PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 July 2012 at 2:05PM
    I've run out of space in the recipe index, so will list new recipes here for the rest of this thread and ask Zip to enlarge the list for August.

Chicken, Leek and Tarragon pie - GF & DF
    Corned Beef Hash
    Sweet Potato and Leek Pie
    Vegetable and Blue Cheese Bake
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • GreenFairy wrote: »
    Well however are supermarkets going to make ginormous profits if they don't have everyone chucking out "toxic" produce as soon as it nears any sort of date stamp? :cool: Endanger, indeed. Antibacterial soap is more dangerous to her family than a bendy carrot!

Excuse my ignorance but why is antibacterial soap dangerous? I know it gets rid of bacteria, including good bacteria, but didn't know it was actually dangerous :eek:?
    ikkle87 wrote: »
    Lmm I'm the same since getting pregnant and becoming mainly housebound. Find I eat loads of fruit as it gives me a bit of a pick up and it's better for me than crisps and sweets x

I was heavily addicted to fruit when I was pregnant - had to stock up every 2/3 days - especially fruit with seeds (kiwis, berries etc) for some reason :rotfl:. But I used to think the same as you that it was good for me and the baby and also I didn't put lots of extra weight on. Both times when I came out of hospital I only had half a stone to lose but babies were both nearly 8lb when born. So all good.
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,842
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thai red chicken curry for tea tonight - nom, can't wait. I'm using the $harwoods paste I got from AF - 12 sachets for 1p!!! It's bb date was Nov 2011 - we have used several sachets and are still alive :D Going to serve it with basmati and wild rice - mixed tub from Co$tco which was left over from a church 'do', and ys naan bread.

Gammon in batter last night - mixed reaction from children and DH so won't be rushing to serve it again (sorry Flo :o) although it felt really good to use up lo's and have a cheapy meal.

Change of plan for today - I'm taking advantage of a beautiful sunny dry morning to catch up on a gardening client I had to cancel on Monday. No painting for me today as I won't have the energy. Oh and just to clarify - the MrT plastic bag on my head is to cover my very long, very dark hair when I'm doing the ceilings. I already have natural 'highlights' (read 'grey'...) and don't want to look like I have nits as well :rotfl:
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • jasmin10
    jasmin10 Posts: 905 Forumite
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Thai red chicken curry for tea tonight - nom, can't wait. I'm using the $harwoods paste I got from AF - 12 sachets for 1p!!! It's bb date was Nov 2011 - we have used several sachets and are still alive :D

We bought those too. didnt use coconut milk just ormal. Wow it was gorgeous, thoroughly enjoy it.
    TopCashback £1792.63
    My Little World
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Good morning peeps:wave:

This is the calm before the storm. Just me today so I can crack on with things I REALLY need to do. The OH has taken the kids out to a volunteer oroject so i have gardening, cleaning, cooking, finishing off the elderflower champagne for future consumption and a mental list of many other tasks that need tackling to keep me occupied :eek:

Just having a brew before I hit the motivational music (an essential when you are doing chores in the house.... Alone!)

I have leftover curry and leftover rice.

The leftover curry is going to be turned into leftover pie for tea. The leftover rice is gonna be added to diced leftover bacon mixed with an egg and made into rice patties.

I ran out of cereal today so I had a single herby cheese bread toasted with a fried egg on one half and a slice of leftover bacon on the other instead of dashing to the stores.

The kids have requested special packed lunches for the next few days so I am going to use next weeks shopping budget tonight and then record the spend on Saturday.

Lovely to hear everyone's successes with the grocery challenge. I pick up lots of tips everyday.

Littlemissmoneysaver, I only ever pad out my spot the mince chilli with lentils. Why, oh why, did I never think of doing the same to bolognaise too!!!!!:mad:
    I am so doing that next time.:j Thanks so much for mentioning it!:T

Have a fab n frugaltastic day, peeps:wave:
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    jasmin10 wrote: »
    We bought those too. didnt use coconut milk just ormal. Wow it was gorgeous, thoroughly enjoy it.

Sounds goodto me,Ihave boxes of the paste to use up and some chicken thighs. dinner sorted I think.
    Slimming World at target
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Urgh had to make another visit to MrS today as I somehow overlooked that we are out of bananas and chopped tomatoes when I went yesterday. Items purchased and another £1 to add to my spends. £81.23/£200
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    XSpender wrote: »

I have just started eating meat again after 25 years and haven't progressed to red meat yet and my coeliac disease means I can't eat quorn mince anymore :( but I have a lot of sausages in the freezer to make into a casserole and I would like to make a nice chicken casserole if I can find a good recipe.

I am going to have another look at my meal plan and add in a couple of pasta bakes as I have 2 tonnes of GF pasta in the larder from lots of freebie samples and the leftovers will do for DH lunch.

We don't eat puddings but I do like something sweet at work and tend to bake a cake and biscuits for me to eat during the week. I am going to make better use of my prescription certificate and get flour mixes to bake with. I have only had one scrip so far so I am still learning what items work best for me.

Our dinner plates are quite large but I have 2 smaller ones I might start using to cut our portions. Our waistlines will thank us I am sure:D

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things XSpender. You could use dried soya mince instead of the Quorn which is cheaper than Quorn anyway :) The only thing I can think of, though obviously I don't know the reasons you have begun eating meat again, pulses and nuts are usually a much cheaper source of protein and iron.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • GreenFairy
    GreenFairy Posts: 379
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Excuse my ignorance but why is antibacterial soap dangerous? I know it gets rid of bacteria, including good bacteria, but didn't know it was actually dangerous :eek:?
    My point was that her bendy carrots weren't going to harm anyone, not that antibac soap is dangerous - she accused the OP of "endangering" her family by telling her to stick her bendy veg into a soup :)

That said, I don't use antibac soap (or cleaning products) at all as it gets rid of good bacteria as you've pointed out. Plus, combined with all the other antibac products that get used these days, they're actually serving to make us less healthy, not more. All we really need is normal soap and hot water for bodies and household cleaning.
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2012 at 11:33AM
    Tea break time!

Right, I have managed to make 11 rice patties/burgers with the leftover bacon and rice which are cooling now and heading for the freezer.
    Also made a leftover curry pie. I had some asparagus to use up, so thought I'd make a top layer under the pie lid. Ive also experimented with some quickie lavender biscuits which are in the oven now as I type.
    If my recipe works, I will share it on here later.

Just got to clean up the kitchen... Again:o

Washing on the line drying nicely :)
    Shopping list done too for later.

Can't wait til the indoor jobs are over so I can enjoy the garden jobs instead:j. I LOVE being in the garden :)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family