Winter travel insurance for staycation

cerion76
cerion76 Posts: 7 Forumite
We are going on holiday in a British resort over Christmas. We are not doing any winter sports or anything but I want to get travel insurance in the unlikely event that the resort closes down because of snow over Christmas week. Does anyone know if any travel insurance would cover this? Unfortunately I paid by debit card ages ago so can't do the credit card thing if things go wrong. Most articles online talk about airports but we'll be driving.

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,779 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 7 October 2019 at 11:20AM
    Never used them myself, so no personal recommendation, but I've previously found and bookmarked this site whch might provide what you're looking for.

https://www.cancellationplan.co.uk/

I'd perhaps phone them to ask just what cover they provide / what evidence they need for bad weather cover as I suspect for any such insurance you'd need to show that there was some sort of police/met office warning not to travel in place rather than just be disinclined to travel because the weather's not to your liking.

I'm not sure what you mean by ' the resort closes down because of snow' but if you are staying in somewhere like e.g Centre parcs then surely they would refund you if they were unable to offer the holiday because they decided to close (unless of course they went bust) ? Check the terms of your booking for the resort.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    "Staycation" !!!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    I think most travel insurance will give the option for uk holidays- Saga does.

You would need to read the policy document to ensure you have the cover you need or alternatively, phone some companies and ask.
  • z1a wrote: »
    "Staycation" !!!

Horrible word isn't it.
  • It does describe what it is though, succinctly in one word. I quite like the evolution of words - as long as they have a purpose! :)

Thanks for the replies guys.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    All european travel insurance I've had cover UK holidays when booking 2 or 3 nights or more.

Go to a comparison site to find the cheaper options and see what it covers.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    cerion76 wrote: »
    It does describe what it is though, succinctly in one word. I quite like the evolution of words - as long as they have a purpose! :)

No, you're still going on a vacation.
  • z1a wrote: »
    No, you're still going on a vacation.

You mean a holiday :smiley:
  • cerion76 wrote: »
    It does describe what it is though, succinctly in one word. I quite like the evolution of words - as long as they have a purpose! :)

My understanding of the word "staycation" is staying at home and taking day trips from your "home hotel". If it includes UK breaks, I've only had 2 holidays in the last 15 years!
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • I wasn't expecting this to turn into a discussion about a word but hey ho. Definition:

Definition of 'staycation'
    Learner: staycation English: staycation
    staycation
    (steɪkeɪʃən) also stacation

Word forms: staycations
    countable noun
    A staycation is a holiday that you spend in your own home or your own country, relaxing and enjoying leisure activities there.

Source: collinsdictionary.com/amp/english/staycation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport