Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd May 11, 8:41 PM
    • 8,967Posts
    • 46,242Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Daffy's 'patchwork dreams' diary
    • 22nd May 11, 8:41 PM
    Daffy's 'patchwork dreams' diary 22nd May 11 at 8:41 PM
    Pour yourself a cuppa and pull up a chair, I can't half talk when I get going!

After nearly a year rambling on, I've decided it's high time to start a sparkly brand new diary to step up to a whole load of new adventures

A little bit about myself briefly (there's more at the start of the old thread)... I'm 31, live with Mr Daffs (Rock Star Boyfriend), and work full time - 2 days of which involve a 4 hour round commute, and the other 3 days involve walking upstairs to the attic

I've spent most of my life *not* working full time, and I intend to get straight back to *not* working full time in one job as soon as this contract's over I absolutely adore my job, but I like to do lots of other things too - what I want is a beautifully varied Patchwork Life

So... in order to do that, I need a money-related plan (so I don't become reliant on full time work), and a cheery skills-and-cheery-things plan

I don't have any debt any more (hooray! ), but I also don't have much in the way of savings either

So - here's the overall plan:

* 10,000 in patchwork living fund by December 2012
    * decent emergency fund just in case
    * plenty of little weekends away
    * enough to pay annual bills without scrabbling around

And here's how I'm going to do it:

* 400 a month into patchwork fund
    * any spare/extra cash into patchwork fund
    * 100 a month to emergency fund
    * detailed budget and PAYING MYSELF FIRST

I also have lots of none money plans... but I shall write another post with those in...

Hold onto your hats ladies and gentlemen, it's going to be a right rolicking ride!
Page 1
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd May 11, 8:49 PM
    • 8,967 Posts
    • 46,242 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    • 22nd May 11, 8:49 PM
    • 22nd May 11, 8:49 PM
    Sooooooo, now for the other plans

(I should point out that I do MUCH better at things when I follow instructions and have other people to encourage me, or somewhere to go each week etc, so lots of this is based around that!)

In no particular order.....

* our house is gorgeous, but it is also full of TOO MUCH STUFF, and I must confess to not thinking housework is awfully interesting.. Flylady has worked for me in the past, and so she shall be turned to again. My sink has been shined, and I am eagerly awaiting the next instructions

* the garden is currently mid-project and resembles a building site. Lots of plans - but since none of them involve spending much money, they all tend to happen pretty slowly...

* I am getting rather podgy and slovenly I gave up Slimming World for very good reason a while back, but I have to admit it works, so tail between my legs, I am going back I am also entering a triathlon in the autumn - it's worked before scaring me into doing plenty of exercise, so it shall work again (this will also involve learning to swim again...)

* I'm a great believer in doing daft things just for the sake of it now and again And so my end-of-PhD present to myself was trapeze lessons I've been putting these off...

* I've been getting rather-tooooooo-used to a full time wage of late... this is NOT part of the long term plan, so spending diaries will be turned to once again, and matters brought firmly in hand!

* I generally have a goals list for each month, and also 3 months and 6 months. That's been working well for a couple of years now, so I will post those at the start of each month, and let you know how I've done at the end

I reckon that's enough self-improvement intentions for now, don't you???
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 22nd May 11, 8:56 PM
    • 5,954 Posts
    • 33,124 Thanks
    InaPickle
    • 22nd May 11, 8:56 PM
    • 22nd May 11, 8:56 PM
    *Brings in glass of Coke and some chocolate digestives*

I like the sound of that, Cheery - particularly the not-having-a-full-time-job aspect. I may need to take a leaf from your book. Or a page, rather!

Right, I'm loving all this, but I have no right to be here: I have tons of homework due for Wednesday, and I've done nothing since coming home from work at 6 pm.

I'm going downstairs for another glass of Coke and then I will be working at 9. I have to report back to you here on our new thread to let you know how much I got done tonight. Get your stern face on, Cheery!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• hanb
    • By hanb 22nd May 11, 8:57 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    hanb
    • 22nd May 11, 8:57 PM
    • 22nd May 11, 8:57 PM
    Ohhh I'm not caught up on the other thread yet! (although I have kept an eye on your blog )

I'm off to get a giant mug of tea and finish catching up on the old thread so I'm ready for this one!

Good luck with all your plans, I really need to get my a$$ in to gear and make my own! I have learned my lesson in not buying wokout dvd's that a) are recommended on here and b) have shred in the title!!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd May 11, 9:04 PM
    • 8,967 Posts
    • 46,242 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    • 22nd May 11, 9:04 PM
    • 22nd May 11, 9:04 PM
    Hanb, ignore the other thread, it's just waffling on anyway, why not just start afresh on this one! And get that Shred out! I shall be doing the same thing

15 minutes at a time Pickle! But don't go checking in here every 15 minutes

I've been and checked the Slimming World website - I won't be able to make the same group every week because of work, but there's 2 groups both Mondays and Wednesdays within walking distance, and I always work at home at least one of those days (and they're both run by the same person) so I really don't have any excuse.

And of course, Monday is tomorrow... So no chance of talking myself out of it by Wednesday then Will report back...
    • Souk08
    • By Souk08 22nd May 11, 9:06 PM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 18,070 Thanks
    Souk08
    • 22nd May 11, 9:06 PM
    • 22nd May 11, 9:06 PM
    Woo! Enjoy Cheery XXX
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd May 11, 9:13 PM
    • 8,967 Posts
    • 46,242 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    • 22nd May 11, 9:13 PM
    • 22nd May 11, 9:13 PM
    Thanks Souk

You've reminded me that I'm also on a mission to only wear glamourous and beautiful and non-holey underwear ALL THE TIME! No excuses!

I SHALL be elegant and fabulous, I shall!
    • hanb
    • By hanb 22nd May 11, 9:15 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    hanb
    • 22nd May 11, 9:15 PM
    • 22nd May 11, 9:15 PM
    I'll feel like I'm cheating if I don't catch up

Has anything exciting and/or significant happened in the last 4 months I should be aware of? If it's you working far too much, drinking lots of tea and the odd cake then may get away with it..

Mmm tea!
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 22nd May 11, 9:21 PM
    • 15,962 Posts
    • 55,653 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    • 22nd May 11, 9:21 PM
    • 22nd May 11, 9:21 PM
    I love the idea of your Patchwork fund that is excellent idea, I am aiming in a semi serious way for 5,000 by the end of the year......will be reading with interest
    xx
    Debt Free as of 26/07/19 (third time is the charm!) Now paying myself back all my savings! Target 1= 5226/5000 (across all accounts) Avoiding the CC! (achieved until Christmas)
  • The Dragon
    Happy patchworking
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - 39.43
    Every Penny's a Prisoner
    • Souk08
    • By Souk08 22nd May 11, 9:27 PM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 18,070 Thanks
    Souk08
    Cheery my mantra is 'If in doubt throw it out' on that one!
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd May 11, 9:30 PM
    • 8,967 Posts
    • 46,242 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, more people, how exciting!

Hanb, goodness me woman! Go and do something more interesting than catching up with my last 4 months! Short version - finished the PhD and became Dr Cheery and am now working full time That's about it on the important stuff front

Just inspected the bank account... and transfered 23 of expenses to Patchwork Fund

Ooh, a mini explanation - as I said, I didn't want to get so used to a full time wage that I'd never be able to live without one again - so I'm aiming to save a decent portion of my income this year. The 'total savings' in my signature includes the Patchwork Fund (whch I'm also ekeping track of separately because it's fun ), the emergency fund, the holiday fund, and 1000 that I already saved to turn the house into a palace

I won't actually *have* 8150 at the end of the year, because I will inevitably have spent some of the holiday fund at least, and the palace fund - but as long as I've spent it on what I intended it for, then it stays in the total Not spending ANY of the patchwork fund

Ooh - and am going to grit my teeth tomorrow and splash out and pay for 12 weeks of Slimming World upfront - expensive, but I'll get 2 weeks free, and means I won't have an excuse to duck out
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd May 11, 9:31 PM
    • 8,967 Posts
    • 46,242 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Good plan Souk! I am aiming for that with the contents of the entire house, not just the underwear draw!

Good luck Buffy!
  • MrsMoo2U
    Happy new diary. Just one observation though....... I thought we were both having a chill out night with rockstar boyfriend and Mr C respectively???? I sneak a peak and a whole new diary is running away with me. I don't know! when me backs turned you all get busy
    Seriously though - love the idea of a new thread and those goals are rather fabulous.

I'll feel like I'm cheating if I don't catch up

Has anything exciting and/or significant happened in the last 4 months I should be aware of? If it's you working far too much, drinking lots of tea and the odd cake then may get away with it..

Mmm tea!
    Originally posted by hanb
    ERM Cheery.............. think you better add that prefix to your name for people who have been absent and have no time to catch up.
    Some days there aren't any trumpets, just lots of dragons. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow -- Mary Anne Radmacher
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd May 11, 9:45 PM
    • 8,967 Posts
    • 46,242 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I know cheri but he got all sidetracked doing something else, and I got all motivated into committing to pulling my finger out! Will stop now, promise (and what's your excuse?? )

No idea how to change name, not sure I want to be defined by it in general by everyone so may well just leave it for now!

Night night, tomorrow's going to be a busy one!
  • The Dragon
    did I hear being mentioned? if so can I pass over some dark chocolate Tunnock caramel wafers (diet kicks off again tomorrow )
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - 39.43
    Every Penny's a Prisoner
  • The Dragon
    Put the change of name in large, friendly letters in your sig line
    Every Penny's a Prisoner
  • Triciaxx
    Ooh! shiny new thread that could lead anywhere exciting. What fun!!!
    But how can you know what you want till you get what you want and you see if you like it?
    • NorthernLas
    • By NorthernLas 22nd May 11, 10:39 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 3,150 Thanks
    NorthernLas
    Why not be MSE and start training for the trialtholon instead of SW? (No problem if SW will help, but I'm sure that Mr C could pretend to weigh you each week on a Wed and Tut or Cheer as appropriate)
    • makeup
    • By makeup 22nd May 11, 11:09 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 4,862 Thanks
    makeup
    Well done on achieving so much during the life of your old diary!

I find you really inspirational as you do so much but spend so little. It makes me laugh when you berate yourself for spending 4 on something for yourself when I would be pleased that I had only spent 4 rather than the usual 20 or 30. Good for you for not being reliant on full time work. I'd love the option but I really cant' see it happening unless I manage to get a truly amazing part time job which probably doesn't exist!!!

And actually I don't mind my job and find it challenging and stretching but can totally empathise with your patchwork aims!

My friend was telling me today I should take a sabbatical and go travelling.....one of my future future goals!

Anyway back to 2011 and one of my goals for this year is to handmake all gifts. I've done ok so far (Easter was giant creme eggs for my sister and b-i-l, went down very well and knitted eggs and egg cosies and chicks for my nieces).

But I'm really struggling for Fathers day, the obvious is something to eat but my Dad is trying not to eat so much 'bad' stuff these days and is really cutting down and I don't want to scupper him too much.

So I need a homemade gift that isn't food for a Dad???? Any ideas???

I'm really struggling and the only thing I've come up with is etching something onto a beer glass like this beer glass and I've found this lovely coaster how-to but I'm worried about the way she specifies where to get your pictures copied......

Any thoughts anyone???
    I've got my own flat

Now I have to pay the bills

And feed my interiors addiction
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,445Posts Today

8,732Users online

Martin's Twitter