Smart Meters

Options

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Of course, but technology for technology's sake is pointless. The technology needs to be fit for purpose and solve a genuine problem for it to really be of value.

Well my new smart meter does everything I expect of it.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »

Must be nice to have such low expectations & to never want to change supplier.
  • I have had an email from npower to say they are coming at the end of the month to fit a smart meter IF I confirm that the date and time are convenient.
    I haven't contacted them yet to confirm or rearrange date and notice there is nothing in their email for me to say I don't want one.

So...........do I have to have one fitted?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have had an email from npower to say they are coming at the end of the month to fit a smart meter IF I confirm that the date and time are convenient.
    I haven't contacted them yet to confirm or rearrange date and notice there is nothing in their email for me to say I don't want one.

So...........do I have to have one fitted?
    No - politely, but firmly, decline. Consumers are under no obligation to agree to a smart meter. Think again in 2019 when SMETS2 meters will be the new standard.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Must be nice to have such low expectations & to never want to change supplier.

Perhaps my expectations are low.

Until now, I have done my own meter readings between monthly and quarterly and stored the data on a spreadsheet. I have used this to monitor and estimate consumption, and this factors into choosing the best supplier when I carry out regular reviews.

So far, the In Home Display and App are giving me far more information than I ever had before. I don't have to read the meter and contact the supplier to give them the information. I'm expecting my bills and payment plans to be more accurate. I expect my meter could offer more complex tariffs than the ones currently available, and I may benefit from these at some time. All this exceeds my simple requirements.

I've just entered into a two year contract. In two years time, I am optimistic that a data sharing system for the first generation meters will be in place. I will review the market as usual and change suppliers if I need to. Several other suppliers use the same meters as my supplier, and already offer continued functionality on switching.

I would tend to agree that the implementation of smart meters has been poor, but I think boycotting them is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

So far, the In Home Display and App are giving me far more information than I ever had before.

Pleased to hear you are happy with your change of meter, but does your IHD give the GAS as only KWH or does it also give the meter readings. Please note that some posters (obviously no idea how true it is which is why I am asking) say that the IHD readings do not give the same readings as the meter. It would be nice to get confirmation or otherwise of that.
  • Nick_C
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Pleased to hear you are happy with your change of meter, but does your IHD give the GAS as only KWH or does it also give the meter readings. Please note that some posters (obviously no idea how true it is which is why I am asking) say that the IHD readings do not give the same readings as the meter. It would be nice to get confirmation or otherwise of that.

The IHD only shows consumption in KWh. It doesn't show meter readings. (This is with OVO)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The IHD only shows consumption in KWh. It doesn't show meter readings. (This is with OVO)

So, doesn't actually show the readings that you get charged on? So you are trusting the supplier ,particularly on gas readings. I wouldn't be happy to not be able to cross check the calculations.:(
  • Nick_C
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    So, doesn't actually show the readings that you get charged on? So you are trusting the supplier ,particularly on gas readings. I wouldn't be happy to not be able to cross check the calculations.:(

You get charged for KWh of energy used. You can see the cm3 values (meter readings) in the app and on the bills when they bill you.
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    Can it make you a proper cup of tea? ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure