Do I need a new PC?

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    esuhl wrote: »
    If you've hacked the firmware to change the Windows product key to install a dodgy copy of Windows, fair enough. But why mislead the OP about what they're doing?

It should be common sense not to download BIOS firmware from a dodgy filesharing website, so you're going need more than a belief that others have implicit trust in you to explain why this is an exceptional case.

This is a typical example of the ignorance written by the two bluffers on this thread.

"hacked the firmware to change the Windows product key"?? This clearly illustrates that you haven't a clue as to what you are talking about.
    There is no product key contained within legacy BIOS. So how can you change something that is not there?? Even if you could add a product key, where would you put it and how would it activate the device?
    What key would this be to work so seamlessly?
    I've never even heard of such a thing.
    You are desperately skimming articles hoping to gain some knowledge to bolster your argument, but failing miserably.

In fact, the Product Key is contained within the Dell Media. This illustrates that you simply haven't a clue of what it is that you are talking about.

Pray tell me....what would be a non-dodgy filesharing site? Google Drive? DropBox?
    Why do you insist on making yourself look silly.

If as AndyPix suggested, DELL had pulled the BIOS update from their website, but someone had backed it up before they did so, on which filesharing site would you prefer it presented to you?

You should really stop, you are only showing yourself up.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Perhaps someone, two guesses as to whom, reported them as something malign.
    Now perhaps you see the result of silly fear-mongering, as opposed to intelligent discussion.
    There was no fear of malign code, only a silly argument about whether Royalty OEM is 'legal' without paying Royalty fees to the OEM. DELL in this case.
    Conveniently forgetting that selling OEM licences without them being pre-installed to a machine is also not 'legal'.
    Truth is that the two arguing didn't even understand the difference between Royalty OEM and System Builder OEM and were simply bluffing 'on the fly'.
    Not a good reflection on you to hitch your wagon to them.
    The people with the knowledge here don't want to get into childish arguments with relative novices.
    Suffice to say, they don't know what they are talking about and have only harmed the people who know even less than them by making them even more fearful.

Who knows, but you are trying to deflect

You posted a link to a file on a sharing site saying install this without saying what it was where it came from...

No mater how smart or knowledgeable you are that was a very naive action.

should have added something like, this is the latest/last Bios that Dell produced for these machines but is no longer available from Dell.

I don't pick side everyone has Zero credibility on the internet till they prove otherwise.
  • EveryWhere

You posted a link to a file on a sharing site saying install this without saying what it was where it came from...

should have added something like, this is the latest/last Bios that Dell produced for these machines but is no longer available from Dell.

I don't pick side everyone has Zero credibility on the internet till they prove otherwise.

Deflect? This is classic.
    Someone who hasn't the slightest idea about the workings of a PC, telling an expert how he should talk someone through an upgrade.
    Laughable. :)
    I'm not deflecting, because I am not arguing. There are no sides.
    I know what is what and you and the infamous two are dealing in conjecture.
    If you don't want to make use of the BIOS, don't.
    No argument from me. No one is paying me and I don't need to try to convince you.
    I just stated the facts.
    As I wrote earlier, you stick with Vista. Don't confuse yourself with things you simply don't understand.
    Have a nice day. :)
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Deflect? This is classic.

All that anyone has asked is that you explain yourself.

Downloading a BIOS from anyone other than the manufacturer's website is an obvious security risk. Even if it is safe and you are the most trustworthy man alive, it is dangerous to encourage newbies to engage in such risky behaviour.

No one is questioning your superior knowledge. We are just asking you to share it with us.

Because... the lack of an explanation, and your continued attempts to deflect the conversation away from the technical details of what it is you are suggesting, leave other "techies" reading this somewhat concerned about the validity of the advice you're giving.

If as AndyPix suggested, DELL had pulled the BIOS update from their website, but someone had backed it up before they did so, on which filesharing site would you prefer it presented to you?

Why on earth would Dell pull the BIOS update from their website unless there was a problem with it?! Have you even checked the support site? Here are the OFFICIAL BIOS versions that haven't been hacked by random people:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/product-support/product/inspiron-530s/drivers

The latest one is v. 1.0.18. I suggest the OP consider upgrading to this version if they want to try Windows 10 again.

You should really stop, you are only showing yourself up.

Funnily enough, those were exactly my thoughts about you.

Unless you can fully explain why you are suggesting that someone installs a potentially corrupt BIOS version... And what problems led to Dell removing it from their website... then you have lost the argument and made a fool of yourself.

So... Will you explain your reasons for installing BIOS firmware from an untrustworthy source? Explain why it was pulled by Dell? Explain why the user should install a BIOS against the advice of the manufacturer?

Or will you concede that you are encouraging someone to use a hacked BIOS without even having the courtesy to explain what you are suggesting and its implications?
  • EveryWhere
    Just so that you know;

esul.jpg

I took it off temporarily earlier to see if you had anything of interest to add.
    But after reading the embarrassing "hacked the firmware to change the Windows product key" statement, it is clear that I am not communicating with a peer.

There is no benefit in wasting my time with fruitless discussions.

Proverbs 26:4: Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
  • trigger_fish
    trigger_fish Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just so that you know;

esul.jpg

I took it off temporarily earlier to see if you had anything of interest to add.
    But after reading the embarrassing "hacked the firmware to change the Windows product key" statement, it is clear that I am not communicating with a peer.

Proverbs 26:4: Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.

'Who is the bigger fool. The fool or the fool that follows the fool'-Obi Kenobi, Star Wars.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Downloading a BIOS from anyone other than the manufacturer's website is an obvious security risk. Even if it is safe and you are the most trustworthy man alive, it is dangerous to encourage newbies to engage in such risky behaviour.

I agree somewhat - but you know the guy's history who is advising this

No one is questioning your superior knowledge. We are just asking you to share it with us.
    It's like he's being called out - i dont blame him for not expanding further when comically wrong statements have been thrown around whilst he is just trying to help - I wouldnt either
    Why on earth would Dell pull the BIOS update from their website unless there was a problem with it?! Have you even checked the support site? Here are the OFFICIAL BIOS versions that haven't been hacked by random people:.

Sheesh :( Nothing has been hacked by anyone !!
    You must know that when a newer BIOS is released, the older one is replaced on the support site - and it is the older BIOS that is needed for this upgrade path

So... Will you explain your reasons for installing BIOS firmware from an untrustworthy source? Explain why it was pulled by Dell? Explain why the user should install a BIOS against the advice of the manufacturer?

The reason for the alternative source is because it is no longer available on the Dell site - as with any superceded BIOS update - It wasnt "pulled" by Dell, a newer version simply came out so that is the version that is now available from their site ..

This thread has gone crazy - and some people who I consider quite tech savvy normally - have failed horribly to understand the gist of it !
  • ChuckMountain
    ChuckMountain Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May 2018 at 4:27PM
    You didn't ask about the BIOS. It is the latest and greatest.

Yep, its actually the same starting version as on Dell's website 1.0.18, which is still there. It has however been modified to change the SLP version from 2.0 to 2.1. No prizes for the fact that enables Windows 7 to be installed on a modified machine with the right media. Yep if you mod the bios in the right way on a machine that predated the upgrade path you can get round it :)
    AndyPix wrote: »
    You must know that when a newer BIOS is released, the older one is replaced on the support site - and it is the older BIOS that is needed for this upgrade path

The reason for the alternative source is because it is no longer available on the Dell site - as with any superceded BIOS update - It wasnt "pulled" by Dell, a newer version simply came out so that is the version that is now available from their site ..

Erm no! Dell, HP and Intel etc. all carry multiple versions of drivers and bios on their website. They don't generally remove them unless there was an issue with them, i.e start bricking people's machines. Not all versions might get a public release either so you may get gaps in version numbers.

Also would be great for those newer machines that if they were eligible for Win 7 to install the latest version of the bios from Dell only to then find that actually you cannot reinstall Windows anymore if Dell had actually removed it ...

If the shared bios link was a legitimate Dell bios that had been removed from their website, it would have had a different Bios version file and number as the base for a start. It really should have some sort of release log too.

There is a healthy community around modding the Inspiron 530s as it is based on an Award bios. Some people mod it to allow overclocking, enabled locked features, others to allow different Windows installs. However all have a caveat use with caution, some actually go further and state you should get the latest version from the Dell website and mod yourself. I appreciate that will only appeal to a smaller number of people and we get into a narrower technical field so a prepared one might appeal, especially with the promise of free Windows 7.
    If you've hacked the firmware to change the Windows product key to install a dodgy copy of Windows, fair enough. But why mislead the OP about what they're doing?

It should be common sense not to download BIOS firmware from a dodgy filesharing website, so you're going need more than a belief that others have implicit trust in you to explain why this is an exceptional case.

Yep agree and it's the trust issue. Other than the Windows 7 there is no reason to download the version he linked to. There is a risk that that the bios has been compromised and you are supposed to just trust that. It is easy enough to mod the bios for all the wrong reasons too.

Except he cannot say that as it is still version 1.0.18 the same version as on Dell but with tweaks from a 3rd party source, could be him, could be anybody else with whatever intentions....

Or he is trying his luck at Social Engineering ;)
    I'm not deflecting, because I am not arguing

Of course you are, you try going in a different direction each time you don't like answering questions e.g. : -

1) Let's move the discussion to talk about the selling of System Builder OEM licences on Fleabay and whether that should be legal - no as that has no relevance to the thread
    2) Picking a few points and twisting them as have not actually quoted them
    3) Generally insulting people because they are asking you questions that you don't want to answer or just putting them on ignore :)

It's like he's being called out - i dont blame him for not expanding further when comically wrong statements have been thrown around whilst he is just trying to help - I wouldnt either

It works both ways have a polite discussion and argument but don't insult peoples intelligent or pretend that he is vastly superior in his knowledge.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament

NO that's why people question the "down load this file"

so I looked

It don't look good

very poor thanked rating for an "expert"

does not like thanking people 32 in 7 months

<260 posts of those 152 are on 56 threads are on the tech forum

There is no substantial history with that contribution

I could trawl through to see the quality of the posts

Posting a link to an unknown file on a sharing site without saying what it is is a basic novice error, and not a way to gain trust

How many of those 56 threads offered the same?

There are 2 basic unanswered questions without simple explanations.

1. what was that BIOS?

2. What is the legal FREE upgrade route from vista from these old Dell 530 machines to an newer MS OS?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

I've no idea of this guy's history or who is is at all. But, even if I trusted him, I'd expect some kind of explanation as to why downloading a BIOS from a "dodgy" source is necessary. Not a post asking a user to blindly follow instructions.

All anyone has asked for is clarification.

Asking a user to blindly install a BIOS from an untrustworthy source and then refusing to explain why sets off all sorts of alarm bells.

Anyone with a valid reason to suggest someone install such a BIOS would be able to explain why it is a good idea. EveryWhere has repeatedly refused to do so, making it look like he is giving unjustifiably bad advice. So he's quite rightly been "called out" for this.

ChuckMountains examination of the BIOS file suggests otherwise. And EveryWhere was unable to explain why this version was necessary.

That's not something I've ever come across. The manufacturers sites I've used have always made every BIOS version available.

Again, EveryWhere could have explained this if he wanted to retain any credibility.
    This thread has gone crazy - and some people who I consider quite tech savvy normally - have failed horribly to understand the gist of it !

I agree. Instead of leaving everyone wondering why on earth you'd want to install what appears to be a hacked version of a BIOS from a dodgy source, EveryWhere could have just explained himself and the thread could have remained on-track and helped the OP. Maybe a more trustworthy source could be found for that BIOS version.

Just so that you know;

esul.jpg

Ha ha! You even went to the effort to post a screenshot! :rotfl:

Clearly I'm not communicating with a peer, as anyone with an ounce of sense wouldn't order a newbie to install a dodgy BIOS without justification.

Please can you put everyone else you disagree with on "ignore" too -- that way we can have an open discussion about any more questionable advice you give without you interrupting all the time when you have nothing interesting to say? (I know you'll take me off ignore again to read this! :-P)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure