Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd May 11, 8:41 PM
    • 8,975Posts
    • 46,279Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Daffy's 'patchwork dreams' diary
    • 22nd May 11, 8:41 PM
    Daffy's 'patchwork dreams' diary 22nd May 11 at 8:41 PM
    Pour yourself a cuppa and pull up a chair, I can't half talk when I get going!

After nearly a year rambling on, I've decided it's high time to start a sparkly brand new diary to step up to a whole load of new adventures

A little bit about myself briefly (there's more at the start of the old thread)... I'm 31, live with Mr Daffs (Rock Star Boyfriend), and work full time - 2 days of which involve a 4 hour round commute, and the other 3 days involve walking upstairs to the attic

I've spent most of my life *not* working full time, and I intend to get straight back to *not* working full time in one job as soon as this contract's over I absolutely adore my job, but I like to do lots of other things too - what I want is a beautifully varied Patchwork Life

So... in order to do that, I need a money-related plan (so I don't become reliant on full time work), and a cheery skills-and-cheery-things plan

I don't have any debt any more (hooray! ), but I also don't have much in the way of savings either

So - here's the overall plan:

* £10,000 in patchwork living fund by December 2012
    * decent emergency fund just in case
    * plenty of little weekends away
    * enough to pay annual bills without scrabbling around

And here's how I'm going to do it:

* £400 a month into patchwork fund
    * any spare/extra cash into patchwork fund
    * £100 a month to emergency fund
    * detailed budget and PAYING MYSELF FIRST

I also have lots of none money plans... but I shall write another post with those in...

Hold onto your hats ladies and gentlemen, it's going to be a right rolicking ride!
Page 5
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 28th May 11, 11:21 AM
    • 8,975 Posts
    • 46,279 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    It took me over 2 hours lotti and I haven't even finished it yet!
    • hanb
    • By hanb 28th May 11, 12:07 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    hanb
    Have a lovely time Cheery! Enjoy the cake

I'm off to a babyshower. I hate kids!
    • lotti379
    • By lotti379 28th May 11, 12:16 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    lotti379
    Well that makes me feel slightly better! But doesn't change the fact it is 12.15pm and I have only just written my list! Still, onwaaaards! (Have I had too much coffee this morning? Very possibly... )
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 29th May 11, 4:02 PM
    • 8,975 Posts
    • 46,279 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Hmmmm.

You may have noticed that I'm home and it's not Monday yet.

Hmm.

That's all I'll say for now, until I've had a cuppa at any rate..
    • lotti379
    • By lotti379 29th May 11, 4:05 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    lotti379
    What went wrong? :S
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

• MrsMoo2U
    Oh dear, hope that it doesnt need to be a very strong cuppa and that your return home is not for disastrous reasons.
    Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 29th May 11, 4:31 PM
    • 8,975 Posts
    • 46,279 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    It's not disastrous today Cheri!

Let's see - what went wrong??

Campsite itself was perfectly cheery, especially the pudding shop

Large numbers of children playing ball games and hitting the car (which we were snoozing in) - even once they'd realised we were in there and been told off by several parents.

Bad pop music and raucous laughter late into the night (campsite woman doesn't live on site - and said this morning she'd had a word with them after several complaints and they 'didn't realise' they were making a noise...)

There appeared to be an adults only, £5 a night campsite next door with vacancies...

Rain and freezing wind, and a bike with broken gears, making it nigh on impossible to cycle up any incline at all.

I'm pretty easy going about such things on the whole - but there were two of us, and we're not both like that...

So, overall, it was the best decision to come home...

On the plus side though.... had a bit of a cycle down to the lake this morning and fed some sparrows Bumped into someone Mr Dafs knows from years ago in Wirksworth last night, and she pointed us to an extremely cheery italian restaurant that we had a very tasty tea in Had a good old chat about some stuff Brought home a nice cake for work on Tuesday. Had a picnic in Matlock Bath this morning.

And we wouldn't have splashed out on a restaurant meal tonight, so it would have been bread and cheese - instead we're going to have a tasty sage and mushroom risotto candlelit dinner back here in the warm without the screaming children and bad music

And we've got tomorrow to potter round here too Just need to not fritter it all away on the internet!

(Sun's shining now too )
  • MrsMoo2U
    Not all bad then Daffs? That is a problem with campsites during the school holidays. I always prefer to go out of season as I see my holidays as time to relax. Shame that you had to come home but I am guessing that a nice candlelit meal will be just as special as a nice italian restaurant and even better than bread and cheese
    Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
  • Triciaxx
    That's why we came home on Friday - though to be fair there are few kids on the sites we use - but still!!

Risotto by candlelight sounds good.
    But how can you know what you want till you get what you want and you see if you like it?
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 29th May 11, 5:47 PM
    • 8,975 Posts
    • 46,279 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    No, not all bad (although last night I admit I thought it would be! )

Appreciating being at home though - going to have a nice soak in the bath in a bit while the risotto cooks
  • vl2588
    Sorry to hear the campsite didn't work out but you certainly know how to make the best of things
    Mortgage wanabee fund:
    £
    /£15,000 107%

Whoop whoop!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 30th May 11, 9:27 AM
    • 8,975 Posts
    • 46,279 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks VL

Sooo glad I came home - it's p*ssing down out there now

So, on the cards for today is a home-and-garden-and-cheery day. I'm going to be turning the computer OFF because I know how it can suck hours out of a day like this! Here's a vague plan...

* out for breakfast spending the last of the holiday treats money (cos it's there to be spent, right??)
    * clear out living room cupboard and drawers
    * stuff to tip
    * clean washing machine drawer and filter
    * bit of attic sorting
    * fix foldy bikes (maybe...)
    * Fat Club at 5pm - was doing alright until the last couple of days, so we'll see
    * out for tea at friends' house

Sounds like a cheery day I reckon!

Have a good one all x
    • lotti379
    • By lotti379 30th May 11, 1:10 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    lotti379
    Sounds like a lovely home-and-garden day, I am envious! And of the going out for breakfast... I find something about going out for breakfast is just so holiday-ish, it always makes me cheerful for the rest of the day!

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 30th May 11, 3:07 PM
    • 8,975 Posts
    • 46,279 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    It was GREAT actually lotti Absolutely MARVELLOUS little cafe, utterly divine, absolutey loved it

Busy busy though, just popping in while stuffing in lunch. Have decluttered an entire cupboard today! Quite shocking for me And sorted a HUGE box of old letters into piles, and thrown stuff away, and they now fit into a shoe box Also got rid of old pay slips (from 2001 - don't go telling me I need them now because I'm NOT LISTENING), old phone bills, old St John's Ambulance certificates...

About to do a run to the tip with a flat screen tv Mr Daffs picked up from another tip the other week hoping to make it work - he couldn't, and now it's in bits, and needs to go back to the tip again Worth a try though So it appears I am moving through the list, albeit rather slowly
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 30th May 11, 5:42 PM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 18,056 Thanks
    chevalier
    why no offer the tv on freecycle?
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 30th May 11, 10:55 PM
    • 8,975 Posts
    • 46,279 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Too late now Chev sadly - didn't occur to me since it was in about 47 different pieces and didn't work even when it was put together - we did, after all, pull it out of the tip in the first place... Do you think someone would have taken it??

Did everything on the list other than fix the foldy bikes, so that's bus in the morning to work (only 50p to the station, so not too bad!). Had a lovely dinner Lost 1.5lbs at Fat Club, not brilliant in my first week, but given that I've eaten far more scones/alcohol/cakes etc than is wise this weekend, it's not too bad

All packed and ready for work tomorrow <yawn> just need to go to bed!
    • lotti379
    • By lotti379 31st May 11, 11:41 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    lotti379
    1.5lbs in a week is not to be sniffed at! Especially if you haven't been sticking to it totally rigidly! Have you tried Food Focus? It's a free online food diary/calculator thing. It is a bit of a faff for home-cooked meals but it's alright for a guide once things are put in as a 'meal/recipe'... I'm trying to lose a smidgen of squidge, and I find it useful to know where my calorie traps are... Also having it written in front of me shows me how little healthy stuff I eat sometimes!

• vl2588
    A smidgen of squidge! Such an eloquent way of putting it
    Mortgage wanabee fund:
    £
    /£15,000 107%

Whoop whoop!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 31st May 11, 9:59 PM
    • 8,975 Posts
    • 46,279 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    A smidgen of squidge love it

Thanks lotti I'm writing everything down on paper at the min - need reasons to get away from the computer not onto it more!

Was going to do a big long post with my May and June goals in, but not long been in and I'm up early again in the morning, and absolutely worn out! Wasn't really hungry having stuffed in some weetabix before booze club, but just scoffed a couple of boiled eggs and couple of quorn sausages, and once I started eating realised how hungry I was! Not any more though

Time for bed soon I reckon...
    • ThatKiss
    • By ThatKiss 1st Jun 11, 12:36 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    ThatKiss
    given that I've eaten far more scones/alcohol/cakes etc than is wise this weekend, it's not too bad
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    You EAT alcohol? Ace!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,828Users online

Martin's Twitter