Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    • 17,104Posts
    • 283,800Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread!
    • 2nd Jan 19, 7:11 PM
    The all new 2019 growing your own thread! 2nd Jan 19 at 7:11 PM
    Welcome to the new ups and downs of growing your own!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Club - Mind your peas and cues" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "The allotment shed"

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-03-2019 at 8:14 AM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Biggest aim of this year - hope that my terminally ill brother sees Christmas and 2020
Page 54
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 12th Jul 19, 9:11 AM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 28,567 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Morning All

A quick question to the knowledgeable: do I need to be worried about the odd yellowing leaf on the potatoes and/or tomatoes? I am talking about one on each plant at most. Many thanks.

PS: What i do with the courgettes: as well as drizzling with oil and roasting in the oven, I'll grate them and freeze in 250g bags to add to meat-based sauces as padding (chilli, bolognese, keema, etc). There's also Nigella Lawson's Courgette Cake which is a family favourite. if I'm using frozen grated courgette, I'll add a little less liquid.
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    Re potatoes - As unrecordings said, this may be normal - just watch they don't suddenly get brown botches on the leaves and start collapsing as this can be blight (in which case you need to act fast to try and stop it spreading and impacting your potatoes)

Thanks for the courgette suggestions - I am off out to get a lime today for the cake...
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q2 30,085 or 50.14% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 78.13% 31,251.65 including July - reducing now we have stopped work
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 6,875.14 after July
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k - 50.52% spent so far, at end of July
    My DFD is here
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 12th Jul 19, 9:16 AM
    • 10,252 Posts
    • 47,928 Thanks
    euronorris
    Thanks for the link about whiteflies, will have a good read today (was very manic at work yesterday and then at home, so didn't have chance).

I give the tomatoes a good shake every morning and evening *shrugs* they get a fair bit of wind where they are too. They look otherwise healthy. I don't know what's up with them.

One of my courgette plants has come over all ill looking. It's the one that it potted. some of the older leaves have gone all yellowish/brownish looking, like they are dying off. The others look like they have mildew. Sigh.

Had some rain last night at least

I can't get any proper time out there until tomorrow morning (still limited as have got DDs bday party at 2pm), or Sunday afternoon. Hope everything remains OK until then!
    May Grocery challenge: 192.98/300
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 13th Jul 19, 8:44 AM
    • 10,252 Posts
    • 47,928 Thanks
    euronorris
    Ok, I've had a better look this morning and there are multiple tomatoes forming. I'm just being impatient lol!
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 13th Jul 19, 11:53 AM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    Mnd
    Well done. Now the wait for them to start turning from green to red
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 13th Jul 19, 2:49 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Well done. Now the wait for them to start turning from green to red
    Originally posted by Mnd
    I've had some likely candidates for some weeks now, but they just don't seem to be turning - last year I got my first tomato in early July, but I guess the heatwave had a hand in that because in 2017 it was nearer mid/end of August

Meanwhile just picked a handful of small courgettes say 3-4" each plus some smaller ones yellowing at the end - now I know why they do that I pick them immediately so they don't go to waste (they go in the ramen)

I also started my plan for next season (more wildflowers)
    Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 13th Jul 19, 6:45 PM
    • 10,252 Posts
    • 47,928 Thanks
    euronorris
    Thanks. Will definitely be weeks yet before they ripen. I expect close to end of august.

In other news, I held out and waited on the pea plants. I told myself I'd give them until this weekend, and if ko new growth, then I'd yank them out. On Wednesday, nothing. Today, new growth and even saw a new flower formed at the back! So looks like I'm holding onto them for a second round
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 14th Jul 19, 6:28 AM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 28,567 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    In other news, I held out and waited on the pea plants. I told myself I'd give them until this weekend, and if ko new growth, then I'd yank them out. On Wednesday, nothing. Today, new growth and even saw a new flower formed at the back! So looks like I'm holding onto them for a second round
    Originally posted by euronorris
    Phew! I always hope others can benefit from the bits I find out by experimenting or by accident. Here's to a worthwhile second crop

unrecordings - I might have missed it - why do the courgettes sometimes start to rot at the ends?
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q2 30,085 or 50.14% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 78.13% 31,251.65 including July - reducing now we have stopped work
    My DFD is here
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th Jul 19, 8:10 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    unrecordings
    unrecordings - I might have missed it - why do the courgettes sometimes start to rot at the ends?
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Think it was wikipedia of all places: they start to go yellow as a sign they've not been pollinated properly, so I guess the rot follows as the plant abandons that particular fruit - in short, get 'em early if they start to go yellow and there's still a good bit of green to use on the fruit - they won't get any bigger/better
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 14th Jul 19, 3:50 PM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 28,567 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Ooh. Thank you! Definitely worth knowing. I am covered in nettle stings and goose grass "burns" from attempting to clear some bindweed. Nothing permanent, just trying to stop the strangulation
    My DFD is here
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th Jul 19, 4:50 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Talking of which - thought I'd get out there today and pick carrots & cabbage to go with our roast. The carrots are still far too small so I turned my attention to the neglected onions, which I've left in a little too long - and my chair broke... ...cue half an hour with my legs in the air and an FSC certified pile of firewood wedging me between two raised beds while Mrs Un prized me out using bubblewrap and the very excellent Town & Country kneeler.
    I've not had that much exercise in nearly two weeks. No injuries, but I did learn something new about water retention: leaky feet
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 14th Jul 19, 7:09 PM
    • 1,505 Posts
    • 11,518 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Talking of which - thought I'd get out there today and pick carrots & cabbage to go with our roast. The carrots are still far too small so I turned my attention to the neglected onions, which I've left in a little too long - and my chair broke... ...cue half an hour with my legs in the air and an FSC certified pile of firewood wedging me between two raised beds while Mrs Un prized me out using bubblewrap and the very excellent Town & Country kneeler.
    I've not had that much exercise in nearly two weeks. No injuries, but I did learn something new about water retention: leaky feet
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    Oops, Hope you are Ok, It's not something you want to repeat!! by the way love your offbeat sense of humour.

Planted a bed of kohlrabi and netted them well as the pesky rabbits had the last lot, just as they had started to swell and I was considering trying one.
    Pulled out the first lot of spent dwarf beans and the first lot of mangetout. Replaced them with some cauliflowers called Nemo. I'm usually not that successful with caulis but I'm going to have another go.
    Did the usual watering.
    At some stage tomorrow I must put out more beetroot and some more fennel, oh and the paths need strimming so I need to put the battery on charge tonight - mustn't forget.

There is more but DH has just come in for his tea.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th Jul 19, 9:41 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Strimming here tomorrow too assuming my feet haven't melted
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 15th Jul 19, 6:39 AM
    • 5,646 Posts
    • 14,857 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Another one here who doesnt have much success with caulis. I have tried and tried over the years from seed and get to the small plant stage and they die on me.

Bought plug plants earlier this year and have picked 3 wonderful caulis up to now! Still more to come. Wont waste my time in future with seeds.

Ive never grown spring cabbage. Think I read that they go in around now. Anyone got any tips?

Oh........and still not picked any courgettes yet
    [COLOR="Red"]Make 10 a day challenge 2019 Jan 397.78 Feb 290.82 Apr 222.68 May 160.69 July 64.49
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1939.71 miles
    Walk 2019 miles in 2019.....1,309.68 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626.44,182,43,721,41,828
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 15th Jul 19, 9:43 AM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 28,567 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    My self-help tips to counter water retention
    Strimming here tomorrow too assuming my feet haven't melted
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    So the top tips to counter water retention are to eat less salt, avoid refined carbs (bread, sugar, processed foods) and do eat or drink dandelion, drink more water, increase avocado and tomato for increased potassium, increase B6 (walnuts as a snack!) and magnesium - nuts, whole grains, dark chocolate and leafy, green vegetables - well the last two groups work for pre-menstrual women - and keep your feet elevated if you are being inactive but a little walking about will help disperse it - you don't want it going "stagnant" - a bit of gentle ankle and foot massage helps disperse it too, if Mrs Un will oblige.

I would rather do it without taking a tablet as you may gather...
    My DFD is here
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 15th Jul 19, 8:18 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Without going into too much detail, turns out I was leaking from a hole in my foot - bit of kitchen roll & masking tape sorted that out. Didn't get much done in the garden though, but pulled my first beetroot, nice leaves but a very small (bean sized) root - just big enough for the ramen along with some garlic chives, last year's kale still hanging on, some use them or bin them onions, the better bits of some yellowing courgettes, some chard (first ever) and nasturtium leaves

I've one tomato that's just turning - but it's got blossom end rot, and looks pretty ugly - will need to investigate tomorrow (and pick the jostaberries & more raspberries before the squirrels get them)
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 16th Jul 19, 7:15 AM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 28,567 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Just looked up Jostaberries - sound interesting - what is the prevailing flavour like?
    My DFD is here
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 16th Jul 19, 8:10 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Just looked up Jostaberries - sound interesting - what is the prevailing flavour like?
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Not sure yet, we inherited one when SIL/BIL moved house - it only started fruiting last year. Kind of a cross between blackcurrants & gooseberries. The one I had yesterday was a little overripe, but there were some greener ones that might be a bit more tart/gooseberry

Looking at this website, looks like it's a nice hybrid with extended harvesting season (earlier for tart/later for sweet)

https://www.allotment-garden.org/fruit/jostaberries-growing/
    • ancientmum
    • By ancientmum 16th Jul 19, 9:17 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    ancientmum
    Morning,
    I posted here ages ago, but have been reading along since then, learning from the more expert people, I took over a neglected allotment in March, and have spent time since then clearing small patches of weeds to plant some crops and benefitting from what was already there.
    Blackcurrants - these have been left to grow wild, I'll cut them back in the autumn but they have produced lots of fruit.
    Rhubarb- well established, probably need thinning but again producing well
    Raspberries - The canes were bare in March, I read some advice about pruning well back for autumn fruiting so thought "oh well, I'll see what happens" and chopped them down. Most have recovered and producing fruit now, so they appear to be summer fruiting. Part of the site was covered with black plastic. Under this I found a couple of white baby plants. I left them to grow and they are now large and bushy but not producing fruit.
    Potatoes - I planted these and have got a good haul of second earlies so far, and healthy looking plants for the later varieties.
    Courgette(s) - I lost all the ones I put out early to a cold night in May. Replanted some more seeds and have got just one plant growing. It has flowers but no fruit yet. There are several plants nearby so I am hoping they will come in time.
    Tomatoes, runner beans = these are quite late compared to what most of you are reporting, flowers only on the tomatoes so far, and none on the beans although they are growing well.
    Beetroot - only one of the seeds I planted has grown well, with a good show of leaves. I'm going to pull it at the weekend, hoping for one big enough for a salad
    Mangetout - after a slow start this is suddenly beginning to produce, and I've got another row growing for some later on.
    I'm eating rogue chard, strawberries and have rescued some parsnips,but not tried them yet. I've planted purple sprouting broccoli and cabbage, carrots and onions. It's a steep learning curve, I'm keeping notes so I can see what works and what doesn't.
    Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this essay, I will keep reading for advice and encouragement, and better get off now to do some work on the plot!
    If life is a journey, I want comfy shoes
    Grocery Challenge 2019 839.63/2000, including pet stuff, toiletries and take-aways
    Make 2019 in 2019 no. 110 591.89/2019
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 17th Jul 19, 2:02 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Morning,
    I posted here ages ago, but have been reading along since then, learning from the more expert people, I took over a neglected allotment in March ---
    Blackcurrants - these have been left to grow wild, I'll cut them back in the autumn but they have produced lots of fruit.
    Originally posted by ancientmum
    Welcome !
    We've just picked our blackcurrants (Ben Connan) and yesterday the jostaberries, all being washed/dried/frozen as I type. I'm desperate to prune them and finally tidy that corner of the garden, but will just have to wait.

In terms of figuring out what works, I use a spreadsheet for planning & calendar as a simple diary - the spreadsheet can get as lazy or complicated as I like as I tend to renew it every year (apart from the basic rotation plan)
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 17th Jul 19, 5:42 PM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,698 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Gardeners World Tonight
    Just noticed Gardeners World is 9pm tonight instead of Friday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,832Posts Today

8,933Users online

Martin's Twitter