Dacia Duster (2018 version)

wymondham
wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 11 December 2018 at 5:37PM in Motoring
Hi All

Are there any bods out there with one of the new Dusters? They are much smarter than the first generation and trim/equipment level is also much improved - I'd appreciate any reviews from existing owners?

Undecided on next car and had intended to go large (Jag XE/Seat Cupra) so this is completely different/off tangent!! (bet you didn't see that coming!!!)

I was disappointed with the Jag on the test drive and the Cupra doesn't have a speed limiter anymore (I use this heavily in built up areas). Just looking for something different...…. :) I find most makes/models boring to look at and 'samey' ...

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nissan Juke underneath the skin?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    wymondham wrote: »
    Hi All

Are there any bods out there with one of the new Dusters? They are much smarter than the first generation and trim/equipment level is also much improved - I'd appreciate any reviews from existing owners?

Undecided on next car and had intended to go large (Jag XE/Seat Cupra) so this is completely different/off tangent!! (bet you didn't see that coming!!!)

I was disappointed with the Jag on the test drive and the Cupra doesn't have a speed limiter anymore (I use this heavily in built up areas). Just looking for something different...…. :) I find most makes/models boring to look at and 'samey' ...

They are excellent value but they are very much a budget car and as such the look, touch and feel wont be what you're used to.

Not saying that they've bad - because they're not - but they are cheap for a reason.
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was hiring these on the continent long before they made it to the UK and they are great, but they are built to a very tight price and can sometimes feel it, though that's not exactly bad news, all the parts have been in production a good while and well used in the past in various Renaults, so they tend to be quite robust.

I found the basic 4x4 model rather refreshing, there's nothing like it for hammering it down French farm tracks all day.

Oddly, their deprecation isn't as high as you think, they tend to loose little less than similar cars and the percentage of what they do loose is based on a much smaller figure.
    They can be quite a popular used buy and dealers tend to shift them quite quickly.

I would steer clear of the 1.2 TCE turbo petrol, they suffered some serious issues in various Renaults and Nissans that got fitted with them.
    The NA 1.6 is the one to go for if you don't fancy a diesel.

Early UK models were built in India and weren't as rust proofed as they needed to be for the UK market, so reports of rust on these is quite common.

On a similar theme, the Suzuki Vitara is a very similar car, though obviously a lot more money.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks all, I also hear they will get new engines in March - 1.3 turbo petrol engines with the highest bhp on a Dacia!
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Im getting one of these January. The comfort version doesnt feel cheap to me at all. In fact compared to my 2007 focus it seems as good quality wise at least. The prestige version is very impressive for the money. With forward, rear and side camera, keyless entry, auto headlights etc. Once I get it mid Jan ill post back with a proper review. Ive gone for 4x4 1.6 Sce prestige.
  • SG27 wrote: »
    Im getting one of these January. The comfort version doesnt feel cheap to me at all. In fact compared to my 2007 focus it seems as good quality wise at least. The prestige version is very impressive for the money. With forward, rear and side camera, keyless entry, auto headlights etc. Once I get it mid Jan ill post back with a proper review. Ive gone for 4x4 1.6 Sce prestige.

Comparing it to an 11 year old Ford. :rotfl:
  • SG27
    Comparing it to an 11 year old Ford. :rotfl:

Fair enough theres an age diffence. What Im saying is that it doesnt feel cheap. But you are right I haven't had any experience with other brands of more modern new cars.
  • With that spec it probably isn't what I'd call cheap if it's brand new.
  • SG27
    With that spec it probably isn't what I'd call cheap if it's brand new.

Its cheap in comparison to any other new similar sized suv. But at around £17000 its still a lot of money.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    wymondham wrote: »
    Are there any bods out there with one of the new Dusters? They are much smarter than the first generation
    This was the first generation Duster, sold here officially for a few years in the mid 80s.

Dacia-Duster-4x4-ShifterPick-up-1986-87-Original.jpg

The current car is a facelift of the one that's been for sale here since 2009. It's built on the same platform as the Renault Clio II that was launched in 1998 and the Micra K12 that was launched in 2002, also under the Nissan Juke, Note and NV200 van.

If it's what you want, buy it - but don't buy it thinking it's something new... It's not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure