Is this genuine?

Hi I got a card through the letterbox from Morrisons Data Service saying they knocked but had no answer and they came to get meter readings for electricity and gas, they wrote that they came as they" were asked to by my supplier." My name wasn't even on the card and neither was my suppliers name and they just came randomly, they said they will come back tomorrow. Is this genuine? Must I let them in? It would be helpful if they or my supplier actually wrote to me in advance to let me know when and what time they will come rather than "we will come tomorrow?" I have both electricity and gas meters which I top-up (they were already installed when I moved in by previous owner). If it is genuine, can I not read the meters myself and leave the card outside for them? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi I got a card through the letterbox from Morrisons Data Service saying they knocked but had no answer and they came to get meter readings for electricity and gas, they wrote that they came as they" were asked to by my supplier." My name wasn't even on the card and neither was my suppliers name and they just came randomly, they said they will come back tomorrow. Is this genuine? Must I let them in? It would be helpful if they or my supplier actually wrote to me in advance to let me know when and what time they will come rather than "we will come tomorrow?" I have both electricity and gas meters which I top-up (they were already installed when I moved in by previous owner). If it is genuine, can I not read the meters myself and leave the card outside for them? Thank you in advance.

You are worrying yourself un-necessarily. MDS is a firm that suppliers use to read meters. The meter reader should carry some form of identification. As there upwards of 50M meters, think about the cost of sending out a letter each time a meter needs to be read/checked. This cost would be added to all our bills.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2018 at 8:58PM
    It is genuine. I work for them . Suppliers do not normally write in advance unless it is very urgent or they have been trying to access the meters many times and failed
    .If they do write to you for a proper timed appointment they stand to lose £30 if the meter reader fails to turn up. The call back cards are not deemed official appointments.
    No, you do not have to let them in, but it is in your terms and conditions that you allow the supplier, that includes their agents, access to the meters when the supplier deems it necessary.
    He will not have your name on the call back card but he/she will have it on his hand held computer with details of the meters and occupier.
    You can see his I.D will have a telephone number on it if you want to double check.
    Prepayment meters also need to be accessed every couple of years.
    I personally never accept prepayment meter readings left by the occupier. I prefer to examine the meters myself.
    The electric meter can be confusing which reading the suppliers need. Some need screen "G " others need screen "H "
    Suppliers do not really need to see the readings on the meters as they get all those details automatically on top-up but they need to have a look at the meters occasionally.
    Meter reader will collect the reading more as proof he/she has visited the meters.
    Currently we read for BG, Scot Power, EDF and Eon in many areas as well as many small suppliers
  • Hi I got a card through the letterbox from Morrisons Data Service saying they knocked but had no answer and they came to get meter readings for electricity and gas, they wrote that they came as they" were asked to by my supplier." My name wasn't even on the card and neither was my suppliers name and they just came randomly, they said they will come back tomorrow. Is this genuine? Must I let them in? It would be helpful if they or my supplier actually wrote to me in advance to let me know when and what time they will come rather than "we will come tomorrow?" I have both electricity and gas meters which I top-up (they were already installed when I moved in by previous owner). If it is genuine, can I not read the meters myself and leave the card outside for them? Thank you in advance.

If in any doubt, ask to see their identification, and then wait outside whilst you check with your supplier.
    Any genuine caller will not be upset that you are checking them out.

If you are particularly nervous about this type of visitor, ask your supplier to set up a password for future occassions, so that you can be sure the meter redaers are genuinely working on the instructions of your supplier.

You have to allow your supplier, or their agents, access to their meter. If not, they will probably get suspicious, and if necessary get an entry warrant. These don't come cheap, nor does the locksmith that often accompanies them, and you will end up footing the bill.

Also, if they do call with a warrant when you are out, you may be temporarily locked out of your own home.
    All a lot of hassle I'm sure you could well do without, eh?
  • If in any doubt, ask to see their identification, and then wait outside whilst you check with your supplier.
    Any genuine caller will not be upset that you are checking them out.

If you are particularly nervous about this type of visitor, ask your supplier to set up a password for future occassions, so that you can be sure the meter redaers are genuinely working on the instructions of your supplier.

You have to allow your supplier, or their agents, access to their meter. If not, they will probably get suspicious, and if necessary get an entry warrant. These don't come cheap, nor does the locksmith that often accompanies them, and you will end up footing the bill.

Also, if they do call with a warrant when you are out, you may be temporarily locked out of your own home.
    All a lot of hassle I'm sure you could well do without, eh?

So what do I do now? I work Monday to Friday and can't get a day off yet unless I book it off. I can't just sit around wait for them to come when they want to. Can I not take the readings myself and put it outside my front door for them?
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Biggles is pulling your leg.
    They will not get an entry warrant or change the locks.
    You do not need to take the day off work to wait for them as they might not call back the next day.
    Chances are they will try of an evening, or maybe at the weekend.
    Taking the reading yourself and leaving it for them or calling your supplier with it is fine, but every so often they will need to visit to check for themselves and actually see the meter working.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2018 at 7:59PM
    So what do I do now? I work Monday to Friday and can't get a day off yet unless I book it off. I can't just sit around wait for them to come when they want to. Can I not take the readings myself and put it outside my front door for them?
    i personally would not accept a reading left for a prepayment meter, I want to have a careful look at all prepayment meters.I think that most meter readers would be happy to accept a reading by the door .
    If I find someone who is keen to keep me away from inspecting a prepayment meter I would find that so suspicious I pass it on to Revenue Protection for them to check payment history.
    Biggles is not joking, BG at least are quite happy to get a warrant, and a locksmith as a last resort but only if a very low payment is shown. a normal payment would not be a sign of a meter tamper and they would nt get involved with warrants or locksmiths otherwise.
    Revenue Protection would take out a warrant to access the meters if they deemed it necessary after a RPU officer, pretending to be a meter reader as cover, is refused access to the meters.That is the normal method.
    Of course you do not want to lose holiday days hanging about for some meter reader who may not even turn up but you could leave a note telling him to come back when it was a suitable time for you.
    I m very careful with prepayment meters because they are the most tampered meters. I d say that 90% of the tampered meters I find are prepayment meters, hence my suspicion if someone is stopping me from viewing the meters
    The OP is not trying to stop anyone but meter readers should be prepared to work later in the evening or on Saturdays . My suppliers I work for are only checking prepay meters once every couple of years. That is BG, Scot Power, EDF and many smaller outfits
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You can see his I.D will have a telephone number on it if you want to double check.

Ringing a number provided by a potentially bogus caller provides no reassurance.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    On the subject of MDS, this reported by a neighbour this morning "Man with crow bar checked out front and back doors. Morrison's Data Services white van. If he had knocked they would have answered because they are in. I have him on video but won't post yet just in case. Police aware."

Of-course this may be nothing to do with MDS, but I'll update when I find out more.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 September 2018 at 9:39AM
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    On the subject of MDS, this reported by a neighbour this morning "Man with crow bar checked out front and back doors. Morrison's Data Services white van. If he had knocked they would have answered because they are in. I have him on video but won't post yet just in case. Police aware."

Of-course this may be nothing to do with MDS, but I'll update when I find out more.
    MDS do not use "white vans " in any meter reading duties in the whole of the UK.
    Current cars used by the meter reading teams are either Citroens or Toyota Yaris cars only.
    Morrisons Utility Services, M.U.S do use vans. They are involved in meter exchanges and other work to do with working on the gas supplies.They never do meter reading work
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 12 September 2018 at 10:08AM
    This is the van in question...I'm sure it's quite legitimate...EDIT. Apparently reading water meters, the crow bar to lift meter covers. I think our neighbour was getting a little too excited.

Dm4d-oMWwAAHKIb.jpg
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure