Thames water refuse to fit a metre even though I have no access to the metre on someone else’s land

Long story short.
We moved in to a new build barn conversion on a farm, our metre is on someone else’s property which we have no way of accessing. I called in October and I was told by TW that they would be in touch 6-8weeks to install our own water metre free of charge and we wouldn’t be charged for the water we had used from moving in mid Aug. Yesterday a bill arrived for £300!!!!!:eek: I called them up relayed my story and the supervisor I spoke to said that someone took the reading, however they have no proof if this metre is to my property (they never came in) or supplies 5 other local properties (which it does) therefore for two people in less than 5months we are being charged a heck of a lot, we’ve also been away on holiday and hospital for 6 weeks inclusive.
:money: Martin or anyone... what are my rights here? Should I complain to OFWAT? TW are reviewing the calls and getting back to me on Monday, they’ve quoted (supervisor) 4-5k for our own metre which is ridiculous as we need our own water for the property and something which we can access and also which was promised in the conversation with TW in oct. Thanks

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Leighhh wrote: »
    Long story short.
    We moved in to a new build barn conversion on a farm, our metre is on someone else’s property which we have no way of accessing. I called in October and I was told by TW that they would be in touch 6-8weeks to install our own water metre free of charge and we wouldn’t be charged for the water we had used from moving in mid Aug. Yesterday a bill arrived for £300!!!!!:eek: I called them up relayed my story and the supervisor I spoke to said that someone took the reading, however they have no proof if this metre is to my property (they never came in) or supplies 5 other local properties (which it does) therefore for two people in less than 5months we are being charged a heck of a lot, we’ve also been away on holiday and hospital for 6 weeks inclusive.
    :money: Martin or anyone... what are my rights here? Should I complain to OFWAT? TW are reviewing the calls and getting back to me on Monday, they’ve quoted (supervisor) 4-5k for our own metre which is ridiculous as we need our own water for the property and something which we can access and also which was promised in the conversation with TW in oct. Thanks

What has the developer got to say for themselves about leaving you with a half completed barn conversion?

Or were you made aware of this situation by your conveyancer before you agreed to purchase, and so agreed a price accordingly?

Sorry to hear you were in hospital recently for 6weeks. Nothing serious I hope. Insomnia perhaps? :cool:

Take care!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport