specsavers across the road for £25 per pair now, and they are fine. :)

We've got them online & had no problems. Specsavers on the other hand were awful, they gave me varifocals I couldn't read with then blamed me for having too sensitive eyes!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    We've got them online & had no problems. Specsavers on the other hand were awful, they gave me varifocals I couldn't read with then blamed me for having too sensitive eyes!

Did you get varifocals online
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »

I wondered if you could get varifocals online thought perhaps not because of all the measuring they have to do for them. Don't know if you sent an old pair in they would be able to do them.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 July 2019 at 5:14PM
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »

No, just reading glasses.
    The whole saga is too long for here, I just wanted to point out to others that Specsavers are not to be relied upon, in my experience.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    No, just reading glasses.
    The whole saga is too long for here, I just wanted to point out to others that Specsavers are not to be relied upon, in my experience.
    Specsavers are a franchise, so there are good and not so good branches in our family's experience of buying at two ends of the same county.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have used https://www.glasses2you.co.uk 3 times in the last 6 months with no problems.
    They gave me good advice on the phone and I bought some"no line" bifocals which are not advertised on line but were a replacement for a pair of £500 varifocals which I could no longer use.
    Also had a pair of reading glasses reglazed for my wife with transitions and their gold package which reduces the thickness etc.
    Takes about 5-7 working days and you can track progress.
    Normally they have discount of about 30% for existing customers but you can get 40% first time if you submit the sign up email.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I've used SelectSpecs a few times to reglaze frames (with thinned lenses), they've been fine. They're the only online supplier I've been able to find that can cope with my high index prescription.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure