Walked out at work

Morning all,

Try to keep this as simple as possible with some bullet points to please my situation just not sure where to go or what to do next

- A year ago i had a period of on and off sickness my doctor put down to stress and over working. This continued for 2 months until after a incedent a work where a employee tried to take his own life and decided to call me first to ask me to make sure his family wasnt the one to find him i finally got so sick i had to go off.

- Was at first told i had a irregular heatbeat caused by stress and anxiety and to rest. 6 weeks later was diagonsed with depression and 2 months after that while still signed off sick tried to take my own life only managing to do minor nerve damage which dosnt affect me daily. Stayed off a few more months at my doctors advice and eventually was diagnosed with agoraphobia after every attempt to go out in public brought on panic attacks and suicidal thoughts

- Got the help and medication i required and started to feel better so after a 3 month wait finally got a ocupational health report and return to work plan. I went back and lasted just under two weeks ( medication causing issues ) so was signed off again so they could change all my medication and get me some extra therapy which worked! Even managing to get myself off all medication apart from one for blood pressure so i was ready to work again!

- Made the call i was ready to return and was told i could not as they had replaced me with a agency worker and they couldnt afford o pay double. When i said that wasnt for me to sort out he then said i needed a letter from my doctor stating i was fully fit for work. Went to the doctor same day only to be told they would not do that and it was down to ocupational health or a doctor my company retains. Told my manager this who said he didnt care and i would have to take it up with HR

- Called and emialed HR 9 days on the trot until finally able to get hold of the HR director who said seknew nothing about the note and to just return to work. When i mentioned the delay and lacj of pay while i tried to communicate with HR i was told tough i shuld have just came in and sorted it ( so no pay for this period )

- When i returned and had to fill in the return to work paperwork my role on it was listed as something else. I queried this and was told i had been demoted and i would need to speak to a upper manager or HR. I made him put down i was unhappy with that change on the paperwork

- Two days later finally got to talk to the manager who said he didnt trust me to be able to do my previous role ( award winning manager of a busy site ) and as i was still getting paid the same i didnt have to be given notice of any change. Then went on to joke "your head might not be in it...literally" told me the previous return to work was still active even tho as i pointed out i wasnt working limited hours like it had and he just shrugged me off

- Later that day i had a panic attack at work and had to leave site communicating to HR i dont think i can work there any longer due to the way my sickness and return had been handled ad how it has already affected me

Raised a official grievance so i can lay out my reasons but had no reply or acknowledgment of it yet in any form. I have been told to start a UC claim but suely im techinally still employed and they will pay my holiday pay so wont get any UC money anyway. What else should i do?

thanks!

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    What else should I do? Get out of the place permanently as soon as you can. The scenario you describe is very similar in many ways to that experienced by a close friend of mine about 20 years ago. Even OH had stated that he should not return to working night shift where he worked virtually alone, but his manager insisted he did. End result was a total breakdown from which he has never fully recovered.

Please don't allow yourselft to go down that route.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So they demoted you without even informing you beforehand, or mentioning it in any discussions? On that basis alone I would have thought there is the possibility of claiming constructive dismissal.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • I know its probably not what you want to hear but I wouldn't go back there, I wouldn't get into the realms of grievances either.

I would take time and care to get myself well again and then search for more suitable employment
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    So they demoted you without even informing you beforehand, or mentioning it in any discussions? On that basis alone I would have thought there is the possibility of claiming constructive dismissal.

Personally I can't see one, but even if there was enough to bring a case there are so many defenses the employer can use it'd be pointless. It's not wholly unreasonable to change someone's responsibilities after such a long sickness. And they had only been back a couple of days, not really enough to work on.

@OP I would just email HR to clarify you have given notice and ask if they will let you leave immediately without notice. Until they confirm I'd either go to work or follow any relevant procedures for calling in sick.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning all,

Try to keep this as simple as possible with some bullet points to please my situation just not sure where to go or what to do next

- A year ago i had a period of on and off sickness my doctor put down to stress and over working. This continued for 2 months until after a incedent a work where a employee tried to take his own life and decided to call me first to ask me to make sure his family wasnt the one to find him i finally got so sick i had to go off.

- Was at first told i had a irregular heatbeat caused by stress and anxiety and to rest. 6 weeks later was diagonsed with depression and 2 months after that while still signed off sick tried to take my own life only managing to do minor nerve damage which dosnt affect me daily. Stayed off a few more months at my doctors advice and eventually was diagnosed with agoraphobia after every attempt to go out in public brought on panic attacks and suicidal thoughts

- Got the help and medication i required and started to feel better so after a 3 month wait finally got a ocupational health report and return to work plan. I went back and lasted just under two weeks ( medication causing issues ) so was signed off again so they could change all my medication and get me some extra therapy which worked! Even managing to get myself off all medication apart from one for blood pressure so i was ready to work again!

- Made the call i was ready to return and was told i could not as they had replaced me with a agency worker and they couldnt afford o pay double. When i said that wasnt for me to sort out he then said i needed a letter from my doctor stating i was fully fit for work. Went to the doctor same day only to be told they would not do that and it was down to ocupational health or a doctor my company retains. Told my manager this who said he didnt care and i would have to take it up with HR

- Called and emialed HR 9 days on the trot until finally able to get hold of the HR director who said seknew nothing about the note and to just return to work. When i mentioned the delay and lacj of pay while i tried to communicate with HR i was told tough i shuld have just came in and sorted it ( so no pay for this period )

- When i returned and had to fill in the return to work paperwork my role on it was listed as something else. I queried this and was told i had been demoted and i would need to speak to a upper manager or HR. I made him put down i was unhappy with that change on the paperwork

- Two days later finally got to talk to the manager who said he didnt trust me to be able to do my previous role ( award winning manager of a busy site ) and as i was still getting paid the same i didnt have to be given notice of any change. Then went on to joke "your head might not be in it...literally" told me the previous return to work was still active even tho as i pointed out i wasnt working limited hours like it had and he just shrugged me off

- Later that day i had a panic attack at work and had to leave site communicating to HR i dont think i can work there any longer due to the way my sickness and return had been handled ad how it has already affected me

Raised a official grievance so i can lay out my reasons but had no reply or acknowledgment of it yet in any form. I have been told to start a UC claim but suely im techinally still employed and they will pay my holiday pay so wont get any UC money anyway. What else should i do?

thanks!

It does sound like they were right to give you a role with less responsibility if you couldn't even manage one day without a panic attack.

You said originally that this was all caused by stress and over working so why would you want to go back into a roll that made you ill?
    A lot of people would jump at the chance to do a role with less responsibility and the same pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure