Great 'What discounts can I get now I'm over 60?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Morag30
    Options
    In Scotland, over 60s can register at any chemist for the MAS - you just need your bus pass - and all non prescription medicines are free.
  • value12
    value12 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    The Royal Borough of Maidenhead & Windsor runs a pilot scheme with East Berkshire PCT in the form of a charity 'SMILE' offering reduced fees for a wide range of activities designed to maintain or increase mobility in the 60+ age group.

Not limited to residents in the borough. (We live in South Bucks)
    The charity totals over 500 members and activities include aerobics, pilates, short tennis, yoga and our favourite ballroom dancing,

See Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead web site. Enter 'SMILE whats on'

• shortlee
    shortlee Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Riverbird wrote: »
    The Scottish National Trust gives you free entry to all English National Trust properties and car parks. Their older age membership also makes it cheaper to join than the English one, and there is no qualifying previous membership required.
    You can also pay by monthly instalment. No English handbook guide though, but an excellent Scottish one. Not quite sure why the English NT makes it much harder. I only had four years membership previously so could not take advantage so changed to SNT. Brilliant and fast service when joining or with questions.

Similarly with Historic Scotland- cheaper than English Heritage , but can access properties all around UK. We joined both over 25 years ago as life members and have saved a fortune. Can often pick up NT and English Heritage info books at charity shops- and the info is online also.
  • stevenpc
    stevenpc Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 May 2010 at 10:04PM
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    This says it is
    dot50 link
    Link gleaned by checking this entire huge thread - I like to be sure I'm not missing anything. It turns out I did - I didn't know about the Boots over 60s and just bought a new electric razor last weeek. Grrrr!!

I dont think the above site is up to date as i tried getting the poundstretcher discount and was told they know nothing about it so i emailed there customer services this is the reply
    Thank you for your below query, I can confirm that there are currently no discounts available for over 60s in our sites, however there are always a number of great offers available in our sites and as always our prices are kept low
    Kind Regards
    Customer Services
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    You can still register your boots card and you will get special discount offers.
    We have to buy incontinence pads for MIL on such an offer.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    harryhound wrote: »
    You can still register your boots card and you will get special discount offers.
    We have to buy incontinence pads for MIL on such an offer.
    Does she not get anything on prescription? Perhaps via an incontinence nurse rather than through GP. No direct experience, but surprised if my dad was paying for them ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    Too proud and too posh to wear NHS ones.

She pays, we just get them.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Does she not get anything on prescription? Perhaps via an incontinence nurse rather than through GP. No direct experience, but surprised if my dad was paying for them ...

Having needed incontinence products before, I received them free thus:-

Via GP, requested a district nurse assess my needs.
    She then recommended pads, pants etc.
    I collected them every week/month (can't remember) so never paid a penny.
  • MissConStru
    MissConStru Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    PP60 wrote: »
    The Boots discount for over 60's has been mentioned, but it is so easy to set up.
    I love that in their special over 60s package they offer a "Free eye test at Boots optician".

Such wondrous generosity! :rotfl:

Also known as "Flaglady" because I love using flags in church!
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    diesel1950 wrote: »
    I was 60 last week, my bus company (GMPT) sent me my bus pass 2 weeks before my birthday.

I made an application 6wks before 60th but had to wait until my pension started...1 month later
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback