980L usage per day?!?!

Got my water bill today, in total shock, it's showing I've used 980L per day! The bill's around £500!
I live on my own so I'm pretty sure I'm not using that much!
I called Wessex Water & they've told me I need to get a stop tap fitted in the house - which I don't have. The stop tap is next to the meter under the cap by the pavement.
They took the last meter reading 6 days ago - you'd think a red flag would have been raised & they would have contacted me but no!
So I have a plumber coming tomorrow to fit me up with a stop tap indoors so we/ Wessex Water can find the leak.
Surely if it was an internal leak I'd know about it?!?!... or not? that's about 4 bath loads isn't it?

Comments

• lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    are all the readings Actual readings - not just the current one?
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • Dannii75
    Dannii75 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    lindens wrote: »
    are all the readings Actual readings - not just the current one?

Hi,
    they're saying the readings are actual readings.
    The WW chap read the meter on the 8th Jan: 377
    I read it this morning: 384

Thank you

D
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 January 2020 at 11:26AM
    8th January to 13th January and the meter has increased by 7 - that's 1400 litres or 1.4 cubic meters a day.

Ask WW if they have a leak allowance which they could give you.

Are there definately no signs of any leaks?

Dripping taps or leaking toilet cisterns?

Soggy ground anywhere from the meter to the property?

Is the meter supplying only your property or has it been put on a shared supply?

What happens if you turn off the tap located by the meter - does any neighbour complain about their water supply being shut off?
  • Dannii75
    D_M_E wrote: »
    8th January to 13th January and the meter has increased by 7 - that's 1400 litres or 1.4 cubic meters a day.

Ask WW if they have a leak allowance which they could give you.

Are there definately no signs of any leaks?

Dripping taps or leaking toilet cisterns?

Soggy ground anywhere from the meter to the property?

When I spoke to WW they told me not to worry about the bill until it's been looked in to properly. They're sending someone to check the meter reading is correct within 5 days & once I've got my internal stop-tap fitted I need to call them.
    No dripping taps or leaky cistern. I have a concrete driveway from the external stop-tap to the house.. the cost of the potential of fixing this is concerning me massively!
    Thank you for your reply.
  • Dannii75
    edited 13 January 2020 at 11:37AM
    UPDATE:
    to read the meter earlier, which is 6 inches below the cap, I emptied the hole... I just went out onto the street - it's filled to the brim already!
    It's not raining here btw!
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2020 at 12:05PM
    Dannii75 wrote: »
    UPDATE:
    to read the meter earlier, which is 6 inches below the cap, I emptied the hole... I just went out onto the street - it's filled to the brim already!
    It's not raining here btw!

If the leak is by the hole in the street the water board will be responsible. Even if the leak is your side, if the hole is filling with water they'd be hard pushed to make you pay as the pipe connection to the meter has to be undertaken by them or a certified contractor.
  • Dannii75
    Swipe wrote: »
    If the leak is by the hole in the street the water board will be responsible. Even if the leak is your side, if the hole is filling with water they'd be hard pushed to make you pay as the pipe connection to the meter has to be undertaken by them or a certified contractor.

I hope I'm right in my thinking! But it also seems they'll only do something after I've paid for an internal stop-tap to be fitted! Which actually isn't a bad idea anyway so I'll pay for it. Fingers crossed! Deep breaths for me in the meantime!
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Dannii75 wrote: »
    I hope I'm right in my thinking! But it also seems they'll only do something after I've paid for an internal stop-tap to be fitted! Which actually isn't a bad idea anyway so I'll pay for it. Fingers crossed! Deep breaths for me in the meantime!

Yes, definitely worth having an internal stop tap fitted, regardless of the external leak.
  • Dannii75
    Swipe wrote: »
    Yes, definitely worth having an internal stop tap fitted, regardless of the external leak.

Thank you, yes it's the sensible thing to do!

The plumber's just been & she can sort it out tomorrow for me! At least then we'll know if it's me or WW!
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    You may need to play 'hard ball' with WW, as they will claim that you are responsible for everything after the meter, including the pipe under you driveway. If it's the meter itself leaking, then that's down to them.

Your house insurance may cover this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport