When can a water meter NOT be installed?

I've received a couple of letters now telling me that Affinity Water will be installing a smart water meter at my property.
I strongly suspect I have a shared supply pipe and they won't be able to fit one outside the property. This means installing one inside where the stop tap is, however my stop tap is fully exposed at the bottom of my stairs! The house is 1830s and that's just where it is, just sticking up out of the wall. Lol.
Will they actually fit a meter to it in these circumstances? Fine if it was under the kitchen sink but I don't really want to see a water meter in full view. Do I have any rights to refuse in this case?
TIA

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    This is a grey area!

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/prs_lft_101117meters.pdf

Deciding where the
    meter should go

The company will choose where to put the meter.
    You can ask for it to be installed in a different
    place, but you may be required to pay the
    difference in costs.
  • SandraX
    SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
    Usually in blocks of flats in London
  • I can't have one installed in my house in Wales.
    The water pipe to my house comes in behind my washing machine and the fitter from Welsh Water said it wasn't practical to fit one there and refused to fit one outside.
    I actually wanted one as a single person household and a bill which was initially over £500 for a year. In the end they did reassess me and lover the bill by £200.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure