NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!

Comments

• Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    NSD: 3/19 Was a spend day today.
    Motivation: To be more mindful regarding spending. This is going to be ongoing.
    Money: The budget for each category is done.
    Me time: Read books at different parts of the day.
    Move: Just some walking doing errands in school. Also walked from school to bus stop.
    Activation: This thread at the moment.
    Arm yourself: Will have to stand strong in my quest against consumerism and acquiring more. Still doing this. So far resisted using vouchers or code to buy things.
    You.
    Grateful for:
    Lovely weather.
    Finishing work at 4.30pm.
    Managing to achieve quite a bit in work.
    Booking a GP appointment during half term.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    greent wrote: »
    Chicken goujons - definitely

Milk - yes - just freeze it standing up if it's already been opened. Maybe decant into smaller bottles if it's a large one and close to/ on its use by date :)

Veggies - yes - usually (not cucumber! ;):D) Some may need blanching, some not. Some are only really good for throwing into 'mixed' dishes (chilli, Bolognese, shepherds pie, casseroles) once defrosted (mushrooms are a good example of this)
    Hard to say more without knowing which veggies! :)
    x

Thanks for this advice :D Much appreciated. The milk and goujons are in the freezer. I don't have many veggies left - carrots, courgettes and peppers, which I may just make into a soup.
    I didn't get round to ringing a solicitor today, however I did get round to phoning my husband to try and arrange for him to see the kids, which was draining enough. I did do the other annoying jobs though and I also managed to bag a nsd so I'm really pleased about that.
    IW - I don't know what is going on but take care of yourself as best as you can.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Thanks for this advice :D Much appreciated. The milk and goujons are in the freezer. I don't have many veggies left - carrots, courgettes and peppers, which I may just make into a soup.

I have all 3 of those in my freezer at the mo :) I grate courgette (or chunk it) and use it in chilli/ Bolognese/ mince dishes/ soup. Or spiralise it and use it in place off spaghetti :) (need to dry it off a bit of spiralising and freezing) Peppers - cut into chunks/ strips and freeze in bags - use in stir fries/ curries/ chilli/ bolognaise/ soup... Carrots - I currently have grated in my freezer (for using in lentil soup) and small blanched ones (which I will roast, but could be chopped further for mince or steamed/ boiled)

I love my freezer to minimise waste :D:D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Motivation: Short term - earned £50 from online market research - will pay towards CC when rec'd. Medium - Made £10 OP to BTL mtge. -
    Money: Spent more at TEsc0 tonight than planned, but did bag lots of YS items and bought 2 x 9 pack loo rolls (on offer and then I had £1 coupon off each) Also got a couple of free items through shopping apps :T
    Me time: look after yourself. Dealt with a couple of frogs, to get them cleared and stop bothering me. Drank lots (non alcoholic!) and ate 5 f&v :)
    Move: a day of paperwork. Sadly lacking in even steps (only 5.5k)

Activation: Have been doing lots of research on S&S ISAs before taking the plunge.

Arm yourself :Only non-food/ household (loo rolls) items bought so far this month = 2 x small bday gift for sister and some colloidal plasters for a deep wound on my leg which is taking a long time to heal (so medicinal) Nothing acquired. Have also sold 1 item on fleabay and listed 2 other things.

You. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful.
    * stood watching guinea pigs eating grass earlier and took photos of them, as they are pretty cute :)
    * unexpected YS items :)
    * coupons which were useful
    * freebies
    * line dried washing - love the smell

19 NSD: 2/19.

Foodbank/ charity donation of £5. - monthly DD to WWT. Bag of items donated to shoebox appeal

Pay to your debt/savings FIRST and live off the rest. - done

Plan the month: every single day: what you are doing, what you are eating, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term, birthdays, anniversaries. - to do (started - have written in work days, day when collecting DD from uni, DS3's, my mum's, my sister's, my aunt's and bestie's husband's bdays... Am not going to plan food, though).

Check in every day. ok
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Tackled paperwork stuff today no spending involved so now up to NSD #3/19.

Grateful for the sunshine, being able to help friends out and staying home over a Bank Holiday weekend.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
    • 12 NSDs - 2/12
    • Budgets - £250 food and £100 social - £41.51 food and £3.35 social
    • Continue batch cooking for the little one (remembering to include a larger variety of meals) - planning to make some veggie omelettes and a veggie lasagna at the weekend to pop in the freezer
    • Make an extra £93 through surveys - £31.69 made to date
    • Continue building the full and final fund - £30.93 added to date
    • I'm making up Christmas gift boxes for local disadvantaged children. So far I've done two teenage boys and started on a boy 9-12 months but still more to get for him so I'll continue with that
    • Plans - safari park and dinner/new avengers movie. Will also allow for a visit to soft play and I need to take the little one swimming as we're holidaying in June and he's never been in a pool - safari park cancelled, soft play on the 12th with friend and her daughter
    • Read as much as possible - 1 book in progress, 1 book finished
    • Finish my final OU essay for this module
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Today I am grateful for the ticket barrier man letting me through before 9.30 which meant that I was in bham by midday, for wondrous train connections, for taking time on the journey just to sit and stare (out of the window, not at the other passengers!!), for a nice time with mum, for meeting big sis for a hot drink and spending 90+ mins nattering away together, for a friend lending us her hoover, for looking at some of my dad's slides with big sis, for a walk in the woods full of bluebells,for lots of walking.

Indigo warrior - thinking of you.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi all :j

Motivation: what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? My motivation is to cut down on the unnecessary spending and pay for some renovations to this property. In order to do this I think we need to be saving money by doing any jobs we can realistically (!) do ourselves. Have done more on the garden today, dratted rockeries, astonishing how many weeds can grow in the 12 days we were away...ah well. DH did his bit by going round with the weedkiller in certain areas - unsupervised - so we will see what happens. Also need to do painting outside so if weather is good, then may have to do that this weekend..

Money: know your income and outgoings. All DD bills should have gone out by now and I am going to add up our income, that won't take very long.. so far have done one grocery shop, have receipt for that to hand. Grocery bill so far £25.43.

Me time: look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. Got enough sleep but then did a bit too much today, thought we were going out this afternoon but then change of plan so had more clearing to do. Ate OK but then we had fish & chips as a treat, so not that good. Enjoy gardening but feel pressure atm as everything needs doing & it's hard to prioritise.

Move: being active benefits your body and your mind. You know that. Now do it. Gardening again plus mowing, it is a real work out as far as I am concerned..

Activation: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Have not done much decluttering but have identified some items to sell to a fellow collector. Just need to find out how to price, which will be tricky as rare items & not available so need to research somehow. Have emailed someone to ask re this, then also will do some ebay this weekend.

Arm yourself : you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Still looking but so far resisting purchasing anything.

You. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Don’t just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful. Gratitudes for the nice weather, for progress, for cute kitten & lovely dogs, for help & support on this forum.

NSD s 3/19 so far

Check ins: 4/31

Not done charity donation yet but will arrange asap.

Indigo Warrior - hope things improve soon.
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2018 at 8:48AM
    Good morning. Today will be a spend day. But only for a top up shop as we have loads of main things left which is unusual for a Sat shop. Also need a present and bday cake for DS. Will back one for his actual party next week.

Better eat the freezer empty as it needs defrosting.

Kids also need new undies etc. But DS school uniform will have to do till the summer. The shirts don't look as white anymore and two out of his three trousers are through at the knee. The weather better get warmer soon as I'll make then into shorts.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 769 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good morning lovely Turtles

Indigo warrior sending you lots of hugs, hang in there.

So yesterday was a spend day putting me back on 2. Hub took the car into the garage for me, it passed but he did stop to buy some flowers on the way home for our garden. We spent the whole afternoon in the garden cleaning the kids toys and getting it summer ready.
    a big YS shop last night means my cupboards are now full to bursting & I need to stop adding to it & start getting through it. tomorrow I will do a meal plan & bake an apple pie with some left over apples :) some left over chicken will make a nice stir fry & at some point I'll do a lemon drizzle for the boys with some reduced lemons.
    off to a show this afternoon with my boy & his friend. I'll be stopping on the way to pay a cheque in & spend an M&S voucher I have .

Grateful for - my husband who really does go without for the dream of buying our own home, time spent pottering in the garden & BBQ plans :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure