PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House buying

Options
Hi all,

Its been a long long time since I've posted on here and life has been hectic! My husband and I are hoping to, in the near future, but our own home.

We are both working full time and earning an okay income. I am self employed and husband is employed.

We stupidly started looking at houses with a view of keeping our eyes on the market, and have now started feeling impatient and wanting our own house NOW. We are looking at being able to get a mortgage of approximately £170,000. We currently save but we only have £2000. I have a help to buy ISA and hubby has a share save scheme through his work. We save £450 per month but have scope to save more.

We have a car on finance to pay off, I have a credit card with £1800, a sofa on 0% finance to pay off. Our debt to available credit ratio is approximately 40%.

We rent and our rent is very low. We have two children and don't pay childcare.

We have received a lot of advice, some good and some very bad and so thought I would come here to keep us on the straight and narrow!

We both keep a close eye on our credit scores which seem to be doing well and have slowly increased.

Any advice and helo if very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

Comments

• steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is great that you have a goal. However it sounds like you need to save much more to have a viable deposit.

The best advice I can give you is to stop buying things on finance.

If you buy something on finance, you are usually both overpaying for the basic product and paying through the nose for the finance.

If you need to use finance to buy a car or a sofa - you can't afford it.

Save for it instead. That way the money you are spending will seem much more 'real' than a monthly payment, so you'll think more carefully before spending.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Stop looking for houses as this will give you false hope, you need to hammer your own debt and start to save, 2000 is not enough to even cover the stamp duty and solicitor costs e.t.c.

Try the debt free wannabee forum, patience is key here
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • krustylouise
    krustylouise Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can see exactly what you're saying. The car we bought was a 7 seater, I needed it for the job I do and having it has allowed me to earn more money.

The sofa - totally unnecessary buy but we have it and are paying it off now.

Credit card has been transferred to a lower APR one and I'm paying it off monthly.

Realistically what deposit should we be looking at? Would 5% be enough? Obviously I know the bigger the better in terms of deposit but what is the general consensus?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated - thank you.

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So you've only really been saving 2-3 months, or do you keep dipping into your savings?

Some things week can want and buy immediately (as you've experienced!) but you really will have to dig deep for a lot more patience when it comes to buying a house.

Clear the debt before saving a penny. Counterproductive otherwise. You're paying to borrow what you already have!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    You don't have £2000 in savings. You only have £200. That is the differecnce between the debt on your credit card and your savings. The debt almost wipes out all of your savings. Debt cancels out savings.

To buy a house worth about £170k you are going to need a 10% deposit plus around £2k in money for buying costs so you should probably aim to save around £20k. However you will never do this if you keep buying on credit or taking out car finance.

Out of that £20,000 so far you have managed to save about £200. If you want to buy a house you need to do some serious saving.

There is no point in looking at houses to buy now. Have you really only been saving for 4 months? If so this is much too soon to be looking at houses. To be buying a house now you needed to have started saving several years ago.
  • krustylouise
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Stop looking for houses as this will give you false hope, you need to hammer your own debt and start to save, 2000 is not enough to even cover the stamp duty and solicitor costs e.t.c.

Try the debt free wannabee forum, patience is key here

You're absolutely right. I think we have been naive in our quest. We didn't even consider stamp duty.

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

• krustylouise
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    So you've only really been saving 2-3 months, or do you keep dipping into your savings?

Some things week can want and buy immediately (as you've experienced!) but you really will have to dig deep for a lot more patience when it comes to buying a house.

Clear the debt before saving a penny. Counterproductive otherwise. You're paying to borrow what you already have!

Yes we only started saying 4 months ago. My husband had a lump sum come out of his wages every month, this will be saved over a period of 3 years and at the end of the 3 years we have the option to get it all out or put it in shares and hopefully see growth. The amount is guaranteed so we can't lose money we have put in. I also have a help to buy isa that I transfer £200pm to. I also have money that I pay off the credit card with.

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

• krustylouise
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    You don't have £2000 in savings. You only have £200. That is the differecnce between the debt on your credit card and your savings. The debt almost wipes out all of your savings. Debt cancels out savings.

To buy a house worth about £170k you are going to need a 10% deposit plus around £2k in money for buying costs so you should probably aim to save around £20k. However you will never do this if you keep buying on credit or taking out car finance.

Out of that £20,000 so far you have managed to save about £200. If you want to buy a house you need to do some serious saving.

There is no point in looking at houses to buy now. Have you really only been saving for 4 months? If so this is much too soon to be looking at houses. To be buying a house now you needed to have started saving several years ago.

Wow really? Several years? That's a real bump back down to reality!

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    Wow really? Several years? That's a real bump back down to reality!

Well you can work it out. Realistically to get a mortgage you are going to need to have 10% of the purchase price saved in the bank so that for a £170,000 house is £17,000. So you need £17,000 in savings just for the deposit. Then on top of that you also have to have saved to pay for the stamp duty, solicitors fees, removal costs, and fees for surveys so you can work out how much that would be. That has to be saved before you start to look at houses. So you can work out how long that will take at £450 per month say £5000 a year roughly. At that rate you are looking at 4 years. The only way you can make it quicker is to save more.

At the rate you are saving at the moment you will be ready to buy in about 4 years time if you don't buy anything else on credit and if you don't buy another car on finance.

There is no point in looking at houses now.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 May 2018 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »

At the rate you are saving at the moment you will be ready to buy in about 4 years time if you don't buy anything else on credit and if you don't buy another car on finance.
    Presuming prices stay roughly the same (or drop!) or in line with your pay rises, etc. My last house nearly doubled in price in 3-4 years.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport