Who do i report ebay to?

oceanic
oceanic Posts: 46 Forumite
Hello

is there any news agency like tv shows or an ombudsmen to report ebay to?

I've just realised my ebay account has been shadow banned from. me. leaving negative feedback to a seller.

I bought and promptly paid via paypal for the item. The seller was unable print a postage label using ebays website, some glitch she said was very common with a lot of her buyers, and didn't know how to use PayPal website to print it.

I think she's basically IT illiterate.

But that was fine with me. So i asked her to use click and collect. But she was rude and dismissive towards me over the whole thing. And then banned me from buying from her store somehow.

I even offered her options of using argos click and collect, me rebuying it etc. But no, she was having none of it, called me names and then said she'd report me to ebay for saying i would leave negative feedback given how unhelpful she was as a seller and for having banned me.

1) i then went to leave negative feedback on ebay, but ebay keeps logging me out every time i try to leave feedback. is this a glitch or deliberate locking by ebay?

2) from the purchase menu i can leave feedback for all transactions except hers. that link doesn't exist under purchases, and is greyed out in drop down menus.

3) I'd like to report ebay to some media agency or ombudsmen for shadown blocking me from leaving negative feedback to a seller, without even telling me.

IF, IF THIS IS WHAT I THINK IS HAPPENING???

Ebay didn't notify me of anything, just straight up has locked me out of my own accounts feedback section.

This to me is a joke. And a disgraceful behaviour far worse than the sellers by ebay.

I have had that ebay account for 10 years or so.

So i would like the media and ombudsmen to know how ebay operate.

UPDATE: sent ebay an email, option to leave feedback still not there. so definitely being blockedm. but somehow managed to leave the feedback using a different link.

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have no idea what shadow blocked means, but I am aware that with some browsers there is currently a glitch with users (buyers and sellers) having to continually log in. I have had to switch browsers as I was also affected by the glitch and was not able to stay logged in at all.

Incidentally, I'm also not sure what suggesting 'click and drop' was meant to achieve except to make a seller suspicious about sending to an address other than the PayPal one- as regardless of address if she couldn't manage to print a label then I can't see how changing the address would help.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • alykatz
    alykatz Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Well although i can see you have had a rubbish time of it, just a couple of points ,
    Threating to leave negative feedback no matter the circumstance is viewed as feedback extortion, and a seller can have negs removed if they can show messages saying this.

If the seller cant print out a postage label then changing the address the item is going to isnt going to improve or change that situation.Plus as mentioned above a seller would be foolish to post to any addresss other than that on the paypal payment.

Not sure what you mean by shadow ban, but ebay are not making it difficult for you to log in or leave feedback and as said above is a glitch.

Any seller is allowed to block someone from buying from them if they consider them to be bothersome ect.
  • oceanic wrote: »
    UPDATE: sent ebay an email, option to leave feedback still not there. so definitely being blockedm. but somehow managed to leave the feedback using a different link.

The long (actually the short) of your story is that when a seller cancels, it appears to hide the transaction - it doesn't, it just moves it. A lot of buyers think they have been blocked or prevented from leaving feedback, but it's just a matter of the transaction being moved.

At least you found it and the drama is over. :)
    Hello

is there any news agency like tv shows or an ombudsmen to report ebay to?

I've just realised my ebay account has been shadow banned from. me. leaving negative feedback to a seller.

I bought and promptly paid via paypal for the item. The seller was unable print a postage label using ebays website, some glitch she said was very common with a lot of her buyers, and didn't know how to use PayPal website to print it.

I think she's basically IT illiterate.

But that was fine with me. So i asked her to use click and collect. But she was rude and dismissive towards me over the whole thing. And then banned me from buying from her store somehow.

I even offered her options of using argos click and collect, me rebuying it etc. But no, she was having none of it, called me names and then said she'd report me to ebay for saying i would leave negative feedback given how unhelpful she was as a seller and for having banned me.

1) i then went to leave negative feedback on ebay, but ebay keeps logging me out every time i try to leave feedback. is this a glitch or deliberate locking by ebay?

2) from the purchase menu i can leave feedback for all transactions except hers. that link doesn't exist under purchases, and is greyed out in drop down menus.

3) I'd like to report ebay to some media agency or ombudsmen for shadown blocking me from leaving negative feedback to a seller, without even telling me.

IF, IF THIS IS WHAT I THINK IS HAPPENING???

Ebay didn't notify me of anything, just straight up has locked me out of my own accounts feedback section.

This to me is a joke. And a disgraceful behaviour far worse than the sellers by ebay.

I have had that ebay account for 10 years or so.

So i would like the media and ombudsmen to know how ebay operate.

Have you heard of the pot/kettle saying?
  • oceanic
    edited 16 September 2018 at 7:52AM
    alykatz wrote: »
    Well although i can see you have had a rubbish time of it, just a couple of points ,
    Threating to leave negative feedback no matter the circumstance is viewed as feedback extortion, and a seller can have negs removed if they can show messages saying this.

If the seller cant print out a postage label then changing the address the item is going to isnt going to improve or change that situation.Plus as mentioned above a seller would be foolish to post to any addresss other than that on the paypal payment.

Not sure what you mean by shadow ban, but ebay are not making it difficult for you to log in or leave feedback and as said above is a glitch.

Any seller is allowed to block someone from buying from them if they consider them to be bothersome ect.

i only said i would leave negative feedback after interaction was over, as she flat out refused to explain why she banned and wouldn't allow me to ordwr to an argos click and collect address. After repeated attempts to show her how she could use ebay software. I'm guessing she didn't want to deal with it.

since the experience was horrible, i said i would be leaving the feedback after she called me some ridiculous adjectives for insisting on explaining why she had banned me given i had never ever bought anything from her or even knew her. She kept blaming software, so i kept giving her how to ebay guides to fix it.

Guess she took her IT illiteracy frustrations out on me. But to me. that deserved a negative feedback as it was poor customer service. If you can't leave negative feedback over that, then effectively there's no reason other left.

I had no problem with her banning me, i just said to her that's her choice, i believe in freedom for shops to refuse services. But vice versa it's my choice to leave negative as it was a bad perplexing experience for me.

P.S. shadow ban is when you don't realise you have been blocked or made invisible on the Internet. It comes in many forms. On reddit twitter Facebook youtube etc you won't realise it, but you will post messages as normal and it will show up on your Web page as normal. But other users will have your messages hidden from them, some or all of them, so they will never see it. And you don't ever know why as the company never tell you. To you it just appears as normal and ppl just aren't replying. Other ways is videos etc uploads are listed lower down in searches, etc.

It's pretty common nowadays, but no way to prove it as no company admits to doing it.
  • The long (actually the short) of your story is that when a seller cancels, it appears to hide the transaction - it doesn't, it just moves it. A lot of buyers think they have been blocked or prevented from leaving feedback, but it's just a matter of the transaction being moved.

At least you found it and the drama is over. :)

No its definitely hidden. All my purchases show a feedback link underneath the purchase page on ebay desktop mode. But this one doesn't, the link is definitely removed from both feedback page and purchase pages.

Yes, i did google and figure out the login issue is a glitch. But I'm also starting to think it's a glitch that is possibly a bad programming of them trying to shadow ban people from leaving negative feedback. Ebay recently has moved to protect their power sellers in last few years with policies like being unable to leave negative feedback for 1 week on a power sellers account.

So i was guessing they are trying to implement some more things maybe a longer period than a week, and maybe i got hit with that. As the seller said she was going to report me. Which was laughable as i was very polite and gave many options to resolve the printing label issue. But she kept refusing saying she only does it this way, and is not willing to change for 1 customer.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    oceanic wrote: »
    i only said i would leave negative feedback after interaction was over, as she flat out refused to explain why she banned and wouldn't allow me to ordwr to an argos click and collect address. After repeated attempts to show her how she could use ebay software. I'm guessing she didn't want to deal with it.

since the experience was horrible, i said i would be leaving the feedback after she called me some ridiculous adjectives for insisting on explaining why she had banned me given i had never ever bought anything from her or even knew her. She kept blaming software, so i kept giving her how to ebay guides to fix it.

Guess she took her IT illiteracy frustrations out on me. But to me. that deserved a negative feedback as it was poor customer service. If you can't leave negative feedback over that, then effectively there's no reason other left.

I had no problem with her banning me, i just said to her that's her choice, i believe in freedom for shops to refuse services. But vice versa it's my choice to leave negative as it was a bad perplexing experience for me.

Just to answer some specific points. There is no need to 'threaten' negative feedback, either leave it or don't - the moment a buyer feels the need to say they are leaving it suggests it is in someway a bargaining chip and therefore can be argued that it should be removed under the feedback extortion guidelines.

The fact you tried to switch addresses would mark you out as a scammer to many sellers, and again many of us would have been straight on the phone to ebay to get any negative removed on that basis as well.

Maybe the seller had issues with a different ebay glitch, ebay is clunky and glitchy at the best of times and even this weekend some sellers on the US groups are reporting issues with being unable to print postage labels. Obviously none of us can tell how you came across with your 'helpful' advice to the seller, but maybe there is the possibility that your advice didn't come across quite how you meant it to and you began to alarm the seller, especially with the change of address and she started to treat you like a scammer?

I assume BTW that your address in paypal is one that has been successfully used previously and isn't missing anything or has a typo in the postcode preventing a label being printed. For example and I don't know if this is still the case, I could never print labels if buyer had put GB in their address , I have no idea why and assume it was just the ebay software playing up.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Have you heard of the pot/kettle saying?

yes, and don't really see your point, as seller said herself she didn't know how to use PayPal to print postage lables, knowing how on ebay website and refused to use the how to guides i sent her, or unban me so i could buy through argos click and collect.

it seems her default behaviour when she can't print a postage label is to cancel refund and ban the buyer, instead of learning how or solving the issue.

Either that or she didn't like my name. There are bigots everywhere.

But if it makes you happy to be condescending to people on the net, so be it. Hope you get over it, as it will stagnate your personal growth if you don't.

Yes, i did google and figure out the login issue is a glitch. But I'm also starting to think it's a glitch that is possibly a bad programming of them trying to shadow ban people from leaving negative feedback. Ebay recently has moved to protect their power sellers in last few years with policies like being unable to leave negative feedback for 1 week on a power sellers account.

So i was guessing they are trying to implement some more things maybe a longer period than a week, and maybe i got hit with that. As the seller said she was going to report me. Which was laughable as i was very polite and gave many options to resolve the printing label issue. But she kept refusing saying she only does it this way, and is not willing to change for 1 customer.

You haven't been able to leave a negative for a power seller [inside the week of purchase] for some years. There is no immediate change in this. It is an issue with a refunded/cancelled purchase that the feedback cannot be left in the same way as a successful sale, it's no secret it is just bad programming.

As suggested above, the 'options' you gave are not ones that many sellers would accept.
  • oceanic
    edited 16 September 2018 at 8:27AM
    soolin wrote: »
    Just to answer some specific points. There is no need to 'threaten' negative feedback, either leave it or don't - the moment a buyer feels the need to say they are leaving it suggests it is in someway a bargaining chip and therefore can be argued that it should be removed under the feedback extortion guidelines.

The fact you tried to switch addresses would mark you out as a scammer to many sellers, and again many of us would have been straight on the phone to ebay to get any negative removed on that basis as well.

Maybe the seller had issues with a different ebay glitch, ebay is clunky and glitchy at the best of times and even this weekend some sellers on the US groups are reporting issues with being unable to print postage labels. Obviously none of us can tell how you came across with your 'helpful' advice to the seller, but maybe there is the possibility that your advice didn't come across quite how you meant it to and you began to alarm the seller, especially with the change of address and she started to treat you like a scammer?

I assume BTW that your address in paypal is one that has been successfully used previously and isn't missing anything or has a typo in the postcode preventing a label being printed. For example and I don't know if this is still the case, I could never print labels if buyer had put GB in their address , I have no idea why and assume it was just the ebay software playing up.

No again, to explain i didn't threaten to leave negative feedback. I said after 3 days of trying to find a solution and every one of her email replies being the same "i don't care" effectively, i said fine it's your choice to not sell to me but since you have been really rude and dismissive and unhelpful to me i have to leave a negative feedback.

i don't like leaving negative feedback and ebays policy says i should try to resolve the issue with the seller first. so that was what i tried by giving her links on how to unban me (as she said she didn't do it deliberately and didn't know how to do it or undo it) or how to use PayPal to print the postage label, she only uses ebay itself to do it, and option to use argos click and collect etc.

her response literally to every one of my suggestions was, "no that is not how i do it, i always do it this way i am not going to change for one seller". Ironic thing is she said it happens to quite a few of her customers and they all accept it and buy elsewhere, and why was i not doing the same :rotfl:

my paypal ebay everything fine. it's most likely an issue on the site. As you said ebay US was experiencing issues. I even told her she should wait a few days and if it still doesn't work she could cancel transaction. But nope, within 4hrs of me buying it, she had cancelled it, and banned me. it was her default behaviour.

P.S. to be honest if she had thought i was a scammer and said that was why she was refusing to sell to me, I would have been fine with it. I'm fine with straight talk. It would have made more sense than the runaround she gave me.

Which had me mad confused for 3 days as i was trying to find a solution for her, for every excuse she was giving, until i realised she just didn't want to sell to me for some reason, and the excuses were just cover. Still don't know the exact reason. Conjecture is it was IT frustrations, but could easily be bigotry over my name etc. Still no idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure