Gumtree ?

I have been asked to post an item I'm selling on Gumtree, (a vintage bike frame worth £20, ) I have PayPal , is this secure or can it be scammed ?

I think I read somewhere that the payment could be cancelled by the payer after the item was received ?

:beer:

Comments

• Gumtree is designed for face to face (cash) payments.

If you don't mind posting the item and packing so well that it cannot be damaged, or you don't mind a false claim of damage/not as described and don't fear the payment being reversed for 180 days (6 months) then go for it.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have been asked to post an item I'm selling on Gumtree, (a vintage bike frame worth £20, ) I have PayPal , is this secure or can it be scammed ?

I think I read somewhere that the payment could be cancelled by the payer after the item was received ?

:beer:

Have a read of this thread

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3146680

The PayPal requirements are the same whether you sell on eBay or elsewhere
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I would highly recommend pursuing the PayPal option unless you agreed that cash would be fine. It's a much safer transaction with protection.
  • I would highly recommend pursuing the PayPal option unless you agreed that cash would be fine. It's a much safer transaction with protection.

Perhaps you misunderstood the question in the OP.

Paypal is the worst case situation for a Gumtree seller.

Edit - actually 10 posts in less than an hour - seems like a spam post counter to me.
  • Gumtree is designed for face to face (cash) payments.

If you don't mind posting the item and packing so well that it cannot be damaged, or you don't mind a false claim of damage/not as described and don't fear the payment being reversed for 180 days (6 months) then go for it.

That's what I'd heard about the payments being reversed, thanks for confirming it.

How about bank transfer ?
  • How about bank transfer ?

Cash.Cash Cash Cash
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills