Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd May 11, 8:41 PM
    • 8,960Posts
    • 46,206Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Daffy's 'patchwork dreams' diary
    • 22nd May 11, 8:41 PM
    Daffy's 'patchwork dreams' diary 22nd May 11 at 8:41 PM
    Pour yourself a cuppa and pull up a chair, I can't half talk when I get going!

After nearly a year rambling on, I've decided it's high time to start a sparkly brand new diary to step up to a whole load of new adventures

A little bit about myself briefly (there's more at the start of the old thread)... I'm 31, live with Mr Daffs (Rock Star Boyfriend), and work full time - 2 days of which involve a 4 hour round commute, and the other 3 days involve walking upstairs to the attic

I've spent most of my life *not* working full time, and I intend to get straight back to *not* working full time in one job as soon as this contract's over I absolutely adore my job, but I like to do lots of other things too - what I want is a beautifully varied Patchwork Life

So... in order to do that, I need a money-related plan (so I don't become reliant on full time work), and a cheery skills-and-cheery-things plan

I don't have any debt any more (hooray! ), but I also don't have much in the way of savings either

So - here's the overall plan:

* £10,000 in patchwork living fund by December 2012
    * decent emergency fund just in case
    * plenty of little weekends away
    * enough to pay annual bills without scrabbling around

And here's how I'm going to do it:

* £400 a month into patchwork fund
    * any spare/extra cash into patchwork fund
    * £100 a month to emergency fund
    * detailed budget and PAYING MYSELF FIRST

I also have lots of none money plans... but I shall write another post with those in...

Hold onto your hats ladies and gentlemen, it's going to be a right rolicking ride!
Page 4
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 25th May 11, 10:25 PM
    • 6,031 Posts
    • 20,988 Thanks
    missymoo81
    oooh crikey daffy you are good! I would just say bu$$er it and go and lay on the sofa with my blankie, I have nooo will power! well done for getting everything done!!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 25th May 11, 10:53 PM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 46,206 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Nope, not good Missy, am in fact going to do exactly as you suggest Taken me ages to sort silly parcel out and do last bits oflunch-making etc, and now I'm utterly worn out Will cycle to work tomorrow though
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th May 11, 4:29 PM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 46,206 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Gosh today's lasting a long time! Feel all heavy and full of lead - think I'm just tired as not had 8 hours for the last cople of nights Still, only another half an hour or so to go <yawn>

I've been utterly disorganised for our no quibble weekend this weekend, and now we have nowhere to stay! Been putting it off and not deciding where to go, then decided but can't find a cheap cheery campsite (with space free - it being a bank holiday, obviously) Looks like we'll either be sleeping on the side of the road (in the car, of course), or staying at home, pah! Any suggestions?! (rather annoyingly, a friend said we could have had the keys to her house, but she's already gone to China with them! Pah!)

Want to go somewhere (anywhere!) within about 1.5 hours drive of Sheffield where we can do a spot of cycling
    • hanb
    • By hanb 26th May 11, 4:42 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    hanb
    Phew, I thought it was just me, today has felt soooooo long! It doesn't help that it's felt like Friday since Tuesday!

I don't know Sheffield way very well at all!!

But I have just booked my hotel for a work trip in Liverpool, I'm staying in the Hard Days Night hotel, I'm rather excited!!
  • MrsMoo2U
    How far away is Buxton? I seem to remember having a nice time when we had a caravan here http://www.ukcampsitesearch.co.uk/central-england/derbyshire/lime-tree-park-campsite-buxton.php if that is any use.
    Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
    • MatyMoo
    • By MatyMoo 26th May 11, 8:33 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 13,683 Thanks
    MatyMoo
    Is York too far? Or maybe Thirsk? Lincoln is a lovely city too.
    Proud Member of Mike's Mob
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 26th May 11, 9:39 PM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 52,107 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Cherisong - I'm glad you mentioned Buxton, because I had this in mind to suggest to Cheery. I have no idea if they have vacancies, but the Tissington Trail (Cheery, you did mention cycling didn't you?) is at the bottom of the campsite apparently. Somewhat unhelpfully I have never been to this campsite, but it appears to have good reviews on the UK campite page here. And it is somewhere we're considering staying at later in the summer (but not finalised yet). Erm, I suppose I need to add that we've absolutely no connection with this business/campsite/website/Derbyshire, so I think it is ok to post these links??? (assuming that they work!)

Greying
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 27th May 11, 7:15 AM
    • 6,031 Posts
    • 20,988 Thanks
    missymoo81
    morning cheery, I hope your day hurried up for you. Hmmm sounds like there are a few good ideas for the weekend hun, sorry I can't be much help, have only ever been to sheffield once! I'm sure you will have a great time whatever you decide to do

Hope you have a good day.

Missy
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 27th May 11, 9:58 AM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 46,206 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Is York too far? Or maybe Thirsk? Lincoln is a lovely city too.
    Originally posted by MatyMoo
    Sorry, had to laugh, I WORK in York and have been here 3 times already this week (actually, that was the not-so-original plan, but struggling to find somewhere to stay!)

Will investigate all your lovely options, thanks! Buxton is just up the road Think we'll struggle to find camping on bank holiday in the peak district, but it's close enough to just pop over for the day
    • MatyMoo
    • By MatyMoo 27th May 11, 5:33 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 13,683 Thanks
    MatyMoo
    Ooops! Teach me to pay attention, I am sure you have mentioned where you work before
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 27th May 11, 7:45 PM
    • 6,031 Posts
    • 20,988 Thanks
    missymoo81
    So Daffs, come up with any thoughts for your no quibble weekend yet?
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 27th May 11, 9:28 PM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 46,206 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Yep, it's all booked - we're going to a campsite with integral cake shop £9 a night, and only 30 miles away from home All good stuff!

Just went out to a friend's gig, and the darn thing is sold out! Good on them - bit of a wasted trip for me though - should have got my act together earlier! Ah well, have put diesel in the car, pumped up the tyres, and got fruit and stuff for the trip, and going to get a nice early night instead
    • MatyMoo
    • By MatyMoo 27th May 11, 9:48 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 13,683 Thanks
    MatyMoo
    Only you could find a campsite with an integral cake shop

I hope it is not £9 a night for camping and £15 a day for cake

Enjoy
  • MrsMoo2U
    Only you could find a campsite with an integral cake shop

I hope it is not £9 a night for camping and £15 a day for cake

Enjoy
    Originally posted by MatyMoo

Oh dear me, perhaps this diary should be Daffy's nice cup of tea and slice of cake diary
    Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 28th May 11, 8:50 AM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 46,206 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Only I could book a campsite with integral cake shop the week I start slimming world again!

So, the plan for this morning.... Was going to have a shower, but felt proper dizzy when I got up, so had breakfast instead Just going to drink tea and have a pootle round the newspaper, then...

* shower and dressed (into scruffs)
    * tidy bathroom - washing away, empty bin, quick swish and swipe
    * tidy kitchen - table cleared, washing up done, shopping away, floor swept, bin emptied, quick hunt round AGAIN to see if I can find what smells (there's a non-descript fusty smell every time you come in the front door I hate it but can't find out what it is! Think the washing machine may have leaked at some point in the past, but can't pull it out to see, pah! Will try again)
    * into living room - water plants, put soap in box, plant sunflower in garden, sweep floor
    * fix tyres on both foldy bikes <yawn>
    * sort out car (or get Mr Daffs to do this if he's up by then!) - take seat out, put extra bedding in, make bed all cheery
    * pack picnic - fruit, pop, water, flask of tea etc
    * pack! - get changed into holiday clothes, find stove, sort out camera, directions etc

Then it may well be time to leave!
  • MrsMoo2U
    Have a lovely time.
  • vl2588
    Very cheery colourful list
    Mortgage wanabee fund:
    £
    /£15,000 107%

Whoop whoop!
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 28th May 11, 10:55 AM
    • 5,954 Posts
    • 33,124 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Have a great time, Cheery! Hope the weather is nice for you. x
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 28th May 11, 11:07 AM
    • 8,960 Posts
    • 46,206 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Getting there! Slowly - I absolutely did NOT want to rush this morning

* shower and dressed (into scruffs)
    * tidy bathroom - washing away, empty bin, quick swish and swipe
    * tidy kitchen - table cleared, washing up done, shopping away, floor swept, bin emptied, quick hunt round AGAIN to see if I can find what smells (there's a non-descript fusty smell every time you come in the front door I hate it but can't find out what it is! Think the washing machine may have leaked at some point in the past, but can't pull it out to see, pah! Will try again)
    *[COLOR="DarkRed"] into living room - water plants, put soap in box, plant sunflower in garden, sweep floor[/COLOR]
    * fix tyres on both foldy bikes <yawn> Have actually just pumped up tyres on proper-sized bikes and we're taking those instead - can lock up at campsite
    * sort out car (or get Mr Daffs to do this if he's up by then!) - take seat out, put extra bedding in, make bed all cheery
    * pack picnic - fruit, pop, water, flask of tea etc
    * pack! - get changed into holiday clothes, find stove, sort out camera, directions etc

Just got to get the bikes and food in the car, have a quick whizz round the kitchen, pack my stuff (won't take long), then we might just be ready!
    • lotti379
    • By lotti379 28th May 11, 11:15 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 6,181 Thanks
    lotti379
    Have a lovely time!

And crikey, if only I could get through a to-do list so fast!
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,751Posts Today

8,634Users online

Martin's Twitter