£29,303...Enough is enough!

Comments

• Its the beginning of a new week. Lets start as we mean to go on.

Minimum payment made to barclaycard and Ive been able to transfer some of the M&S balance to this card on 0%, so they currently look like:

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Barclaycard....................8380......160...... .0
    RateSetter ....................4000......87.64.....7.4
    Hitachi..........................11780.....226.5.... 3.4
    M&S Card......................1161......35..........22. 9
    MBNA...........................3831......70......... .0

Total debt now £29,152

Good to see you have dug up the interest rates as this helps you figure out which debt to take out first. I take it you are going to aim everything you have got on the M&S card first as it's the highest interest and lowest balance?
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • WelshKitty85
    WelshKitty85 Posts: 1,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 July 2018 at 10:20AM
    Good to see you have dug up the interest rates as this helps you figure out which debt to take out first. I take it you are going to aim everything you have got on the M&S card first as it's the highest interest and lowest balance?

Absolutely. Priority is to ensure we have enough coming in to cover all bills and minimum payments, then anything left over will be thrown at the M&S card.

ETA: if and when the car refund comes through we will pay off the M&S card completely and pay off a big chunk of the RateSetter loan.
  • Mummy_bear
    Mummy_bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi, good luck on your debt busting journey x

I've just subscribed so will follow your progress x
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    Hi, just stopping by to wish you luck! Fingers crossed for some work coming your partner's way because that seems like a good way to ramp up the debt repayment.

You say that he relies on agency work is there a way he could register for more agency work elsewhere to open up more work opportunities? Without knowing what he does, I'm not sure if this is viable. Alternatively, he could seek some casual work elsewhere so that he can pick up some work when he's quiet?

Just some thoughts!

All the best :)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • WelshKitty85
    Mummy_bear wrote: »
    Hi, good luck on your debt busting journey x

I've just subscribed so will follow your progress x

Thank you & welcome
  • WelshKitty85
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    Hi, just stopping by to wish you luck! Fingers crossed for some work coming your partner's way because that seems like a good way to ramp up the debt repayment.

You say that he relies on agency work is there a way he could register for more agency work elsewhere to open up more work opportunities? Without knowing what he does, I'm not sure if this is viable. Alternatively, he could seek some casual work elsewhere so that he can pick up some work when he's quiet?

Just some thoughts!

All the best :)

Hello & thank you for the suggestions. He’s actually been to register with another agency today and has found 2 more permanent jobs to apply for, which is the ultimate goal.
  • JonW1984
    JonW1984 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Hi, good luck getting this sorted, you can do it!

Can I ask what the position is with the cars? You have listed £25,000 assets, can you look at selling and downgrading? £500 - £1000 can buy a reliable and usable car to see you through until the debt is cleared?

The obvious answer to me seems to be for your husband to get steady work. I would have thought even a steady but low paying job is better than sporadic and unpredictable work?

Can you reach out to your friends and family and get them all to ask around for any full time jobs going? Often a personal recommendation can go a long way to him getting a foot in the door somewhere.

Good luck!
    [STRIKE]18/06/18 - £16,189.29
    18/07/18 - £15,384.34[/STRIKE]
    22/12/19 - £11,209.95
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    Hello & thank you for the suggestions. He’s actually been to register with another agency today and has found 2 more permanent jobs to apply for, which is the ultimate goal.

Great! Hope things get moving soon for him to get you all in a better position.

Another question is re: the cars, but I see that someone has already commented on that. How soon until you know whether you can reclaim the cost from the CC company? If not, will you be selling one of the other cars?
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • WelshKitty85
    Ive made a phone call today to chase up the S75 claim. They say I should have a letter by 2nd Aug and they aim to resolve it with 60 days, so end Aug/beginning Sept it should be resolved. My car makes up the bulk of the remaining £20,000. I have thought about downgrading but dont know where I stand ending the finance agreement and don’t think I have equity in it to sell it and pay off the finance.

DH actually got a previous job from a family friend but it ended when they stopped paying him. To date they still owe him around £2,000. We took them to court, sent enforcement to the house etc and they took out an IVA so we’re now getting payments of around £6 a month.

He’s just taken a call and has work tomorrow :j
  • WelshKitty85
    And yes, worst case scenario if CC wont pay out for the car is that we sell it on. But as its significantly not as described, we cant expect to get back what we paid so would make a loss.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback