PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 March 2019 at 9:12AM
    I have spent coupons ......

They are things I needed, not sure if they'll fit yet as I ordered online. I attempted store shopping but Spectrum Child wasn't having it, so click and collect it is.
    One pair of jeans and one pair of jeggings, which are more jean than legging..... Off to check what that totals as.

Also bidding on a few pieces on eBay but that's second hand.
    Only ordered the jeans because finding petite small stuff in CS is like unicorn poop here. Plus I had a gift card so only had to put £5 cash toward it.

Am I right in thinking jeans are 6 coupons?
    If so I'm up to 14 total coupons so far I think
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm off on Monday for a week back at my parents' place (aaargh!), partly for work, partly because I need a holiday - not sure I mentioned it but 3 months ago my chap's only child was left for dead by a hit-and-run driver, and was on life support for quite a few weeks. That understandably resulted in my chap becoming life-threateningly ill. At the time, I was just struggling to deal with a quite bad episode of exhaustion and ensuing depression...!

We have all made it. We're all still here, and astoundingly, Chap's offspring should make a near-complete recovery despite massive injuries. I've learnt to cope with only seeing my Chap for about 20 minutes a day as he comes in from work followed by hours at the hospital, and eats some food and falls asleep. Once every couple of weeks we get a day or an evening - today he's here and it's unbelievably wonderful to be typing this and hearing him tapping away in the other room trying to catch up with admin and so on.

Anyway... I have some meetings and a couple of bits of one-day work up where I used to live, so I'm going up all week and hoping to relax and sleep quite a lot.

And maybe have a look through some boxes to see what else is there!!!! :) I had a pair of trousers for work that I'd love to find again, men's 1940s ones in very fine black wool with pleats and a button-fly and braces-buttons - the danger in that house, of course, is that anything wool will have been mothed too badly to rescue, but it's worth looking...

Oh God! Laura, no, I didn’t know! Hugs to you and your Chap. And the Offspring (who must be going stir crazy in hospital by now).

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • PipneyJane
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    I have spent coupons ......

They are things I needed, not sure if they'll fit yet as I ordered online. I attempted store shopping but Spectrum Child wasn't having it, so click and collect it is.
    One pair of jeans and one pair of jeggings, which are more jean than legging..... Off to check what that totals as.

Also bidding on a few pieces on eBay but that's second hand.
    Only ordered the jeans because finding petite small stuff in CS is like unicorn poop here. Plus I had a gift card so only had to put £5 cash toward it.

Am I right in thinking jeans are 6 coupons?
    If so I'm up to 14 total coupons so far I think

Yes, jeans are 6 coupons. Fingers crossed they fit.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• I spent most of my teens and twenties struggling to wear fashionable shoes without hobbling, while my friends seemed to be able to skip lightly along in the same things... then I discovered that I actually have much wider-than-average feet. No wonder my shoes always seemed to hurt, it was a revelatory moment! Choices were limited in those days, but I blessed the arrival of Princess Diana on the scene because suddenly flats became acceptable.

Fast forward thirty years: now I don't care about fashion, and there's a much wider range of shoes (in both senses!) and the ease of Internet shopping. However, not counting slippers and wellies, I think I have four pairs of shoes and two pairs of sandals, and of those I wear two pairs most of the time. I also have some fabulous boots-for-ladies-with-fat-legs which I regard as life-changing. I haven't bought High Street shoes for decades, they are just no good for me.

My friend told me yesterday that after a wardrobe cull she has 70 pairs of shoes! :eek: In the 1940s I doubt if my mum had more than four pairs of shoes, total.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thankyou all, lovely people, for the lovely good wishes! We are indeed all doing well, and the improvement-curve continues upwards!

It's been very lovely having such a positive place as this thread to take refuge in at times - nobody in here ever turns on a poster and tells them off crossly for over-spending... it's a place of understanding but always gentle encouragement, that if we slip now, we'll do better next time, and a sense that we really ARE all in this together.

I think our assorted ancestral womenfolk would be very amused, maybe a little shocked at the sheer quantities some of us have, but I think they'd recognise the determination and the "stick-to-it-iveness" this thread has. Hurrah for the Fashion on the Ration thread!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • vintagegal
    vintagegal Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hurrah indeed Laura_Elsewhere! Sending hugs to you

Everyone is doing so well, being mindful, except me. Although I am returning one pair of shoes as they are too small, which is good as it has saved 5 coupons and I REALLY DON'T NEED THEM.

Need to look at why shopping is such an itch that I feel compelled to scratch.

Going to try and focus in the evenings on reading and knitting, and maybe even drag my lazy self to the swimming pool...

I've stopped knitting that jumper with circular needles as the other needles I ordered haven't come yet, and I've started a kit that my brother gave me for Christmas. Its the cross country coat by Wool and the Gang. I've made a few mistakes and had to unpick but I think it is easier than the other jumper. It will take some time though, but I need to learn to be less impatient so that's good!
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • What a horrible thing to have to deal with Laura Elsewhere. I am glad all is on the up again.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • PipneyJane
    Mustard yellow.

Or, at least, that's how it appears. In the last week, everywhere I've looked there have been women wearing mustard yellow. On Sunday, I even saw racks of mustard yellow blouses and coats at MrT's. Will I be buying anything in it? No. Does it suit me? No.

- Pip

(When I was little, my mother used to threaten us with boarding school if we were naughty. It didn't work on me because, as an avid reader, I'd devoured loads of school stories and wanted to be a boarder. That was until I saw the uniform of her school of choice, St Margaret's, Berwick: mustard yellow tunic, blazer, jumper and tie. Yuck!)

• That's so funny, Pip - I was looking at an online advert for somewhere yesterday (can't even remember which shop) and I thought there was an awful lot of mustard! I will not be buying it - not even to make my own clothes - it would make my rather sallow skin look jaundiced. I expect it suits some people, but not me.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura_Elsewhere Posts: 2,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    *::waves hand::* I'm another one who looks ghastly in that particular colour of mustard-yellow! And yes, it is EVERYWHERE!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure