Talk talk availability

Hello.

When I put my postcode and telephone number into the talk talk website to see what services are available it tells me talk talk currently doesn’t have any packages available for me.

When I put just my postcode in and select my address it says I can get fibre broadband but a new telephone line will need to be installed.

Why can’t I just use my existing (Post Office allocated) phone number and line?

Comments

• Post Office is rebranded Talk Talk. You're technically already with TalkTalk.
  • Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Post Office is rebranded Talk Talk. You're technically already with TalkTalk.

Why would that mean I can’t move to talk talk as the company that bills me?
  • You probably can move to "TalkTalk", just not online because the system is technically correct that you are already with TalkTalk, just under the Post Office brand. You may have to do it via phone.

Anyway if you're happy with Post Office and you want to stay with them find the best deal you can and see what they can do to retain you, which would solve the problem (for the next 12/18 months at least).
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 September 2019 at 11:57AM
    Probably the answer is to sign up to the talktalk forums and see if you can get one of the company representatives to look into whats up with your telephone number. Perhaps there is just a correctable database error. They have online chat as well.

Otherwise if you want to investigate it further yourself

you can try and look at
    https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

put in your postcode and see if your telephone exchange is talktalk llu enabled.

Are you on fibre already?

In theory it could be possible for some telephone numbers in a postcode to be eligible for fibre, some to only support adsl and some to be connected to a completely different telephone exchange... So you may need an informed person to get to the bottom of it.

Traditionally people use the bt dsl checker to see what types of broadband they can get but I don't know if it will work if your phone line is talktalk supplied,
    https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
  • Neil_Jones wrote: »
    You probably can move to "TalkTalk", just not online because the system is technically correct that you are already with TalkTalk, just under the Post Office brand. You may have to do it via phone.

Anyway if you're happy with Post Office and you want to stay with them find the best deal you can and see what they can do to retain you, which would solve the problem (for the next 12/18 months at least).

I’ve been permitted to leave post office without penalty because they cocked up and lost my telephone number in the transfer from NowTV Broadband in August. I complained formally and they admitted their failures which is why I’m now looking for a new provider.

I’m already a fibre customer just with a new phone number that post office allocated me.
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi mrochester,

If you already have an existing line, we should be able to take over the service. If you drop us a line using one of the contact methods on our website, via our Online Comminity or on Twitter (@TalkTalk) we can take a look into this for you :)

Thanks,
    Becky - TalkTalk Social Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 September 2019 at 4:19PM
    Hello Becky.

Speaking to Liaje via online chat they have said my phone number has a 'tag' on it and cannot be ported. They advise that 'Post Office refuses to bring the number over.'

I have no idea what this means.

Can you help?

Also, BroadbandChoices website has your 67mb fibre service as £22.45pm for 18 months. When I click through the link the price goes up to £26pm.

How do I get the £22.45pm deal and bring my phone number over?
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Mrochester,

I'm sorry about this. If you contact us using one of the contact methods on our website, via our Online Comminity or on Twitter (@TalkTalk) we can take a look into this for you.

Thanks,
    Jo - TalkTalk Social Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure