Squirrelling away the pennies for debt free life

Comments

• Lendrid
    Lendrid Posts: 23 Forumite
    Hi Squirrelly

thank you so much for subscribing to my rambles so far. I've only just worked out how to reciprocate! Just reading your story has tugged deeply at my heart. It sounds as though your whole family has suffered terribly through circumstances completely out of your control.

I know it is a useless thing to say really, but you've handled it all admirably and I hope that you're able to be kind to yourself with this next chapter. Have you guys been able to have a break away? Get your house back to feeling like yours again?

Best wishes, Lennie xxx
  • Robin09
    Robin09 Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi Squirrelly,

Just read your diary and have subscribed. Good luck with your debt free journey, you sound very focused :)

From the outside our next door neighbour looks the same as any other on our street. But he is also a very severe hoarder. It stresses me out going in there when I pop around to check in on him, so can only imagine what it was like for you all to live with it for so long. For most of this year he has been in a care home after being taken ill but as he told me, came home to stop them removing anything. Now, I'm sure he might have some treasures in there but 99% is actual junk and tinned food, he is always seen roaming the charity shops. There is rooms he hasn't been able to get into for years and he lives in the kitchen and sleeps in a chair. The door is hard to shut when I walk in as there is no standing space and stuff higher than my head. He's been offered help before but they just seem to let him get on with it now as he reacts angrily too :( plus he has no family. It is hard to understand as he pays people to keep his front garden well kept (we won't mention the back garden :o) so most people wouldn't be aware of the situation. All very sad. I'm glad you have got your home back to yourselves and DH's parents are still getting support. You have done amazing to put up with it and I wish you all well.
    SPC 076
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    That sounds really tough - glad you're out the other side and that they are no longer in your house. I recently got introduced to a book called Boundaries that I am finding helpful for me.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • lindez
    lindez Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Squirrelly your journey has been really tough I will be following you hope you have a great weekend. x
    MFWB#2
    MFTT5 #28
    Save 12k 2020 #111
  • Happy Monday Squirrel Friends,

Thank you to all that stopped by to comment on our debt story, your kind words mean a lot to us both. Things are so much better now and my relationship with my in laws is on the mend, I am actually going to paint their house for them to save them money on paying for a decorator, we will continue to help them for as long as they need...just with everyone in their own space :o

So how did we get on with the weekend shenangins, well it was every bit as lovely as I hoped. The local history event was great, the girls painted a shield and did some calligraphy with ink and quills, they also ran around like wild things and burnt off loads of energy:) . Boy Squirrel has a love of all things GoT and Lord of the Rings so he had a fab time looking at various bows and arrows etc.

We also stopped at the community garden and just LOVED it, so I am going to start volunteering there on Saturdays, I have been looking for something to get involved with and this seems perfect.

We spent most of the £10 on Saturday, £2 on donations for the history event, £2.50 on a jar of apricot jam from the community garden (totally delicious, had it on my crumpets for brekkie this morning) and finally £4.86 on ice cream and sweeties for the kids.

Sunday Squirrel Girl had a wonderful time at Cadburys world I gave her £10 to cover expenses but she was treated by the friends grandparents :). She has asked to keep the £10 to put towards a Tortoise :rotfl:which is her latest animal obsession.

I worked on Sunday and have some great news! A former colleague approached me as she needs a supervisior for her store (Im currently in a temp position after being made redundant in April) a slight increase in hours but only 4 more a week and a 40p an hour extra...Mr Squirrel crunched the numbers and I should have almost 2k a year more take home. So I am definitely going to go for it.

Hoping for some NSD this week and will keep you updated with our progress

xxx
    DEBT : Aug 2019 [STRIKE]£6220[/STRIKE] £5970
    EF :[STRIKE] £250[/STRIKE] £500
    Short term savings: [STRIKE]£200[/STRIKE] £325
  • Elnora32
    Elnora32 Posts: 172 Forumite
    [FONT=&quot]Hello Squirrelly,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I’ve read through your diary and I’m sorry that you had such a difficult time – well done for getting through it and still being so supportive to your in-laws.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]You’re doing really well with your debt journey and I’m sure it won’t be long until you’re a mortgage free wannabe.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Great news on the job offer – well done.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Elnora[/FONT]
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sounds great about the job opportunity. Good luck. Love the idea of a community garden
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Happy Hump day Squirrel Friends,

Happy to report a NSD! although only just...grab a cuppa, as I'm going to tell you a little story which is a perfect example of how I can slip off track.

This morning I was going to make some chocolate cup cakes to throw at the squirrel children for when they start demanding snacks (this can easily be by 10am despite finishing breakfast at 9.30am) I went to my baking supplies and realised I only had 5 paper cupcake cases left and my recipe will make at least 12. What to do? Well I seriously considered going to the corner shop and buying some more, after all I was making cupcakes. I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it took me a good couple of minutes to work out that if I just put my mixture into another tin I could make a chocolate tray bake instead and avoid a completely unnescessary expense :Abut avoid it I did and squirrel children very happy with their tray bake.

I am going to have my interview for the new job tomorrow, so I will keep it short and sweet this evening so I can do some research and get an early night.

Squirrelly x
    DEBT : Aug 2019 [STRIKE]£6220[/STRIKE] £5970
    EF :[STRIKE] £250[/STRIKE] £500
    Short term savings: [STRIKE]£200[/STRIKE] £325
  • Lendrid
    Lendrid Posts: 23 Forumite
    Squirrelly, I REALLY love this example of how easy it is to be derailed into spending money when not necessary. Thank you for the poke back in the right direction x
  • Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    Just read your diary and your debt story just made me want to reach out and give you a great big hug.

What a wonderful person you are having your in-laws come and live with you. I can't begin to imagine how hard that must have been and how tough the ongoing issues are. You sound like a really lovely person.

I have subscribed and shall be cheering you on.

Take care
    SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure