call prevention registry - a jump on the privacy bandwagon ?

Comments

• Relatives who've experienced the fallibility of TPS asked if I'd heard of something called the Call Prevention Registry, which on its website states:

The Call Prevention Registry was established in 2005 with the primary aim of becoming the Consumer Champion in nuisance call prevention. After finding that OUR NUSIANCE CALLS were getting out of hand, we first registered with the Telephone Preference Service which unfortunately didn't have the desired effect for us. So we setup our own independent body which ACTUALLY chases the companies who continue to pester our members with unwanted phone calls. We employ a team of 22 people in our hi-tech offices in Swansea and we work tirelessly for our customers.

Apparentrly you register your phone number with them and they do their job as the "consumer champion in nuisance call prevention."

"Hi-tech offices" in Swansea sound impressive, so I checked the contact address on the website and went to Google Street View for 1 York Street, Swansea, SA1 3LZ.

Mmmm.

Well worth a look for anyone interested in viewing Swansea's answer to Silicone Valley.

I also realised that notwithstanding all this 'Onest John guff about working for customers, consumer champion, etc etc, the website is markedly coy about the annual cost of signing up for its service.

In fact, I only found the price because I went through the Register process and unchecked the tick box about accepting the Terms & Conditions, then read the T&Cs. The fee was in there.

I've advised our relatives to have nothing to do with an outfit which purports to be a consumer champion but which buries its prices -- and also proclaims to operate a hi-tech operation the unimpressive reality of which is all too easily seen on Google.

I just wondered though: am I being too harsh here? And have others on MSE -- please: not instantly registered IDs, I'm not that daft -- any experience of using the Call Prevention Registry "service"?

Thanks.

I am disturbed to note that this dodgy, unregulated, unethical PRIVATE LIMITED COMPANY have set up in the beautiful city of swansea. If anybody is curious about them ( and let's face it, if you are reading this then they have already failed to steal from you) you would be wise to note that they used to sell second hand cars. And Bathrooms. And mobile phone insurance. I think you get my drift..

For further reading on this upstanding and essential provider of community services it would be worth considering that they have appointed one "Rene Kinzett", Conservative MP, as public relations officer, which, unless i am mistaken, seems to be in conflict with a paragraph here or there on conduct etc etc.

Yes, i have copied it. No, i wont delete it.

I suppose all i have to comment in summary is " Allo allo Rene, you have been fingered!".
  • I wonder if they can collect your data & sell it when you sign up?
    Not Again
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting to note the site statistics for this website. In March 2009 (following the start of this thread) their hits rose to 1,300 per month. By May 2009 the hits had dropped to zero!

http://www.statsaholic.com/www.callpreventionregistry.co.uk
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    MSE.com gets absolutely hammered with Google search. Post it here and it'll be on Google in minutes and cached forever for everyone to see. A valid public record.

That's what's good about MSE although it must cost Martin a small fortune to host this site.
  • yorksrabbit
    yorksrabbit Posts: 469 Forumite
    Looks like the website has had a make-over. But it still shrieks of "SCAM", especially as the annual £35.75p 'subscription' cost is deliberately buried in the T&Cs rather than being up-front, as it would with any legitimate business.

The site revision hasn't done much to counter the impression of a bunch of illiterate opportunitsts at work though --

There are many so called 'registers' out there all appertaining to do the same thing.

And the plastering, or maybe the appertaining of its website with the corporate logos of Royal Mail, Business Link and nPower (none of whom, I imagine, will have given their consent) is as meaningless as it's self-defeating.

Perhaps they should go back to selling tumble dryers, or whatever it was they were involved with before becoming the self-proclaimed "CONSUMER CHAMPION" of downtown (though hi-tech) Swansea. ;)
  • I foolishly signed up to this service not realising it wasn't the Telephone Preference Service (free) - DOH! Since signing up I have not seen a decrease in nuisance calls! I have phoned them up and complained and they said they needed to 'refresh my profile', this was over a month ago and still the calls keep coming! One could argue that had I not signed up to the Call Prevention Registry I would be receiving more but somehow I suspect not. Beware.
  • Jemma-T
    theorb wrote: »
    I foolishly signed up to this service not realising it wasn't the Telephone Preference Service (free) - DOH! Since signing up I have not seen a decrease in nuisance calls! I have phoned them up and complained and they said they needed to 'refresh my profile', this was over a month ago and still the calls keep coming! One could argue that had I not signed up to the Call Prevention Registry I would be receiving more but somehow I suspect not. Beware.

Kind of you to tell everyone, but what about taking a few minutes to contact the OFT to say you were ripped off by someone calling themselves a "Registry" and implying they are "official" and some sort of authority?

www.oft.gov.uk

The OFT shut down scumbag companies like this for breakfast but they need people to complain.
  • My step dad's just been 'done' by these people, partly my fault as I signed him up trying to help him out - thinking it was a free service like the TPS. Cleverly they've hidden their charges in their T&C's page in very small type. Utter gits they are, I sent them a letter on behalf of my step dad after he was conned into paying for it and they've ignored my letter even though it was sent by recorded delivery. I've been onto Watchdog about them as I think they're a fraud and I want them stopped!
  • Jemma-T
    BBC's Watchdog with that sewed up tightened face bint is not the proper place to complain.

Contact the OFT or Trading Standards.
  • Jemma-T wrote: »
    BBC's Watchdog with that sewed up tightened face bint is not the proper place to complain.

Contact the OFT or Trading Standards.

Slightly O/T I know, but that description of BBC TV's Watchdog is the most accurate I've seen.

Why so many people continue to think that Watchdog is a consumer protection 'authority' when it's merely a low-budget branch of BBC TV Light Entertainment is a mystery.

The fact that it has now been, er, revamped to chase the ratings says all there is to say about this vapid excuse of a programme.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure