PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,
    Just updated sig, spent last £2 of this weeks money on 6 rolls from local baker and a small pack of Dolly Mixtures for DS (he fell at nursery and hurt his knee so was needing cheering up!).
    Also got a couple of other things today but not from GC budget (present for party DS is going to, creme egg for me).
    Hope all are well x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• MKS
    MKS Posts: 10,328
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    All seems to be going well so far - had 3 NSD!!! :T
    Going to buy some sausage meat and puff pastry tonight so i can
    make sausage rolls and apple turnovers for lunches.

Good luck everyone for Feb and thank you so much for all the support and tips and recipes!! :A

Try adding some sage and onion stuffing (made up) with the sausagemeat, approx one third S&O to two thirds of sausagemeat, mix together well. My family love them that way. As this makes more, freeze (uncooked) the ones that you don't need straightaway and you'll have a stock in the freezer.
  • Question!

I do my budget from 20th to 19th of each month - have been doing it since 20th Jan - but would it be best to say this is the Feb budget (as there are more feb days in it) or to say it is Jan budget?

I don't want to be left behind! lol
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mrs Mc, can I please have a budget of £425 for Feb? I 'failed' spectacularly in Jan!!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • 1st spend of new month - was planning a drive to local Mr A & a big shop but car died so walked to Mr T & spent £18.52(all I could carry home), will need to pop out again when DH gets home from work & get a few more bits, big baking session planned with DD1 & DD2 on Thursday after school so need so more ingredients. Good luck with the new month every one - off to update signature with GC figures
    Declutter 2023  110/520
    Jan grocery challenge 324.44/350 25.56 spare
    Feb grocery challenge 204.45/280
    March gc 0/310

23 minutes a day self care, decluttering, tidying or cleaning 
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Afternoon all :) Well, it's my day off and was awakened at half seven with my OH calling my mobile as he couldn't remember whether he had shut the front door.....! Well that woke me up so had to do a few bits for probate and then cleaned up the house and made some chollah bread as I have run out of all bread.

So all in all a productive morning. Just waiting in for a return to be picked up and then not sure what to do for the rest of the day. Maybe mooch around the boards and think about getting some dinner on.....

Anyway have a good day all :) Hugs to all those who need them!
    X
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    NickJW wrote: »
    First spend of the month - £2.09 on sandwich filler and sugar. :D

Why does anyone buy sandwich filler :huh:. Boil an egg, mash it up and stick a bit of chopped up greenery in it. ;) Mash a few chick peas up with a bit of oil :D Make your own with a tin of tuna fish, keep it in the fridge, it will last all week. :kisses3:
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Could I join please ? My plan is for £240 monthly spend but £120 of that will be a big meat shop for the freezer, and then £30 per week to include baby milk and nappies and whatever else we need. I've got fairly well stocked cupboards and have meal planned for the month so fingers crossed will go to plan!

xx
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Mothership wrote: »
    Came down to have a wee look through the recipe's to see if I could find a nice one for bread. Not made bread for years (used to do it all the time) till I stuffed my (proving place full of groceries). Then I read on here that someone puts a plastic shower cap over the bowl to prove the bread, I got loads of those (I do B&B they don't get used much, about 4 in 9 yrs).
    Over the radiator in the kitchen would be a great place for proving, if I put the covered bowl in a bag and hang it there, it should work.

If anyone wants a disposable shower cap to try it PM me and I will send you some. I helped with a mail shot recently and got loads of stamps left over as a reward.

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I use disposable shower caps over a large stainless steel bowl from IKEA - works a treat - I also use them 'puffed up' over the actual loaf tins. Husband stays away in hotels and brings them back, so I always have a good supply. In the summer I stick it on a sunny wondowsill, in this weather on top of the cooker

Hope it works for you :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 1 February 2011 at 1:28PM
    Ilona wrote: »
    Why does anyone buy sandwich filler :huh:. Boil an egg, mash it up and stick a bit of chopped up greenery in it. ;) Mash a few chick peas up with a bit of oil :D Make your own with a tin of tuna fish, keep it in the fridge, it will last all week. :kisses3:
    Ilona

I know...I know...in an ideal world I really should do this, but since it's not expensive and easy, I take the easy option by buying the sandwich fillers. I usually leave the house for work around 7am and get home between 7 and 9pm, so I don't fancy doing extra cooking for lunches on top of cooking my dinner. After buying nasty tuna from Mr T a few months ago I STILL can't face the thought of opening another can :rotfl: (tuna mayo is what I used to make). I need to relax a bit in the evening :o. If I cook too much for dinner I'll sometimes take leftovers for lunches, but that's about it...

ETA: The mashed chickpeas sounds interesting thought - might give that a go - Thanks :-)
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills