Sky signal contract help

Hi

For the last month I haven’t been able to watch sky tv. I’ve got trees in my garden that cannot be touched due to a preservation order.

Is there anyway I can get out of my sky tv contract? Not worth paying for it when I can’t watch anything

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mooch1uk wrote: »
    Is there anyway I can get out of my sky tv contract?
    Yes - you cancel the contract. See here:
    How to cancel your Sky TV subscription
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If you are still in your minimum contract period there will be a penalty if you cancel, it is not their fault the dish is in the wrong place. Can you not get the dish moved ?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Your problem , not theirs.

Dish on pole elsewhere in the garden only option , at your expense
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mooch1uk wrote: »
    Hi

For the last month I haven’t been able to watch sky tv. I’ve got trees in my garden that cannot be touched due to a preservation order.

Is there anyway I can get out of my sky tv contract? Not worth paying for it when I can’t watch anything

So this begs the question: Are these deciduous trees? Ie do they lose their leaves in the autumn and grow more in the spring? Or are they evergreens? Presumably the problem only started (if deciduous) when the tree grew new leaves?

Presumably the dish was put up after the trees but was it behind the trees at the time? What's probably happened is the trees have grown and its the leaves that block the signal. So if you can't do anything with the trees you have to move the dish.

This is not a "contract ending" cop out; its not Sky's fault your trees are in the way. Either shift your dish or get permission to "maintain" the tree which may involve pruning. But again the tree will continue to grow and this may only be a temporary fix.
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,497 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Have you spoken to you local authority about how much pruning they would allow? Tress with preservation orders still need maintaining, you just need the appropriate permissions.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Your local council should have a tree man. we have one at the council I work at, although he is a mystery person with only an email address to contact. They do allow maintaining of trees as it helps preserve them, which is the whole point. They might not agree to pruning just so you can get a Sky signal, but if the trees are becoming top heavy or dangerous to children or old people, they might.
  • An acquaintance has this issue with a tree in a neighbours garden which blocks his dish for about three months every year.

For the past five years he has been moaning about it and "thinking" about moving the dish but has never bothered to organise this.

There is no chance of the neighbour pruning the tree as when my friend first noticed this he went round all guns blazing and demanded that the tree be cut down. My acquaintance is an idiot. (and a lawyer)
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• An acquaintance has this issue with a tree in a neighbours garden which blocks his dish for about three months every year.

For the past five years he has been moaning about it and "thinking" about moving the dish but has never bothered to organise this.

There is no chance of the neighbour pruning the tree as when my friend first noticed this he went round all guns blazing and demanded that the tree be cut down. My acquaintance is an idiot. (and a lawyer)

It's truly amazing in my experience how often the two go together.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure