Digging my way out

Comments

• A very wet and windy day here today. Horses all done, out with rugs on!! What? It's August!, nevermind as long as they are warm and dry. Have checked my greenhouse and the tomatoes look fab just still green. Runner beans are looking good and tonight we will have some, so pleased, can't believe how happy I am at small things :). Also plate of mushrooms from the field this morning. :) Made my day.
    Made pasties for lunch, using the same filling as before which is half a bag of frozen mash from Tesco and half a tin of corned beef from the freezer and 10 oz of pastry homemade, made 10 pasties, thats great, DH and DS had 2 each for dinner so that leaves 6 over, DH can have pastie and chips for tea tomorrow.
    Have cleaned through today and hoovered up and down so thats a nice feeling, I like it clean.
    Diet is going well as of today have now lost a total of 17lb only 4lb more to my target, very happy about that :).
    A NSD today, so shopping fund remains the same as does the bank account no change there. Statement for the CC is due on 23 Aug so then I can update totals.
    Daily shopping fund is now £1.58 as 17 days left in August.
    Saturday is going to be a spend day, I am going to buy what we need only and stick to the list and hope I can get it right and buy for the whole week in one shop, we have already run out of cereal so I've told DH we are having toast until then :)
    I might make some biscuits in a bit easy peasy Mary Berrys fork biscuits with chocolate chips, also an eggless sponge, apparently you can substitute apple sauce for eggs, so lets give it a go or maybe a fruit loaf or maybe both :0
    Weight loss 6lb/16lb 10lb to go
    I spend an insane amount of time wondering if I am doing it right, sometimes I remind myself that I am doing my best....and that is enough
  • I can't believe how often we actually go shopping, I honestly thought we hardly ever went. I suppose logging it on here is an eye opener so well worth it.
    NSD again so good. I've taken two trays of stewing steak from the freezer, they are not on my meal plan for the week but as they have been there a little while I am going to make steak and mushroom pie tomorrow, using the mushrooms from the field and a few frozen onion pieces. Then cut it up and put it back in the freezer cooked, in portions.
    My Mum called in and had a pastie which was nice, she said she enjoyed it. I didn't make cake but did make a biscuit barrel full of chocolate chip cookies. Tomorrow DH is having pastie and chips for tea but as there are 5 I might give two to DH and DS to take with them when they go out tomorrow as a snack, then I will make homemade bread rolls and cook sausages for hot dogs when they get back. I am going to cook one more sausage than needed as Friday's tea for DH is homemade pizza, bake pots and salad so I will slice a sausage on the pizza with mushrooms and cheese and that will fill him up :) DH had southern fried chicken and beef rice tonight for tea, the beef rice was going out of date this August so waste no want not. I cleaned all the kitchen cupboards out on Sunday so now I can keep better track of food.
    I am really liking the idea of having less in my freezer and in all fairness I think it will be a lot easier to plan, keep track and of course I will have room for any runner beans that we can't eat if we have too many and also a clutter free freezer and home makes a clutter free mind :)
    I spend an insane amount of time wondering if I am doing it right, sometimes I remind myself that I am doing my best....and that is enough
  • Yes, it's amazing how good it feels to clear things of stuff, right? I'm working through my food stores and it's so satisfying making space and it's also a pretty fun challenge to eat the same ingredients in different ways.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Well done on the weight loss and money saving and home baking - impressive.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Thanks guys for the support and compliments :) You're both doing pretty impressive yourselves :)

Today I have checked the bank - no change again. Mortgage has updated adding interest for this month something I need to be more aware of, I knew that it happened obviously but it would be better for me to see the outstanding balance once that has been added, so mortgage total today has risen to £149,647.25, the mortgage payment will go out on or around the 25th but I wont update it until around the 15th of September when the interest has been added again. Never mind just getting used to how it works :)
    Shopping is the same as NSD yesterday, although to be fair we have no cereal and although I told DH to have toast, I missed my cereal this morning as I count calories and the toast was just not cutting it, as I have already had another two pieces of toast and coffee just now, no good for me otherwise I will be back where I started. So perhaps we just need to go and buy cereal and milk today, would cost us £3.09 in all, and stick to just those 3 things and then do the now weekly top up shops when they are due, two in all before the end of August.
    Very pleased today to find a bag of mushrooms and a reasonable tub of blackberries ready in the field this morning, the mushrooms have just gone straight into the steak pie which I will cut into 6 pieces so 6 meals for DH compared to putting the entire tray of stewing steak into some gravy and pouring over mash with some veg, lots of savings there. Only thing was I took two trays out to make pies and as I went to tip the one into the frying pan I dropped it (story of my life!) and it tipped all over the dishwasher and the floor, raw meat everywhere and I hate it. I scraped it up and put it in another frying pan and it is cooling for the dogs at the minute. So a waste there really but happy dogs so not all bad :)
    After I've had a sit down I will go an make some jam with the blackberries it is DS's favorite might get two jars if we are lucky...................I've just been to take my pie out as it is cooked, so it's now cooling on the rack and have quickly washed the blackberries, ooooo the little critters that live in them, they are now soaking in a bowl of water to flush the rest out, some say it's extra protein but I would prefer they are out out out out out.
    I am really enjoying writing here every day, it puts my thoughts into the correct boxes and instead of being irrational and impulsive ideas, they are being put to some good use, money saving! It makes you inindfull :)
  • I decided to let the blackberries soak for longer and by the time they were ready I had to cook the rolls for dinner so in the end I have left them to do tomorrow.
    Two really lucky things happened today 1, my Mum went to post a letter for me and it came to £1.90, she told me she would 'let me of'f' paying for it as she had found 2 £1 coins on the pavement...how lucky is that! :) Then 2, my Mum arrives this afternoon and walks in with 4 pints of milk, apparently she had just had a Tesco delivery and couldn't fit this last 4 pinter in her freezer, so could I make use of it??!!! OH YES!! :)
    So this evening instead of buying milk and cereal at Aldi, we just bought cereal and stuck to the list total spend £2. To make sure we did it, we went in and went straight to the cereal section and then walked straight to the till. Go us!! So with free blackberries, mushrooms, milk and post it's been a good day :)
    Shopping budget left until end of August is now £19.60 in the bank and £5.32 in my purse. Total of £24.92 which is £1.55 per day. Next shopping day I think, will be Sunday and that will top up for the coming week.
    Tea tonight was pastie and chips and a homemade roll, tomorrows dinner for DH and DS will be homemade rolls and maybe southern fried chicken or similar inside, and homemade pizza for DH for tea.
  • Oh what a wet and miserable day today. Everyone has been walking around with faces like slapped !!!!!!! I desperately hope it will be dry tomorrow as it makes everyones life easier.
    Shopping account and shopping purse all the same today, it was a NSD. Well, I did get deodorant but DD went into the shop to get it and didn't tell me how much it was so I will pay tomorrow when she does. Hay was delivered today and the horses are now back in for the night tucked up warm.
    I spent most of the day cooking, I decided to make a large amount of cakes and freeze a lot of them, so I worked out how much cake ingredients I had left and then divided into the most cakes I could get from it. So 24 rock cakes, 24 maid of honour cakes made with homemade blackcurrant jam and a fruit loaf and still have 2 eggs left. Half of each will go in the freezer, I will need to buy freezer bags until I can either afford tubs or DD and DS's fiance save me some of their plastic tubs from the takeaways they have.
    Dinner for DH and DS was homemade rolls and chicken which they enjoyed and tea tonight was homemade pizza, bake potatoes and lettuce from the greenhouse. Another large plate of mushrooms this morning from the field, so some went on the pizza and tomorrow when I get the freezer bags the rest will go in the freezer.
    It's kind of nice seeing the freezer beginning to empty, don't get me wrong it's still packed just not rammed full.
    It's going to be very small steps to paying off the debt I am just hoping things pick up over the next few months and we can start to pay off much quicker I want to see dents in it and big ones.
    Today I went with DD to the vets and bought wormer and flea treatment for our baby girl, I hadn't budgeted and it was only when I was there I realised that she needed it, so another emergency fund required to stop that happening again. Another i've added another emergency account to the list called house maintenance as when I got in lunchtime there was water leaking from the roof and running down one of the blinds onto the windowsill. With no money at all it has to be a job for the future despite the damage it's doing, it's so depressing :(
    I've got to think this is a slow road and so far we have not veered off it for any wants, we have to keep on going and be as frugal as possible and plan ahead with all the emergency funds and bit by bit add to them, nothing else we can do.
  • This will be the 3rd time I have tried to post tonight hopefully this will work :)
    No mushrooms this morning, too cold I think as it was raining and chilly all day and night yesterday.
    I am finding organising finances and making sure I am as frugal as possible is very time consuming.
    Decided to go to Aldi today for a necessities shop, milk bought as a 6 litre as cheaper per litre and will last longer, eggs as I need to make sponge and have scrambled egg during the week and food bags to put my baking in the freezer otherwise it will all go to waste. Total spend £3.22 stuck to the list.
    Was a bit upset though when I left Aldi as the lady had refused some of my money saying the 10p was not UK tender, ...it wasn't when I checked it was from America, I only tend to use cash in Aldi so they might have given it to me on a previous shop, anyway not a great result and I was not happy. Later at home I found a 20p which had come out of DH's clothes in the washing machine and when I went to give it to him he gave it to me and I know he did it because of the Aldi 10p saga, love him :). I also bought small freezer bags instead of medium as there were 80 in the small and 50 in the medium although when I put some fruit loaf in the freezer tonight I needed two pages per 2 slices as they were too big, note to self I need medium and small and will only use medium when absolutely necessary. I also froze 10 maid of honour cakes, 4 rock cakes and 5 homemade rolls.
    DH had steak pie and chips for tea and a bread roll so he is very happy tonight, its one of his favourites.
    I have made some more accounts today a car maintenance fund, a car insurance fund and a fund for our beloved doggy in case she needs the vets or flea or wormer treatment etc. I don't ever want to be in this situation again in my life and am trying very hard to preempt any expenses. I can honestly say I have had the biggest light bulb moment ever.
  • Despite the small setbacks, today seems productive and proactive.

It's amazing how hard that wake up call hits you, right? It's like once you see everything, you can't unsee it and just have to plough forward and try your best.

You seem to be doing amazing! I'm rooting for you, wholeheartedly :)

P.s. DH was sweet for doing that!
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It is more time consuming to be frugal and change in-grained habits. It will get easier. Nice that your mum helped you out and had some good fortune herself in finding £. I was listening to a book about millionaires this week- he said instead of judging the denomination of £ he picks it up, kisses it and says thank you for new money coming into his life. I like the idea of it... although I'm not planning to kiss £ as such lol.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport