Bin store planning permission?

We want to tidy up our front garden and our bins are so ugly that we thought we'd hide them. We want to buy a ready made wooden cupboard but can't work out if we need permission because it will be at the front of the house . It will be about 4.5 metres away from the road. We live on an unadopted road which is basically a track. No traffic other than 4 neighbours and horses. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks

Comments

• My advice would be: it!!!8217;s just a bin store. Who!!!8217;s going to complain? And if somebody did complain and the council decided a) it required planning and b) it was worthy of enforcement how much hassle would it be for you to then apply for retrospective permission or simply remove the bin store?

Personally I!!!8217;d just get on with.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    NIKE

Just do it

:D
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    alystotty wrote: »
    We want to tidy up our front garden and our bins are so ugly that we thought we'd hide them. We want to buy a ready made wooden cupboard but can't work out if we need permission because it will be at the front of the house . It will be about 4.5 metres away from the road. We live on an unadopted road which is basically a track. No traffic other than 4 neighbours and horses. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks

Will it be a lean-to, or detached? How big will it be?

Generally, sheds and storage structures are unproblematic, but there are potential building regs depending on the size and location. If you Google *building regulations* (not "planning permission), you should find useful summaries of the exceptions.

As someone who is going through a retrospective building consent process for a shed I inherited from the owner of my current house, I'd say better to be sure than and up having to knock the blinking thing down and start again (very unlikely, but why take the risk?).

And you never know who might report it ... take it from me.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving wrote: »
    As someone who is going through a retrospective building consent process for a shed I inherited from the owner of my current house, I'd say better to be sure than and up having to knock the blinking thing down and start again (very unlikely, but why take the risk?).

It's a judgment call of course. It depends what we're talking about. If we're talking about a small, simple structure that doesn't cost much more than £100 or so, there's probably little risk in not bothering.

If we're talking a decent quality shed in the £500-1000 range (or possibly more), then not applying for PP if needed might be a costly mistake.

Even if somebody does report it, the council still has to evaluate any potential breach and consider if its worth the cost of enforcement.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It's a judgment call of course. It depends what we're talking about. If we're talking about a small, simple structure that doesn't cost much more than £100 or so, there's probably little risk in not bothering.

If we're talking a decent quality shed in the £500-1000 range (or possibly more), then not applying for PP if needed might be a costly mistake.

Even if somebody does report it, the council still has to evaluate any potential breach and consider if its worth the cost of enforcement.

Considering my council hasn't repaired a pothole since the last millennium, they were at my house within 4 hours of receiving a mysterious call about my shed, called me 2 hours later with a follow-up, and sent a letter a few days later. All extremely bizarre, but an illustration that anything is possible.

As you say, though, a small cheap structure (especially if moveable) is worth the risk of not bothering. I think in the vast majority of cases, the council wouldn't bother with a potential violation unless you have a snitch for a neighbour.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • alystotty
    alystotty Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It will be fairly cheap, under £200, so I think we'll give it a go and see what happens.
  • alystotty
    alystotty Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    It will be detached and literally just big enough to hold 3 wheelie bins. I know what you mean though as a neighbour further down the lane put up a oil tank store without permission and they had to apply for retrospective planning permission. This will be much smaller though.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    alystotty wrote: »
    a neighbour further down the lane put up a oil tank store without permission and they had to apply for retrospective planning permission. This will be much smaller though.

An oil tank store has to meet regulations regarding fire safety etc.

So far as I know, no one has yet drafted regulations concerning bin stores, with regard to the hazards they might create.

I built a bin store in my front garden. It's a fence in a U shape. I don't mind my bins getting wet.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    £200? For bins I'd make my own, would be less than £80 I would think, MSE option!
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    My advice would be: it's just a bin store. Who's going to complain? And if somebody did complain and the council decided a) it required planning and b) it was worthy of enforcement how much hassle would it be for you to then apply for retrospective permission or simply remove the bin store?

Personally I'd just get on with.

The exception to that would be if the property was listed or in a conservation area, the OP doesn't say, but if it is, even something as innocuous as a bin store could create unnecessary tension with neighbours and the local planning department.

As the OP says it will be at the 'front' of the property it sounds likely that planning consent would be required.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport