PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty 2nd Home Refund - MIssed deadline, help !

Options
Hi,
I'm hoping someone might be able to help.
We moved house in August 2017 and had to pay the addtional stamp duty for a second home as we hadn't sold the hosue we were selling at the time. We then sold our first home at the end of May 2018.

We then submitted a refund claim via the HMRC site in June 2018 (or so we thought), and because we had read there were delays of 3 months, we didn't properly follow up until Septemer 2018 (as we kept expecting a response at any time). It turned out we hadn't properly submitted the refund claim in June 2018 (our fault), so we then put inb the refund claim in Septmber 2018. We have received a letter from HMRC today telling informing us we haven't claimed in time, and therefore no refund !

Is there any help anyone can give or advice ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thought you had three years to claim :think:

Hopefully someone else can clarify.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the time limits are unfortunately the time limits...

you purchased in Aug17. I'll assume you filed your SDLT return at that time (it must be within 30 days so we'll assume no later than Sept 17).

Therefore the refund time limit is the LATER of:
    a) 12 months after the date you filed the return, so Sept 18 at the latest
    OR
    b) 3 months after you sold the previous main residence (so end of Aug 2018)

you have therefore missed both deadlines. You can appeal to HMRC's kindness, but don't expect to win

see here:
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/stamp-duty-land-tax-manual/sdltm09809
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I suggest your first port of call is to double check that you really had to pay the 3% extra in the first place.

Let's call the house you sold in May 2018 "Property B". The house bought in August 2017 is "Property C".

Was there a Property A which you owned and lived in, but which you only sold after you bought Property B?

Or, to put it another way, you "bridged" buying Property C before you sold Property B. Had you bridged before?

What this is driving at is whether Condition D was failed on your purchase of Property C because of the way the replacement rules work.
  • burdettp
    Options
    Hi,
    Thank for the replies.
    Unfortunately SDLT Geek we lived in 'Property B' for 10 years and lived there up until we bought 'Property C' in August 2017, so don't think we bridged properties.

I'm guessing the only option is to try to appeal to HMRC's better nature, but I'm not optimistic.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Thought you had three years to claim :think:
    You have three years to sell your old house
    Once you've sold it you have 3 months to reclaim the stamp duty.
    That's being increased to 12 months now but that won't help OP who has already sold their old house.
    poppy10
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    burdettp wrote: »

I'm guessing the only option is to try to appeal to HMRC's better nature, but I'm not optimistic.
    Private companies sometimes make 'ex-gratia' payments, over-look or bend the rules, or whatever, in the interests of good customer service and the creation of goodwill and a positive reputation.

(not all companies, but some!).

HMRC do not do this. They follow rules. Indeed, they have a legal duty to follow rules.

If you missed the deadline, you missed the deadline.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd write once more, explaining that you thought it had been submitted but that their website was playing up (surprise, surprise) and then to your MP specifically to tell them had trouble submitting the claim.

HMRC are hardly the most organised and their website is just dreadful to the point of being a joke. Don't even start me on their "help"lines.

I had major issues with HMRC a few years ago and my MP got me a written apology from the Chief Executive of HMRC. It didn't come with the money they owed me, but it did come eventually.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • Suneeta
    Options
    Hi

Did you find any help to reclaim you higher stamp duty after you missed the deadline?
    I am facing the same issue. I missed the deadline by a week.
    it is so unfair that instead of fining me, the HMRC is refusing to refund me any amount. I was due to be refunded £15000.
    very must distressed.
    any help !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family