Calling UK mobiles from Mexico - San Crist!bal de las Casas

Hi, I’m thinking of spending a few months in Mexico - San Cristobal De las Casas but my work involves making some calls to mobiles here in the UK. I’m just wondering if this is feasible, how much it might cost and what might be the cheapest way to do it? I haven’t had much success using Skype to make these work calls in the past from abroad. Thanks.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Assuming that you will have a decent WiFi connection one solution might be to use the Viber messaging app, which I find find suitable for such calls.

The paid-for 'Viber Out' function provides calls to any number worldwide at minimal cost, in a similar way to Skype, call quality is usually good and your mobile number that your Viber account is registered to is displayed to the called party.

Of course, if you are called back on that number you will incur the relevant roaming charges.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • You could go full VOIP, and get a UK "landline" number registered to your VOIP account. Numerous ones available, with different varying monthly costs for the UK number (some free).

Or, ease of adoption - Skype (which will also enable you to have an incoming UK number). https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Or, ease of adoption - Skype (which will also enable you to have an incoming UK number). https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/

Eh?
    Did you mis-read the OP where he said
    "I haven’t had much success using Skype to make these work calls in the past from abroad.".
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • mgdavid wrote: »
    Eh?
    Did you mis-read the OP where he said
    "I haven’t had much success using Skype to make these work calls in the past from abroad.".
    Yes and no!
    The OP may not have had much success with SKype in the past - and note that Skype is blocked in certain countries (actually, all VOIP is blocked in certain countries) - but I've had positive results across the world.

Another option would be for the OP to see if their MNO and handset support WiFi calling.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There are all sorts of VoIP options for different needs.

If you will have a good internet connection then it's probably easiest for you to make the call directly using a phone app, software on your PC or a special VoIP phone. Viber, Skype and the various Betamax VoIP services (e.g. the ones listed on http://www.voip-comparison.com) all offer this option, amongst many others.

If your internet connection isn't so good there are services where you either dial a local number which connects you to the recipient (e.g. LocalPhone.com) or where you set up a call-back which first calls you, then calls the recipient (e.g. the Betamax VoIP services). In these cases you are using the local phone network with VoIP being used for the international part. You would need a local phone number for this, but I'm sure you would be getting a Mexican SIM card anyway.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills