MSE News: Petrol prices hit new high

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"After a brief halt following weeks of increases, the average cost of petrol has gone up to 142.48p a litre, says the AA"
Read the full story:
Petrol prices hit new high

OfficialStamp.gif

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thats funny, I paid 143 p pl at BP last week
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Is there really any need for a 'petrol prices have gone up' thread nearly every !!!!!!! week?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    +1. The trend for petrol prices is on the rise. This is really old news so why the new discussion.
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I will consider this news when it is accompanied by a piece that says that traffic has dropped noticeably.

As the roads seem just as busy we have two possibilities:

1) People can still easily afford petrol.
    2) During the last 20 years a hell of a lot more people have arranged their lives so that they have to keep using their cars, no matter what the cost.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think my post from last months thread on the same topic probably still holds:
    Premier wrote: »
    It's all about supply and demand.

And when the pumps start running dry next month because the tanker drivers are going on strike, just watch that demand.

People will be queueing up for hours to pay any price asked ...

Decision day today as their mandate to call a strike runs out... :eek:
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Premier wrote: »
    Decision day today as their mandate to call a strike runs out... :eek:

Not right, they're continuing discussions with ACAS next week. No decision until Tuesday at the earliest, and even then they have to give 6 days notice of a strike.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Drive less, cycle more. The fuel in my car's tank should last me another three months so I'm pretty chilled by the whole thing TBH.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Notmyrealname
    Notmyrealname Posts: 4,003 Forumite
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    The fuel in my car's tank should last me another three months so I'm pretty chilled by the whole thing TBH.

You might want to use it before then. Fuel goes off and starts to turn to jelly, clogging the fuel lines and injectors.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 April 2012 at 1:35PM
    Not right, they're continuing discussions with ACAS next week. No decision until Tuesday at the earliest, and even then they have to give 6 days notice of a strike.
    I'm no expert, got my details from the bbc
    ...Unite has until Friday to accept a deal or announce a strike, after a deadline for calling industrial action was extended.

It would then have to give seven days' notice of any industrial action...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17753488

Do you have a more reliable source please?

Edit: Ah looks like they've since got a further extension :)
    ...Peter Harwood, Acas chief conciliator said, "Acas talks will reconvene on Monday. The employers and Unite have agreed to an extension of the validity of the ballot period for a further four days until Tuesday, to enable these talks to take place."...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17771769

Kind of makes sense as alternatively I understand they could have called a strike for as little as 15 minutes in 7 days time, allowing them to get an extension for a longer one later if necessary.
    ...Meanwhile military drivers are being put through an eight-day training course to enable them to operate commercial tankers, should a strike be called.

More than 80 drivers from the Royal Air Force have been training with one oil haulage firm.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You might want to use it before then. Fuel goes off and starts to turn to jelly, clogging the fuel lines and injectors.

I thought that it was usually fine for several months, even more if the tank is mostly full?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure