IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter of Claim - BW Legal/NCP

Hi all,

I have just received a letter of claim from BW Legal on behalf of NCP for £160, relating to a 'Parked without payment of parking charge' contravention in October last year that I have no recollection of.

I have read the Newbies thread and will be putting together a response form the available templates later on today, but just had a couple of questions relating to this specific case which I was hoping you could offer advice on, and also wanted to start up a thread in preparation of the inevitable-sounding County Court Claim.

1. I assume the correct course of action now is to follow the advice on post 2 of the newbies thread and send a robust response and then follow up correspondence accordingly?

2. Prior to this letter I had only received one notification of this parking charge from a debt collectors. I am assuming this was owing to a change of address in November last year, but does the fact I have not received any letters form NCP in the first instance have any bearing in my response letter?

3. Does the fact they have misspelled my name on the Letter of Claim have any relevance?

Thank you in advance for any advice; this letter was a bit of a shock and day-ruiner yesterday, so I'm hoping it can be resolved without having to pay out!

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Manc88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have just received a letter of claim from BW Legal on behalf of NCP for £160, relating to a 'Parked without payment of parking charge' contravention in October last year that I have no recollection of.

I have read the Newbies thread and will be putting together a response form the available templates later on today, but just had a couple of questions relating to this specific case which I was hoping you could offer advice on, and also wanted to start up a thread in preparation of the inevitable-sounding County Court Claim.

1. I assume the correct course of action now is to follow the advice on post 2 of the newbies thread and send a robust response and then follow up correspondence accordingly?

2. Prior to this letter I had only received one notification of this parking charge from a debt collectors. I am assuming this was owing to a change of address in November last year, but does the fact I have not received any letters form NCP in the first instance have any bearing in my response letter?

3. Does the fact they have misspelled my name on the Letter of Claim have any relevance?

Thank you in advance for any advice; this letter was a bit of a shock and day-ruiner yesterday, so I'm hoping it can be resolved without having to pay out!

Don't be shocked, it's happening daily.

We have noticed a few NCP claims going through BWLegal
    of late and we wonder why. Don't NCP read this form
    to understand what they are in for ????

BWLegal - the list of failures growing
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5672664&highlight=bw+legal+the+list

Misspelling your name has no bearing, the courts take
    into account high intelligence and low intelligence

The £160 IS A FAKE ADDON which the courts do not
    appreciate. If they take you to court it's the face
    value of the ticket being £100

Were the debt collectors DRP ??? DRP offer a no win
    no fee service and as they did not win with you, there
    is no charge ? Something BWLegal would need to explain
    to a judge

All about debt collectors here
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5859454&highlight=debt+collectors+drp
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    1. Correct

2. Have you now updated your address with the DVLA? Two separate notifications, one for driving licence, one for V5C (logbook). Failure to do so, you could be in line for a real fine - £1,000.

3. Very little. How badly 'wrong' is it? Normally they do an electronic uplift of it from your DVLA records. Time to check your V5C.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Manc88
    Manc88 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Thanks both for the speedy responses.

beamerguy - unfortunately I disposed of the the debt collector letter and can't recall the name of the collector - it was the first I'd heard of the parking charge, so assumed it was some sort of scam/scare tactic to try and extort money... but now this >.<

Umkomaas - yes, drivers licence and V5C have been updated, which I guess is why I am now receiving these letters (assume the initial correspondences went to previous address before I'd updated). There is just an extra letter in the name; will check my V5C when I start drafting my response later. Is it worth noting in my response that I did not receive any PCNs from NCP, or is that irrelevant?
  • Umkomaas
    yes, drivers licence and V5C have been updated, which I guess is why I am now receiving these letters (assume the initial correspondences went to previous address before I'd updated).
    No, because they can only access your data held by the DVLA once per parking event. They can't go back and check later whether there has been any change.

They will have used a tracing agent - which is positive for you, as had they continued to correspond through the former address and you were blissfully unaware of any of this, court papers served there would have ended, more than likely, in a default CCJ against you and your credit-worthiness trashed. Then you'd have some real trouble untangling that.
    Is it worth noting in my response that I did not receive any PCNs from NCP, or is that irrelevant?
    Yes, include that, although you'll know they will counter it.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• Manc88
    edited 28 August 2018 at 9:41AM
    Thanks Umkomaas,

Having looked at the Newbies thread, Daniel San's template appears to be the best fit for this case. I just have a few of question with regards to the below draft:

1. What signature should I use on the letter? When reading the newbies I see there is a note about not putting your own name, but is that just if I am not registered keeper?

2. Am I better sending this via email or letter or does it not really matter?

3. The LBC states under the heading "Particulars of Debt:" On x, you were granted a limited contractual licence to enter the land known as ("Site"), which is managed and operated by Our Client. In return, you were to abide by certain terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") which were prominently displayed on the signage erected in situ by Our Client. On x, you breached the Terms and Conditions by Parked without payment of the parking charge ("Breach")...

Does this make points 5 and 6 of the list in the response irrelevant or is it still worth including?

3.1 Is a breach of Terms and Conditions different to a contractual breach?

4. I have only made a few amendments to the original template (highlighted in orange). Are these ok?

5. I genuinely have no recollection of the incident in question - the carpark was one I used to use for dropping off/picking up my girlfriend form work, so all I can assume was I was waiting a little longer than usual on the date in question and have gone over the allowed grace period or something. Is it worth including anything about this in the response?

6. I am assuming that now I have received an LBC, I am past point of POFA appeal?

7. Is there any advantage to delaying sending this response at this stage? I have until 20th Sept to submit a response.

Draft response below:

Date

Your Ref:xxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sirs,

I am in receipt of your Letter Before Claim of x.
    Your letter contains insufficient detail of the claim and fails to provide copies of evidence your client places reliance upon.

Your client must know that on 01 October 2017 a new protocol is applicable to debt claims. Since proceedings have not yet been issued, the new protocol clearly applies and must be complied with.

Your letter lacks specificity and breaches both the requirements of the previously applicable Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct (paragraphs 6(a) and 6(c)) and the new Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims (paragraphs 3.1(a)-(d), 5.1 and 5.2. Please treat this letter as a formal request for all of the documents / information that the protocol now requires your client to provide. Your client must not issue proceedings without complying with that protocol. I reserve the right to draw any failure of the Claimant to comply with the protocol to the attention of the court and to ask the court to stay the claim and order your client to comply with its pre-action obligations, and when costs come to be considered.

As you have referenced the Pre-Action Protocol For Debt Claims in your letter, you must surely be familiar with the requirements of both the Practice Direction applicable pre-1 October and the Protocol which applies thereafter (and your client, as a serial litigator of small claims, should likewise be aware of them). As you (and your client) must know, the Practice Direction and Protocol bind all potential litigants, whatever the size or type of the claim. Its express purpose is to assist parties in understanding the claim and their respective positions in relation to it, to enable parties to take stock of their positions and to negotiate a settlement, or at least narrow the issues, without incurring the costs of court proceedings or using up valuable court time. It is astounding that a firm of Solicitors are sending a consumer a vague and unevidenced 'Letter before Claim' in complete ignorance of the pre-existing Practice Direction and the new Protocol.

Nobody, including your client, is immune from the requirements and obligations of the Practice Direction and now the Protocol.

I require your client to comply with its obligations by sending me the following information/documents:

1. An explanation of the cause of action
    2. Whether they are pursuing me as driver or keeper
    3. Whether they are relying on the provisions of Schedule 4 of POFA 2012
    4. What the details of the claim are; where it is claimed the vehicle was parked, for how long, how the monies being claimed arose and have been calculated
    5. Is the claim for a contractual breach? If so, what is the date of the agreement? The names of the parties to it and provide to me a copy of that contract.
    6. Is the claim for trespass? If so, provide details.
    7. Provide me a copy of the contract with the landowner under which they assert authority to bring the claim, as required by the IPC code of practice section B, clause 1.1 “establishing yourself as the creditor”
    8. A plan showing where any signs were displayed
    9. Details of the signs displayed (size of sign, size of font, height at which displayed)
    10. Provide details of the original charge, and detail any interest and administrative or other charges added
    11. Provide a copy of the Information Sheet and the Reply Form

If your client does not provide me with this information then I put you on notice that I will be relying on the cases of Webb Resolutions Ltd v Waller Needham & Green [2012] EWHC 3529 (Ch), Daejan Investments Limited v The Park West Club Limited (Part 20) – Buxton Associates [2003] EWHC 2872, Charles Church Developments Ltd v Stent Foundations Limited & Peter Dann Limited [2007] EWHC 855 in asking the court to impose sanctions on your client and to order a stay of the proceedings, pursuant to paragraphs 13 ,15(b) and (c) and 16 of the Practice Direction, as referred to in paragraph 7.2 of the Protocol.

Until your client has complied with its obligations and provided this information, I am unable to respond properly to the alleged claim and to consider my position in relation to it, and it is entirely premature (and a waste of costs and court time) for your client to issue proceedings. Should your client do so, then I will seek an immediate stay pursuant to paragraph 15(b) of the Practice Direction and an order that this information is provided.

I also bring to your attention your reference to your client issuing a PCN for the alleged incident, as well as attempts to engage with me. I have not received either a PCN or any other correspondence from your client relating to this matter since the date of contravention detailed in your letter, and therefore request evidence of these being issued.

Further to the above, any claims or future correspondences are to only be served to my address of service, which is:
    XXX
    XXX
    XXX

Yours faithfully
  • Umkomaas
    1. Use a squiggle like every PPC does. Obviously you type your name underneath.

2. Belt and braces if you wish - do both. Send your letter with a free Certificate of Posting from your Post Office counter as with this, the letter is deemed by law to have been delivered by the second working day after posting.

Do not use (or pay for!) 'Signed For' (previously known as 'Recorded' or 'Registered') or 'Special Delivery' as some in this game refuse to accept such, then all you have is proof of non-delivery.

Does this make points 5 and 6 of the list in the response irrelevant or is it still worth including?
    No one reads your response, so attempting to find a Holy Grail argument/point of order is a waste of intellectual energy.
    3.1 Is a breach of Terms and Conditions different to a contractual breach?
    There will be legal nuances between the two, but I'm not your man to split the atom for you. Have you tried Google?
    4. I have only made a few amendments to the original template (highlighted in orange). Are these ok?
    Look ok, but my answer to 3 above still applies.
    5. have no recollection of the incident in question - the carpark was one x used to use for dropping off/picking up x girlfriend form work, so all I can assume was x was waiting a little longer than usual on the date in question and have gone over the allowed grace period or something. Is it worth including anything about this in the response?
    It won't change anything, but it provides proof that you are trying to resolve this with full information. But you need to draft that much better than that, because if you're going to argue that the PPC hasn't met PoFA requirements to hold the keeper liable, then you don't want to be giving them the driver's head on a plate! I've very quickly tidied up my quote of your remarks so it doesn't incriminate, but you'll need to do it better in your response.
    6. I am assuming that now I have received an LBC, I am past point of POFA appeal?
    I presume you mean POPLA appeal? Answer - Yes
    7. Is there any advantage to delaying sending this response at this stage? I have until 20th Sept to submit a response.
    I wouldn't rush it, see if anyone else wants to comment. There's no advantage in either going early or leaving until much nearer the deadline. Do what you're comfortable with.

Finally ...
    Having looked at the Newbies thread, Daniel San's template appears to be the best fit for this case.
    Be careful in following the Daniel san thread too closely as that is very much a parking in a residential setting case (his own home). Check out those legal precedents you are quoting - to ensure they are not exclusively residential-related.

• Manc88
    Thanks once again for all the advice Umkomaas. I'm away for the next few days, so will leave this for now in case anybody else comments or wishes to offer any pearls of wisdom and then get on with sending it next week.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    relating to a 'Parked without payment of parking charge' contravention in October last year that I have no recollection of.
    I disposed of the the debt collector letter

You say you have no recollection but you've had earlier letters. What steps did you take to check the facts or refute what they said. Is the LBCC reply the first time you're checking?
  • Manc88
    I have no recollection of the original incident, and have certainly never received a PCN from NCP - the first I heard of it was the debt collector letter I received c. 2-3 weeks prior to the LBCC.

Based on previous advice I have read/been given, I chose to ignore the previous letter as I was of the understanding that they often do not pursue and are just empty threats trying to get you to make contact with the baliffs, which, again, I have been advised not to do in the past. Therefore I've not yet taken any steps to refute the claims.

Clearly this case is different as I have now received the LBCC, which is why I have started this thread and turned to the forum for advice.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Did you move house (or forgot to update the address on your V5 ages ago) then they traced you to a new address, recently, and sent the letter you then got?
    When reading the newbies I see there is a note about not putting your own name
    No, there is not. I NEVER tell people not to put their name on a letter!

Signature is not the same thing.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure