Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rajeshk4u
    • By rajeshk4u 16th May 19, 11:20 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 13Thanks
    rajeshk4u
    Should people pay for broadband based on speed?
    • 16th May 19, 11:20 PM
    Should people pay for broadband based on speed? 16th May 19 at 11:20 PM
    I used to get bad broadband around 2MB. My neighbhoor could have better speed around 6MB. I just happen to have a rubbish line.

Out of frustration, I paid extra for fibre, but I am annoyed, I have to pay extra simply because the line quality is so bad. How is that my fault?

The phone company should be charging based on the broadband speed I can get. Currently the phone companies have no incentive to improve speeds.

It is unfair, I have to pay for fibre, just to get reliable internet.

The phone company should dig up the road and fix their network, if they want me to pay the full price for broadband.

What do people think?
Page 2
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 18th May 19, 5:47 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    littleboo
    BT are advertising regular broadband for up to 10MB. When I enter my postcode the speed goes down to 1-3MB. Yet the price they quote is the same.

They should grade phone lines:
    A - good quality
    B - average
    C - poor

People should pay according to the quality

On Fibre I am getting 26MB download and 0.6MB upload.

So they can focus on people with Grade C phone lines to improve them to get them on to Grade A.
    Originally posted by rajeshk4u
    You talk about line quality but for copper lines, in the majority of cases its line length that limits the speed. Digging up the road to fix the network as you suggest can't change the line length.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 18th May 19, 9:23 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    Mister G
    You talk about line quality but for copper lines, in the majority of cases its line length that limits the speed. Digging up the road to fix the network as you suggest can't change the line length.
    Originally posted by littleboo
    As I said.
    • wild666
    • By wild666 19th May 19, 6:57 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    wild666
    I used to get bad broadband around 2MB. My neighbhoor could have better speed around 6MB. I just happen to have a rubbish line.

Out of frustration, I paid extra for fibre, but I am annoyed, I have to pay extra simply because the line quality is so bad. How is that my fault?

The phone company should be charging based on the broadband speed I can get. Currently the phone companies have no incentive to improve speeds.

It is unfair, I have to pay for fibre, just to get reliable internet.

The phone company should dig up the road and fix their network, if they want me to pay the full price for broadband.

What do people think?
    Could it be the wire from the pole?
    After I got BB it started at 32 Mbps but dropped to 1.5 Mbps within hours BT flat out refused to change the wire from the pole so I sent the CEO an Email using ceomail telling him in 96 hours I was taking the case to the small claims court for breach of contract, they had supplied the BB but not at the speed they claimed, I was getting faster results from my phone than the PC, in a week I had a new line from the pole to the home and its been better than the claimed speed ever since.
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 22nd May 19, 7:33 PM
    • 35,033 Posts
    • 41,115 Thanks
    Browntoa
    BT are looking at pushing fibre nodes to telephone poles and manholes in the road/pathway to boost speeds on long lines .
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 22nd May 19, 7:41 PM
    • 35,033 Posts
    • 41,115 Thanks
    Browntoa
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/06/bt-openreach-test-new-1gbps-broadband-pole-mounted-fttdp-g-fast-kit.html
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Uxb1
    • By Uxb1 22nd May 19, 8:33 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    Uxb1
    When phone lines first became a consumer purchase - back in the 1920's the line rental charging structure was "interesting".
    Those within a certain distance of the exchange paid a standard rate, and those further away paid more depending on the line length. The logical basis being that long lines are going to need more maintenance and costs.
    Translate that now to broadband and you come up with the concept that those further away and hence with lower speeds should actually be paying more
    Can't see that one as a runner myself.......
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 23rd May 19, 7:20 AM
    • 12,526 Posts
    • 5,642 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    The FTTP rollout will be increased from its current state according to the CEO .
    Of course that will mean users moaning about higher priced but more reliable broadband .
    • wild666
    • By wild666 24th May 19, 5:47 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    wild666
    I am paying 24.99 for 42 Mb with Origin still in the minimum contract period but expect it to go up next March when the minimum period is up even though they said no price increases for 30 months, did that mean the 24.99 will stay that for 30 months or will they up the bill in March to accommodate the phone rental.

12 years ago BT tried to get me to have BT vision with the internet but I didn't have a TV and didn't want one at that time the fastest speed was 0.5 Mb and you needed 1.5 Mb for a stable BT Vision service, they even tried to say I could have it free for 6 months.
    I really do think that the price you pay should be based on the speed received like 1 to 5 Mb, 5 to 10 Mb and so on in increments of 5 Mb.

It's no good paying for superfast broadband, up to 76 Mb, when you can only get 2 Mb.
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 24th May 19, 7:19 PM
    • 4,131 Posts
    • 2,385 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I am paying 24.99 for 42 Mb with Origin still in the minimum contract period but expect it to go up next March when the minimum period is up even though they said no price increases for 30 months, did that mean the 24.99 will stay that for 30 months or will they up the bill in March to accommodate the phone rental.

12 years ago BT tried to get me to have BT vision with the internet but I didn't have a TV and didn't want one at that time the fastest speed was 0.5 Mb and you needed 1.5 Mb for a stable BT Vision service, they even tried to say I could have it free for 6 months.
    I really do think that the price you pay should be based on the speed received like 1 to 5 Mb, 5 to 10 Mb and so on in increments of 5 Mb.

It's no good paying for superfast broadband, up to 76 Mb, when you can only get 2 Mb.
    Originally posted by wild666
    Sky for one won't sell you fibre broadband if you can only get 2Mbs, possibly not even ADSL.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 27th May 19, 1:49 PM
    • 9,281 Posts
    • 2,368 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    You mean the shoddy fibre offered by BT, TalkTalk, Sky etc...

The download speed may be around 38MB (or what ever they promise). However, the upload speed is still 1MB.
    TalkTalk offer two basic speeds for fibre
    Download 38Mbps with upload 1Mbps
    or for an extra 5 per month :

Download 76Mbps with upload 20Mbps

I don't know whether all addresses get this option but I do and have had a good steady 70+Mbps for 4 years !!
    I negotiate my charges - annually and am currently paying 27.90 per month inc unlimited calls - which I believe is pretty good
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 27th May 19, 2:25 PM
    • 12,526 Posts
    • 5,642 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Yes thats the standard BT OR 76 meg Fibre package as from many ISPs .
    Speed dependant upon address and actual line to the cabinet .

BT OR FTTP at 150/30 and 300/50 .
    • Fallfromgrace
    • By Fallfromgrace 29th May 19, 8:30 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Fallfromgrace
    Well, I was paying 45 a month with BT and getting speeds of 0.64-5mbps and that's slow as we are not in a fibre enabled area. And wouldn't be for many years.

Our line is copper and possibly from the 1950's as this house was built then. And we are quite a distance from the cabinet box in Stockton, even though the guy who came to fix it in asked why we weren't on the box for our town.

Doesn't matter now off to virgin next week. Although be sad to see Sky go as well, as Sky Atlantic has the best shows on there.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,168Posts Today

4,456Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin