Austria September 2020 - When to book flights and car hire?

I'm new to booking flights and car hire. I've only ever been abroad twice and both times were package holidays.

My mum and I are going to Sportcamp Woferlgut through Eurocamp. So far, we have booked the caravan for Septmeber 2020 for 2 weeks. It's a long way off yet but as we are a low income family, we've had to book so far ahead in order to be able to save up to go.

As I said above, I am new to booking flights and hiring a car.

Firstly, how do you find out what airports/airlines fly to the airport we will need to fly to (Salzburg)?
And then how do you get the best deals? Is it better to book earlier? I believe flights aren't released until 11 months before departure so in our case, October. But are we better to book as soon as they are released or nearer to departure??

And the same question for car hire. Is it best to book early or nearer to departure??

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's a long way off yet but as we are a low income family, we've had to book so far ahead in order to be able to save up to go.
    This doesn't seem logical, what is preventing you saving money to a 'holiday fund' without having an actual booking to pay for? It also seems particularly risky, with a low income, to book so far ahead with the increased chance of intervening circumstances that could prevent travel.

In general prices of flights and car rental are higher when booked later, and prices can be quite low when first released for flights. But there are many variables.

You can use the likes of Momondo, Skyscanner etc to find flights for your required route, but it's often advised not to book through the online agents you are directed to. Especially for booking so far ahead, if you book directly with the airline you will avoid many headaches in the case of flight schedule changes or your own circumstances, compared to having to deal with everything through an online agent. Similarly for car rental.

Others may advise you better, I can't remember having ever booked flights more than a week or two in advance...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • https://www.salzburg-airport.com/en/

Please make sure you book travel insurance NOW
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills