BT Broadband - moving house - using cooling off period to leave contract?

Options
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am moving house and will be moving in with a friend. Friend currently has no internet or phone, whereas I have 9 months left on my contract with BT due to renewing in January for 18 months. (At the time I planned to move into a new place of my own, but circumstances changed!)

BT have said the standard - they can't move the account to a new person because the contract is with me, and it's around £180 to cancel just now.

My friend is quite keen to keep all the bills in the house in her name, but has agreed that it makes sense for me to transfer my account over there until the contract runs out.

I have just arranged this with BT but was told they 'had to' set it up as a new 12 month contract, which is annoying as I had hoped my friend could take over the line as soon as my contract with up, so this extends it albiet only slightly.

They told me as it was a new contract, I will have a 14 day cooling off period from the day the service starts. Could I just cancel the contract in this 14 day period and walkaway with no fee to pay? (Except for paying for what we'd used already of course). Has anyone done this?

thanks!
E

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, canceling the new contract would re-instate the old.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    No, canceling the new contract would re-instate the old.

I don't think this advice makes sense.

BT don't have the right to reinstate the old contract after they have cancelled it.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One is conditional on the other . New contract was allowed to avoid break penalty on old .
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Take the service with you and a new contract starts is normal.
  • eliiiin
    Options
    Thanks everyone this makes sense! I thought I had found a loophole but obviously not! Cheers
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Take the service with you and a new contract starts is normal.

For clarity (and other lurkers) this doesn't apply to all suppliers (probably the majority though). Sky & NowTV for instance don't insist on a new contract on a housemove.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure