New driveway and neighbours not happy.

Comments

• MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Bad neighbours do get you down. I know that too. But I've re-framed it in my mind into "That's a compliment to me that I know how to behave, when there's others that don't seem to. Good for me for knowing how to behave properly, when some others don't. I'm not a chav if they are". I've also realised that there are other people that know what they are like and regard me as "strong" for living my life/treating my home as normal regardless and admire me for being strong and just living normally.

I guess one of the few positive sides to it only being me having to cope with the neighbours on my own is that, though I do feel it has made the neighbours more likely to misbehave because there isn't a man living with me, at least there is no-one else in my household that might want to deal with the neighbours differently to mine (of just ignoring them and living as if I had normal neighbours).

So my advice to OP would be that "At least you don't have differences of opinion within your own home as to how to deal with these neighbours" and "Tell yourself how strong you are for just getting on with your life in a normal way, despite them, and some people would be weak and cave in and let the neighbours walk all over them and treat your property as if it were their own. But you are strong enough not to be such a wimp". So you are stronger than you thought you were and are probably stronger than many other people.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    The white H-bar or Access Protection Marking is an advisory marking, so not enforceable, however if you have told the Council anyone obstructing your dropped kerb can be issued a PCN, then if a CEO observes a vehicle adjacent to the dropped kerb, it will be issued a PCN.
    In a practical sense, it's a motoring offence to trap someone's vehicle in their property by parking badly, so the police should act in those circumstances, if informed.

They will not act if the parking simply prevents entry.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »
    In a practical sense, it's a motoring offence to trap someone's vehicle in their property by parking badly, so the police should act in those circumstances, if informed.

They will not act if the parking simply prevents entry.

In reality though, with Police resources how they are, they will not attend.
  • MoneySeeker1
    I'd say it's that sort of thing that PCSO's are there for, ie community issues.
  • Barny1979
    I'd say it's that sort of thing that PCSO's are there for, ie community issues.

PCSO's don't have the powers to enforce though generally.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    In reality though, with Police resources how they are, they will not attend.
    Depends how often it happens, I think. Too often and it's harrassment, which won't be ignored.

Yes, a one off isn't worth the resources. My wife, whose only motoring conviction in 40 years was for exactly one such offence, agrees! :rotfl:
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Ignore, ignore and ignore again.

This! Why on earth are you engaging with them? I'd quite enjoy telling them in animated terms where to stick it, but you don't have to be rude or confrontational. I think a long sigh, a rueful smile and simply walking away whenever the subject turns that way would be effective.

It's bullying really, and bullies stop bullying when they stop getting a response.
  • MoneySeeker1
    shortcrust wrote: »
    This! Why on earth are you engaging with them? I'd quite enjoy telling them in animated terms where to stick it, but you don't have to be rude or confrontational. I think a long sigh, a rueful smile and simply walking away whenever the subject turns that way would be effective.

It's bullying really, and bullies stop bullying when they stop getting a response.

That's very much what I mean as to how to deal with them.

Mini-episode this morning - one of my bad neighbours glares at me as I walk past and I just looked "confident"/made sure I was standing upright (not hunched) and walked confidently past them and pretended I'd not noticed.

They are the ones likely to be "boiling over" emotionally and upsetting their blood pressure and I'm not.
  • Barny1979
    Out of interest are the neighbours' houses owned or rented?
  • Barny1979 wrote: »
    Out of interest are the neighbours' houses owned or rented?

They're all owned, unless this q was for another poster. I'm the 'new' one on the block though
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure