PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bought my first house and hate it, SO much

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Get the beetle problem fixed (It IS fixable).

Cover the laminate up with rugs.

Paint the walls a nice colour.

Open champagne.

Drink.

Enjoy.

(the following day, see a Dr about your anxiety).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If I had to live in a small terraced house I would feel exactly the way you do. I don’t think your mental health difficulties are completely to blame.

I live in a small terrace and have done for the last 25 years or so. It's a nice comfortable house and in a lovely area with lovely neighbours.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I finally have a whole room dedicated to my studio area and I just don't feel comfortable enough to create, because the previous owners left that room a state too.

Give yourself some fun - fresco like the ancients?
    Your walls will be your indoor garden.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_of_Livia

Marmoleum on the floor? A very practical and hygienic surface.

It might help relieve your stress?
  • Sammypooler
    Sammypooler Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    It’s all about individual perspective isn’t it Xylophone. I live in an area that’s really expensive, full of bars and the “place to live”. But I hate it. Everyone has their own perspective. I’ve been saving for 10 years to get as far as I’ve got.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Give yourself some fun - fresco like the ancients?
    Your walls will be your indoor garden.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_of_Livia

Marmoleum on the floor? A very practical and hygienic surface.

It might help relieve your stress?

Brilliant idea! Or how about a trompe l'oeil if you are artistic?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,407 Forumite
    Options
    how about a trompe l'oeil if you are artistic?

Absolutely! A great idea and used by the Roman painters too.....
  • princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi again Luma, thanks for the replies. I actually felt more optimistic after reading them; I think you have some self-awareness and some positive ideas, which is good.

Some more practical stuff first - I do agree with ArthurC (I think it was); considering damp is probably one of your top priorities. I was going to mention it in my previous post but didn’t want to just throw it at you. The weevils are one indication it might be an issue. The pervasive smell you describe might be another.

Do you think it might be an issue, and if so do you have any idea where? Common causes are leaks in the gutters/roof or around the edges of windows, a leak in the plumbing, penetration through thin or compromised walls or subfloor. These are all quite fixable. It may also be a historic issue - a leak makes a joist rotten, the leak is fixed but the joist is not replaced, for example. Formerly-wet carpet underlay is notorious for this actually, and you don’t always see it on the carpet itself.

You can also get condensation damp, which is more general. That’s a product of inadequate house design and lifestyle. In a larger house with a garden, that’s probably quite easy to manage.

Damp is very normal in our climate, and British builders have been historically quite poor at managing it, in my opinion. It won’t be anything unique to this house believe me.

Of course, the smell may be nothing more than old wall and floor coverings, curtains etc. If you have a sensitive nose and move into a house where other people have been living for years, you’ll notice it. Redecorating will address that.

Any thoughts on the issue?

As for decorating - no need to be a perfectionist planner in most rooms. The glory of paint is that it’s relatively cheap, makes a big difference, and can be changed relatively easily. I’d encourage you to just do 2/3/4+ walls or rooms, see what you like. From that, a plan will probably emerge naturally. The only exception is when you are putting in more complicated things like a new kitchen or bathroom.

Flooring - yeah old style lino can be naff. But replacing it isn’t too hard. Are you used to carpets? Hard floors can sometimes look dusty but they are actually hygienic and easy to clean, it’s just there’s not as much hiding of the dust. But put down what you like, there’s lots of options and I reckon it will be something that will make a big difference to how you feel about the place, especially in winter. If you buy carefully, some cheap flooring can actually be quite nice - I just bought some wood-effect laminate boards and the quality is light-years ahead of even 5yrs back. They also don’t show the dust much, as they are varied mid-tones and matt.

French doors - great idea, should be easy but there will be some cost. I’d suggest (and it’s only a suggestion) that you aim for spring, unless you have the budget to hand. If you order some now it will be autumn before they are installed most likely, and you won’t get full use in the winter. But proper garden windows are definitely the right way to go; they transformed my old place.

Bathroom - yep, also from experience it can be transformative. It’s usually a slightly longer process than you’d expect and disrupts the house, but the pay-off is great.

Address the weevils and potential damp, some decorating and some flooring in key rooms (where you spend time, where you sleep, where you enter etc.), a bathroom and french windows as they can be afforded. Sounds like a good and practical plan.

As for the mental side - it’s so interesting to me that you variously mention being away from family, in an unfamiliar house of a different scale and different interior. Definitely this is all wrapped up in your worries. The good thing is that as you get used to the new environment, and shape it to make it more yours, there is every chance that these feelings will calm down.

I’m not sure I agree with the prior poster that anxieties get worse with age. Often people get experience at life and living as themselves, and either move past or get better at managing things. Sometimes life changes such as children just put it all in perspective. I only mention this because it’s important for someone who may be prone to catastrophising (google it - it’s a psychological term if you haven’t come across it before) to realise that there’s no inevitability here, it's often more like a mental habit that can be managed and improved.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    princeofpounds, you are obviously very empathetic and insightful; also very kind, I think.

AdrianC (not ArthurC) can be sometimes quite brusque when he thinks someone (such as me) is being silly (which I often am) He can also be surprisingly kind when needed, as here. He is a private landlord so knows a heck of a lot about property and is full of good advice.
  • Lumabones
    Lumabones Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brilliant idea! Or how about a trompe l'oeil if you are artistic?

These are both so good! I'd love to look more into this, especially as I'm very in touch with nature.

Thank you so much for your replies, everyone. They really do make me feel less alone.

princeofpounds - well the joists, whilst they did show signs, were actually only borderline moisture for them to thrive. It's right near a corner towards the garden. I'm waiting for the report back from the surveyor, but he said it could even be a case of airbricks blocked with debris over time. Since it's on the side of the house too, he has said we can also put in another airbrick, as there is currently only one on the side and it'd beneficial as the current air bricks don't run the same direction as the joists. Obviously he only had limited access, but I did tell him we were considering carpets in the near future so taking up all of the current laminate isn't an issue. We did have heavy rain today and I just wonder if there's a bit of leak through the brick? I have found the odd weevil in the kitchen too, but I'm not sure if they're just wanderers, I really don't wanna have to take up all the kitchen floor too! But I assume more ventilation would help dry out that wood.
    Other than that, there is absolutely no sign of damp anywhere in the house. No mould, nothing.

As for lino, I actually found some gorgeous textured lino which I'd never known of. It definitely made me reconsider, because whenever lino was mentioned, I'd always think of the horrible cheap stuff we have. Seriously you'll know the kind I mean. I am used to carpet though. It's what makes a place feel cosy to me. As long as it was in the living room I'd cope with the rest.

The other ideas are just that for now. I don't want to sink money too much into the place with the likes of a new bathroom, until I know I can settle here. The kitchen makeover did help a lot though, it's amazing what changing some cupboard doors and adding a worktop will do. This anxiety could also be tiredness. We've done SO much already before we even moved in. It's just neverending!
  • Smodlet
    edited 17 July 2019 at 10:55PM
    Options
    I think Doozergirl really needs to come on this thread; she owns a building company and stuff that terrifies we mere mortals is nothing to her.

I wonder if the external ground levels are too close to (or even higher than) your damp course, Lumabones. That will cause all sorts of problems (though they would probably be way more obvious than you say they are) but all it takes is a strong person with a spade and a whole lot of ventilation to fix. All is fixable, it just takes time, effort and, of course, money.

The second night we were in this house, I really wanted to kill myself; this move was not from choice but I didn't (obvs) and, for all we both hate it here, OH has done a brilliant job of making the best of a bad situation. This place is unrecognisable compared to when we bought it nearly seven years ago. We will never like the area or the type of house but we just have to get on with things, don't we?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback