Options
2»

Comments

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    edited 6 October 2019 at 1:58PM
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    As I read it the contract was cancelled according to the OP (on the 24th August), Vodafone still took the first direct debit payment which is what the OP wants back.

That's assuming Mobiles.co notified Vodafone. Since the contract was taken out through them and they were the ones the OP asked to cancel it I would expect it is Mobiles who have broken the t&c of their contract. The OP neither bought the contract nor cancelled it with Vodafone direct, but with Mobiles.co.

Having found both organisations to be generally appalling but with Vodafone the worse of the two I would go for the company I bought it from. In my substancial experience with them I think they are more likely to refund the money when faced with legal action.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's assuming Mobiles.co notified Vodafone. Since the contract was taken out through them and they were the ones the OP asked to cancel it I would expect it is Mobiles who have broken the t&c of their contract. The OP neither bought the contract nor cancelled it with Vodafone direct, but with Mobiles.co.

Having found both organisations to be generally appalling but with Vodafone the worse of the two I would go for the company I bought it from. In my substancial experience with them I think they are more likely to refund the money when faced with legal action.

It might be worth waiting to find out exactly who took the money before suggesting legal action though. I doubt a court case against Mobiles will get far if it's actually Vodafone who took a direct debit.

Another question would be if the OP has tried a DD Guarantee claim if it was indeed a DD.

I really don't think there's enough info to be giving specific course of action advice.
    ====
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    It might be worth waiting to find out exactly who took the money before suggesting legal action though. I doubt a court case against Mobiles will get far if it's actually Vodafone who took a direct debit.

Another question would be if the OP has tried a DD Guarantee claim if it was indeed a DD.

I really don't think there's enough info to be giving specific course of action advice.

Vodafone took the money but Mobiles.co sold the contract and was supposed to ensure a refund was made. A DD claim against Vodafone could see them end up with a wrecked credit file (by Vodafone). The only other information which would be relevant are the t&c from Mobiles.co at the point of sale - but they would be over-ridden by the distance selling law if the sim was never received. The only complication would be if someone else got hold of the sim and actually used it - CPW sims arrive up and running.

Finally, sending a LBA commits you to nothing. In the case of CPW it usually is sufficient, provided it's composed well and is convincing. I'd have done that already as I don't play CPW's games.
  • Hannimal
    Hannimal Posts: 958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have received a " we will send you a cheque within 30 days" from mobiles.co.uk. Still haven't gotten the cheque.

Just to be clear - the money was taken OUT my account, I THEN cancelled the contract. I was not expecting to be charged as I had not received a SIM card and thought perhaps it was just taking a while for it to arrive. But as I got charged I cancelled the contract. SIM never arrived but I have spoken with both Vodafone and Mobiles.co.uk so I presume the SIM has been cancelled.

The money was debited from my account by Vodafone.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    There was an item about this firm on You and Yours today.
  • Hannimal
    Options
    I got the cheque from mobiles.co.uk last week and it has now been cashed and arrived on my account. Took almost 3 months to get back. Absolute rubbish company.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    Hannimal wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish company.

Not exactly news, I'm afraid.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why could you not have asked for the number allocated to that sim from mobiles.co.uk and then have gone into a Vodafone store and asked for a replacement sim on the contract?
  • Hannimal
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Why could you not have asked for the number allocated to that sim from mobiles.co.uk and then have gone into a Vodafone store and asked for a replacement sim on the contract?
    Because I decided to cancel when I didn't get the SIM. I am not running about trying to chase it, can't make it to shops during the week and certainly not spending my weekend in a Vodafone shop or a mall.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure