Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 20th Jul 19, 3:10 PM
    • 217Posts
    • 747Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Saving for..?
    • 20th Jul 19, 3:10 PM
    Saving for..? 20th Jul 19 at 3:10 PM
    I'm not quite sure yet! But I would like to stop wasting money and be more accountable with it!

A little bit of background context:

I'm 26 and live alone with no family around me. I left an abusive relationship 2 years ago and became homeless. I spent most of my then 8000 savings, some necessary some not. I went on several holidays and outings, bought a nice computer, furnished a property I got and bought myself a whole new wardrobe. Sometimes I feel guilty at the amount of money I spent but a lot of it was a coping mechanism. I am now in a much more stable and happy situation and would like to start being more accountable with my money.

I recently moved, having been placed in the roughest council estate of my town and the anti-social behaviour was really bad. I am nearing the end of my biggest debt so I put it towards renting a nicer property. Not MSE but so much better for my mental health!

I am also in a new relationship. My partner is here on a study visa for the next 1-2 years. After that, who knows? Maybe he'll get a job here, maybe we'll move somewhere else, maybe we won't be together. As such, I have no idea where my life is going to take me in the next few years so I don't want to commit to anything but I also want to be prepared because life has taught me it doesn't always work out the way I plan!

Until then, my goals are to:

1) Stick to budgets and save the rest.
    2) Get a better paying and more stable job.
    3) Only buy what I can afford - no more financing/debt. Save for what I want.
    4) Have fun with my money! I don't want to lambaste myself for having an occasional treat.
    5) Learn to cook more and bake.. at all

I'm going to pop up a SOA in a bit and would love if anyone could point out where I could be saving or maximising my savings. I also sometimes see people my age (and younger) being married, owning homes, having families etc and feel a little bit bad about it so if anyone could tell me that I'm doing fine too that would be a massive help

Thanks for reading (or at least allowing me the bandwidth to post my dull life )
Page 8
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 18th Oct 19, 3:40 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Well that was my last day of work today!
    Went for a nice lunch where they presented me gifts of disaronno, a diary, a mug, a big box of ferrero rocher and a gift card voucher! Really wasn't expecting all of that at all but it was super nice.
    I also got my car serviced and wasn't too bad - got a new windscreen wiper, new registration plate bulb and a brake pipe which I knew needed done so 189.90 in all and everything else seems to be in pretty good working order!
    I also bought train tickets as it will be a nightmare to park for the place I am going to do my training on Monday so 15.75 for those but he said I will be reimbured and then will be the same for Tuesday then afterwards I think I am just working in my home town.
    Then 13.40 spent in Asda on food for this weekend. Didn't even get much and yes whilst Asda is relatively cheap I could get so much from Aldi on that!

So:
    Groceries: 25.59/25
    Petrol: 0/55
    Entertainment: 10.95

I also put 17.48 leftover money from last wage into savings plus the difference between my expenses and my petrol money which was 11.56 just to get something into savings though might need to take back out.

Now to pick up bf. We are having a quiet weekend as he has work to do and we spent a lot last weekend. I believe his friends want to go for a few drinks soon so I at least have a gift voucher I can use for bf and I to get a meal and then alcohol to share for pre-drinks!!

I didn't really feel sad until I left my work today, feels like I'm just going there on Monday but I'm not!! I did really like my colleagues and I just hope my new job have great people too because although it's a lot more money my colleagues really made it worth going to work as I felt so supported not just at work but in my personal life too.
    Emergency Fund: 2265.38/3000
    Deposit Fund: 7084.95
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Oct 19, 5:20 PM
    • 14,220 Posts
    • 47,681 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    What a great send off from your old work friends. It sounds like you made a real impact on them and will be sorely missed! I hope that your new work colleagues will be as nice

Well done in getting your car serviced, shopping, train tickets and also managing to put something into savings.

Have a great time with bf this weekend.
    Christmas Fund 248 No spend month?
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 18th Oct 19, 6:00 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 2,823 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    It was never going to be easy leaving when you saw the thought put into your leaving gifts, however there is always the option of keeping in touch, but only if you are doing it for the right reasons.

I'm glad your service went well, here's to many more years of pottering around in your car!

Some of the big supermarkets are expensive, even with their own brand goods, but it was good for you to see the comparison.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend and wrap up as it's very windy and wet!
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 20th Oct 19, 3:44 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Can't believe the weekend is almost over already! We had a quiet one eating rubbish which did bump up my weekly groceries again. I do need to up my weekly groceries to 30 I think to take weekends with BF into account but not yet, next weekends he's doing some work for the Uni which he does get paid for and he has lots of work to do. So not sure what I'm doing next weekend, will probably have a quiet one if that's ok with my neighbours

BF is home now and I'm doing laundry and catching up with my soaps. I'm really nervous for tomorrow but I'll soon be in the thick of it all and I know that extra money is going to help

Groceries: 30.59/25
    Petrol: 15.01/55
    Entertainment: 10.95
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Oct 19, 8:54 PM
    • 14,220 Posts
    • 47,681 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad you had a good time with BF at weekend. Good luck for tomorrow. Stay positive you deserve this.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Oct 19, 8:57 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 19,374 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Good luck in your new job tomorrow. Don't be nervous you will be fine. Go in with confidence that they hired you for a reason above all the others and be yourself I'm sure you will soon settle in with your new work colleagues.
    Balance 0% credit card 1360 648
    0% Car Loan 7500 balance to pay 1/10/19 160 1/11/19 160 1/12/19 160 finishes 1/1/2020 140.
    Emergency fund 100
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 21st Oct 19, 7:31 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Thanks guys

First day went pretty well - I had to get a train up and looks like I will be there all this week @ 15 a day train fare... he was supposed to reimburse me today but I got busy so hopefully he does tomorrow. Had to pick up lunch and little bits and bobs but at least I know there is a fridge and cooking appliances I can use for leftovers for the rest of this week. Everyone was super nice and friendly, thank god and I'm so grateful for the friends I've made in previous jobs being so supportive and checking in on me

Groceries: 12.47/25
    Petrol:15.01/55
    Entertainment: 10.95/60

Nothing exciting happening this week which is probably for the best as I'm gonna be super skint this wage. Just spend it curled up in bed, pretty sure I deserve it after this week with all the new changes so my neighbours can suck it
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Oct 19, 6:31 PM
    • 14,220 Posts
    • 47,681 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad the training is going well and that work friends have been in touch. I hope you get your money refunded tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,475Posts Today

7,529Users online

Martin's Twitter