Speeding fine administration fee.

Options
I’ve received a speeding fine whilst driving a company vehicle.( hopefully speed awareness course). Fair enough my fault . But I’ve now been told that I have to pay £30 administration fee as that is what the lease company charged my company for passing the details over.( all our vehicles are leased)
I’ve never heard of this charge before and it is not in our contracts. Has anybody ever come across this before . Is this actually legal. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    not a leaser but believe its fairly standard.
    However. You say not in your contract. I assume you mean employee contract?
    Whats the terms for your lease vehicle?
  • Mr_da
    Mr_da Posts: 122 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I mean my employee contract. As far as the terms of the lease vehicle I haven’t got a clue, it’s not something which has ever been discussed with the drivers.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Mr_da wrote: »
    Yes I mean my employee contract. As far as the terms of the lease vehicle I haven’t got a clue, it’s not something which has ever been discussed with the drivers.

For £30 is it worth really rocking the boat for your error?

Why should your employer foot the fee?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Blatchford
    Options
    I’ve received a speeding fine whilst driving a company vehicle.( hopefully speed awareness course). Fair enough my fault . But I’ve now been told that I have to pay £30 administration fee as that is what the lease company charged my company for passing the details over.( all our vehicles are leased)
    I’ve never heard of this charge before and it is not in our contracts. Has anybody ever come across this before . Is this actually legal. Thanks in advance.
    It may not be specifically mentioned in the contract, but does the contract make reference to any right to deductions - because it may be covered in there.

That said I agree that this isn't the issue I'd be risking my job over. You were in the wrong and you know it - you should not have been speeding.
  • Mr_da
    Mr_da Posts: 122 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For £30 is it worth really rocking the boat for your error?

Why should your employer foot the fee?
    The thing is the way I see it is that I’m paying for my error, which is pretty rare (clean licence driving for them for twenty plus years) but am slightly aggrieved that I am paying for a contract that my employer has entered into and not myself . If someone in another department in work makes an error which isn’t rare and costs the company money , they do not get financially penalised.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The thing is the way I see it is that I’m paying for my error, which is pretty rare (clean licence driving for them for twenty plus years) but am slightly aggrieved that I am paying for a contract that my employer has entered into and not myself . If someone in another department in work makes an error which isn’t rare and costs the company money , they do not get financially penalised.

You on the other hand broke the law whilst driving a company vehicle, so your employer could add to your woes by taking disciplinary action !

So I would be careful what you wish for here!
  • Blatchford
    Options
    It wasn't an error though. An error is transposing a couple of numbers, losing a piece of paper in your in tray, forgetting to alter your clock and missing an appointment.... You drive over the speed limit. Not an error, a choice. You are not being penalised. You are being required to pay a cost that your choice has cost someone that isn't you.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options

You by associated accepted the contract the employer signed for by accepting a car from them.

Again for £30 it isn't worth the ill feeling
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Since when was exceeding the speed limit an 'error'? Possibly an error of judgement, but keeping to the speed limit isn't exactly difficult if you are a decent driver - and sounds as if you are, given you've had a clean licence for so long.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I remember many years ago when I got a speeding notification - I also had to pay a £30 fee. All of the company's cars were leased, and I paid the fee.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure