Need to lose weight

13»

Comments

• I agree with what everyone else wrote, and I’ll add a few things, I think eating less is not theway of losing fat, choose the right and healthy diet,such as low calorie breakfast
    Yogurt - add Yogurt in your breakfast,eating Yogurt to promote health and weight control.
    Oats - oats are one of the healthiest whole grains foods you can eat.
  • I watched a programme a while back and the people that were slim ate a normal amount but left it longer between each meal and didn't snack at all. I think snacking between meals is the worst thing and eating in the evenings or late at night
  • Zana2018
    Zana2018 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Something that not many people have mentioned, is that this change of lifestyle will be permanent. You cannot lose those 10kg and keep them off if you don't make a permanent changes.

Don't think of it as a diet, think of it as getting yourself into a permanent habit. Because of that, people suggesting 8 week diets, or extremely lose weight sessions, won't do for the long term. Nor does cutting out whole food groups, or cooking food you hate - it will never work. Yes you might lose those 10 kgs, but look 6 months into the future when you're back to "normal" and the weight will be back on.

What has worked for me, is making small but permanent changes. I love bread and will never be able to cut it out, but I reduce it so it is a rare occasion. I like snacks, I prefer to snack, but I swap my snacks for healthy versions I can cope with, eg. popcorn (salted only) instead of crisps.

I also do HIIT, 3-4 times a week, play tennis with my partner, and cycle to and from work (approx 16 hours of exercise per week). However, without watching my food intake, I would pile on the weight. Therefore, I agree with all other posts that diet (or permanent habit changing) is much more important. Once you've made some good changes in the direction of healthy, then you can start looking at exercise (or do both at the same time). Think of it like this, watching your food will reduce your fat, but if you want that toned stomach, perky bottom and shapely arms, you will need to do exercise and weight training especially.

Lastly, try not to do too much too fast, the fad diets seem amazing, but the weight loss won't be permanent.

I've lost over 30kg in my past, tried numerous fad diets, put the weight partially back on, and now going back down. SLow, steady, and permanent is now my goal.
  • littlemisssmiley
    littlemisssmiley Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 30 October 2018 at 3:48PM
    I agree.. doing HIIT works wonders. even if just 20minutes a day.

and find things that curb your cravings. My favourite is Wheyhey ice cream- high protein, sugar free, tastes awesome. Stops me reaching for the cookies..
  • Zana2018
    Zana2018 Posts: 16 Forumite
    I realise I also provided some general tips rather than specifics to help you lose 10kg. Therefore, I'm going to summarise some key things you should do to kick start your long-term lifestyle change. I will keep this short and sweet to specific things I've done and found to work, however, there is plenty advice out there of how to eat and be healthier to lose weight (drink water, eat fruit and veg, etc), I will not be repeating that advice.

Step 1: Work out how many calories you should be eating per day (on average). I used this the NHS Healthy Weight calculator (as a new user I cannot post a URL :( but if you google that it should be the first link), there are others available too. The aim should be for you to find the general amount of calories - you should choose the lower target initially (ie. for a completely sedentary lifestyle)

Step 2: Plan and count everything you eat. I mean everything, down to the that cracker you snacked on at lunch. Do this for at least 1 week, preferbly longer. I used Myfitnesspal app - the free version. Plug in your calories to track how much you're on. Only eat what you're allowed, regardless of any exercise you do. Do NOT compensate for exercise (at least in these first few weeks). Don't restrict your foods, eat whatever you want, but do not go over your calorie intake.

Step 3: Maintain and track what you eat for at least 3-4 weeks before you think about giving up. It'll be tough, and you'll feel tired (its a given seeing as you're not eating enough to maintain your current weight - hence you'll lose fat).

Step 4: Throughout the first 3-4 weeks, see what small changes you can make to add to your exercise. Take a 10 minutes walk at lunch, or if possible do HIIT. Joe Wicks is a good place to start with his 15 minute sessions (morning or evening whatever suits your schedule). If you cannot bring yourself to do this and watch what you eat, then don't worry about the HIIT. Keep to your diet.

Step 5: Assess the situation and see what you can and cannot do and make small changes from there. This is a long-term thing, so if you can't keep something up because its too difficult, then you're going at this wrong.

As a side note, if you go over your calories once a week (eg. go out with friends for an evening pizza), don't worry, just make sure all your other days are good and compensate if needed. For example, if you know you're going out for dinner Friday evening, have a smaller Thursday dinner, and a small breakfast/lunch on Friday. When you're out with friends, do not worry about what you eat (go full out, have dessert and a starter), it'll ruin the evening if you worry about your food and you'll always feel you're on a diet when ultimately you're not.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Honestly, you can solve most 'bad days' by throwing in occasional fasting days. Fasting is ultimately really challenging, until you've got the hang of it, but once you have, you can do it at will. Obviously you shouldn't fast constantly and I don't recommend using it as a quick fix to eating takeaways..... Takeaways aren't good for you for other reasons, they're not very nutritional for one, but you're human and you're allowed to enjoy yourself, so if you've had a terrible day where say you ended up having a takeaway and 8 pints of lager, just follow it by having a day where you consume 600 calories or less...ish. Your body will ultimately crave the energy and rapidly burn off the extra calories you consumed the day before.

A few months back, I proved this to a friend by doing an experiment. He steadfast refused to believe that fasting could work, so on the Tuesday, I took advantage of KFC's 9 piece bucket offer, which (over the course of several hours) I was just about able to consume the entire thing. It actually isn't all that nice eating 9 pieces of southern fried chicken.... I then fasted the next day.

I then had a fairly normal day where I consumed about 1800 calories. Friday, I had another takeaway and Saturday, I had a day on the drink including a couple of trips to McDonald's. I then fasted Sunday (easy when your hungover) and had a very light day on the Monday where I didn't fast fully but consumed less than 1000 calories.

I expected to go to my weigh in and maintain or maybe gain a pound (which I'd have been okay with). The result? 2lbs off, which was maintained as well as I continued losing the next week, so it didn't spike at all.

Fasting can be a very useful tool in your weight loss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure